Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:08 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 States allow weapons in bars 
 Post subject: States allow weapons in bars
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:33 am 

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/jul/14/arizona-tennessee-gun-law-debate

US gun debate fires up as states allow weapons in bars

Up to 375,000 registered gun owners in Arizona and Tennessee were today given the right to carry concealed guns into bars and restaurants that serve alcohol, in the latest example of loosening gun laws in a country already renowned for its lax approach to firearms.

The change of the two states' gun laws marks a trend across the US towards increased rights for gun owners despite a spate of bloody rampages in recent months that have seen scores of Americans die. Advocates of the second amendment's right to bear arms argue that in the wake such shooting sprees, citizens should be able to defend themselves by carrying guns in public places.

But opponents say this is the logic of the mad house. Groups calling for greater regulation of gun ownership are opposing a move at the federal level to extend the right to carry concealed weapons to all 50 states.

Today, Tennessee granted its 250,000 citizens with gun licences the right to carry handguns into bars and restaurants that serve alcohol. Restaurant owners made a last-minute attempt to block the change, saying it was bad for business, but their appeal was rejected by the courts.

Randy Rayburn, one of the restaurant owner plaintiffs, told a local TV network: "I'm not worried about the 99% of gun owners who are permit holders. I'm worried about the 1 or 2% of would-be Dirty Harrys who are going to carry out their attempts at vigilante justice."

The governor of Arizona, Jan Brewer, signed a similar rule change yesterday allowing the 125,000 people in possession of a permit to carry concealed weapons to bring their guns into bars and restaurants.

At the federal level, a bill currently before the Senate would dramatically reduce gun controls at state level by extending the right of anyone with a local permit to carry a concealed weapon in public to do so anywhere in the 50 states. Opponents say that would diminish controls to the lowest common denominator.

"This is ridiculously stupid and a horrible idea. It's bad public policy though as we all know good public policy has little to do with America's gun laws," said Peter Hamm of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence.

The campaign points out that this year alone there have been three mass shootings carried out by men with licences to carry concealed guns. In February, Frank Garcia killed four people "execution-style" in upstate New York; in March, Michael McLendon killed 11 people before committing suicide in Alabama; and in April, Richard Poplawski ambushed four police officers in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, killing three.

The only area in which calls for greater rights for gun owners are being rebuffed at local level is the right to carry concealed weapons on university campuses.

In the wake of the Virginia Tech massacre in which 32 people were killed on the campus in April 2007, the National Rifle Association has tried in several states to pass laws allowing students to carry loaded guns into classrooms.

Such was the public revulsion over the massacre, however, that all attempts have so far failed.

IN GOD WE TRUST

Post subject: Re: States allow weapons in bars
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:02 am 

The link doesn't work for me.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:15 am 
Longtime Regular

Fixed link

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:32 pm 
Activist Extraordinaire

Another example of just how good the MPPA was right out of the box.

Thanks again, all who helped craft and shepherd it through the Legislature.

"Some Things Are Worth Fighting For"
Judas Priest

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:44 pm 

The URL is still wrong!!!

It should be: http://www.BloodyUpperMiddleClassLibera ... .co.uk.....

Now where was that article that showed that London had a higher murder rate than any city in the United States??

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:10 pm 

The good news is that this has the Brady people playing defense even though the legislation doesn't have legs. That and the fact that this was even considered and received publicity is indicative of a change in attitude among elected office holders in the Democratic party.

In this day and age, British people get apoplectic about carrying for self-defense. It is so far removed from their everyday experience and culture they can't get their heads around it. To them, carrying a knife or a gun equates to criminality and low social standing.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:15 am 
Longtime Regular

Quote:
and low social standing.
Of course. High class people with money have armed guards. :oops:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:09 am 
Journeyman Member

On another website that I post on, there is a discussion about this. A few anti's have proven themselves to know nothing on carry laws. One challenged me on permit holders and criminal history. I simple post of 2008's stats from the BCA proved them all wrong. In fact, most were pretty much like "wow", that's good. It amazes me that people can hate or be against something so strongly, yet know nothing on the subject. But then again, I'm preaching to the choir here.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:44 pm 
Longtime Regular

lobster wrote:
On another website that I post on, there is a discussion about this. A few anti's have proven themselves to know nothing on carry laws. One challenged me on permit holders and criminal history. I simple post of 2008's stats from the BCA proved them all wrong. In fact, most were pretty much like "wow", that's good. It amazes me that people can hate or be against something so strongly, yet know nothing on the subject.

That's the problem! People get an idea (that they don't like), in their heads and it sticks with them no matter what facts they're presented with. :? :bang:

They're like.....forget the facts.......everybody carrying a gun is 'dangerous'. :roll:

God forbid that they figure out that we have to pass a background check* before a permit is issued.

*Note: Before MN was a 'shall issue' state, my application to carry (back in '97), was denied by the Blue Earth County Sheriff because I couldn't show 'just cause'. Never mind that I had (and still have), no criminal or psychological record what-so-ever. :roll:

Squeeze trigger, BANG, repeat. Kind of boring, but I never cared for drama.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.