Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:32 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 RUGER LCP VS KEL-TEC P3AT 
 Post subject: RUGER LCP VS KEL-TEC P3AT
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:54 am 

I am looking into buying a pocket pistol. Does anyone have any experience with one or the other.

I have checked out both pistols and I am leaning tward the kel tec simply because the trigger does not pull as hard and also the pocket clip.

Im not set on one or the other yet, but the ruger seems like its built a little better.

any advice is welcome.

Last edited by rimshot on Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: RUGER LPC VS KEL-TEC P3AT
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:44 pm 

I had a P3AT second generation it shot flawlessly the hundred or so rounds that I shot in it. I know that a bit ago they could be a hit or miss as far as being reliable. Then again the Ruger has had a recall done on it.. The gun was hard for me to hit anything with at over about 20', it has sights sort of. The gun was extremely easy to conceal. I added the magazine "pinkie" extention. As for what I carried it in, a DeSantis Nemisis about 15.00. It made the gun stable in the pocket (front or rear), easy to get at in a hurry, it covers the trigger (important!), it made the guns outline invisible, it also kept the gun clean of pocket debris.
As to the Ruger, I've never seen, touched or shot one so I can't speak on them. Ruger does make some very fine guns.
I sold the P3AT as I felt that I didn't need it, and if I were to get something for the pocket again, I would get a snubbie .38 perhaps with CTC grips.

my .02
CraigJS

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:08 pm 
Longtime Regular

My P3AT is having fail to eject issues. I've been too lazy to figure it out and fix it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:10 pm 

My LCP arrived yesterday - so far I've been quite happy with it. It will be taking its first trip to the range this weekend.

B

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:34 am 
Longtime Regular

I don't know how many rounds I've put through my LCP. There are about 10 re-used boxes of 380 in my gun room that are all empty. I ordered 500 bullets from Zero when I got the gun, and they're all gone. There are still about 3 boxes of reloads sitting between the 22LR stockpile and the 9mm reloads. That's roughly 1,000 rds. down the pipe. I still can't hit the A zone reliably from beyond about arm's length. Others have said it can be accurate if you put in the time (Paul?). I feel like I have put in the time - for no good reason. Perhaps my expectations are unrealistic. She's reliable though. No failures that I can recall.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:39 am 
Longtime Regular

It was indeed me. I should probably have qualified that wiht: the gun can be accurate if the ergo works for you. you need to put in the time to work out how to hold and how to pull the trigger to get the most out of the gun.

If I stage the trigger perfectly, and pay attention to everything I can put 3 touching shots at 21 feet occasionally. If I draw and fire, I'm on the target, A-B zone hits.

That said, like any gun, it simply may not fit your hand or work out and that's disappointing. I generally think of the LCP as a 5-7 FEET gun though. It's a discreet, REALLY small gun with a THIN grip that's not very deep and has a LONG trigger pull. There's a lot of compromises combining there to make a gun that is dead simple to cary and conceal due to its size and weight.

As with anything in life, it's a trade off.

Since I'm such a nice guy, I'd take the LCP off your hands, no disposal fee or anything :-)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:26 pm 
Longtime Regular

Quote:
Since I'm such a nice guy, I'd take the LCP off your hands, no disposal fee or anything :-)

I can't shoot with it, but I can't get rid of it either. It's the only gun I can conceal in my speedo at the pool. Hafta be really careful when I unholsterdeholsterdraw from there.

On a more serious note, the OP lists the pocket clip as a draw for the Kel-Tec. To the OP, every gun carried should be in a holster. The trigger (especially on a safety-free DA) really needs to be encased and inaccessible until draw. That little pocket clip just looks like an invitation to disaster. I'll apologize in advance if this is old-hat to ya.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:08 pm 
Activist Extraordinaire

bensdad wrote:

Quote:
It's the only gun I can conceal in my speedo at the pool.

I could've done without learning that factoid. :lol:

"Some Things Are Worth Fighting For"
Judas Priest

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:01 pm 

I have a P3AT and have been pleased with it. People who have the LCP seem to like it, too. Hard to go wrong, unless the small pistol thing just doesn't work out for you.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:15 pm 
Longtime Regular

I have both and prefer the LCP. A friend mine has a LCP and shot my P3AT and prefered my Kel-tec. IMO either gun does the job. You may want to try and shoot both to see which you prefer.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: RUGER LCP VS KEL-TEC P3AT
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:46 am 
Longtime Regular

I bought an LCP the day they announced the recall and called that evening to get it repaired. If I understand this correctly, the Kel Tec is still capable of the accidental discharge that Ruger Recalled their guns for. As for the long trigger pull, this is the safety on this gun, there is little chance of accidently pulling any trigger that far. I have added nightsighters to my LCP and they make a huge difference in being able to see the very small sights on this gun. I also added the CrimsonTrace laser which can be dialed in very accurately.
I have the Nemesis pocket holster and a Desantis belt holster.
I have had no failures with this gun. I have added the Pearce extension to all of my magazines. I didn't care for the Ruger extension.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:25 am 

Plenty of discussion on the elsiepea forum about mags dropping, possible fixes for such, etc. Something else to consider after the recall fix. Whereas the P3AT has been around for a long time, and there are tons of them in circulation and lots of information and parts available in the public. The KT often needs a slight "fluff and buff" out of the box due to less refined manufacturing, but that's not so much of a surprise for a gun that you buy for $260.00 new on sale at times. Even the LCP could probably use a slight fluff and buff to make sure there aren't any left over edges to cause hang-ups and slow slide cycling. Also, additional mags are cheaper for the KT and other parts are easily obtainable from the company. KT is known to ship (sometimes free) parts via U.S. mail to customers who call with orders for repair. Parts you want to buy for spares are very inexpensive too.

In light of the above (especially the mag dropping issue that is yet to be fully resolved), I prefer the P3AT. I've got both and just don't completely trust the LCP yet.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:10 am 

Just a thought in buying ANY .380 right now, ammunition availability. Can you find enough to prove function and reliability?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:46 am 
Longtime Regular

CraigJS wrote:
Just a thought in buying ANY .380 right now, ammunition availability. Can you find enough to prove function and reliability?

That's a very valid point :!:

KT also has the PF-9 which is a very pocketable 9mm. Ammo is somewhat easier to find and 9mm packs a hell of alot more punch than .380. That said I own a P3at and it's been a good gun for me.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 2:16 pm 
Forum Moderator

onebohemian wrote:
Plenty of discussion on the elsiepea forum about mags dropping, possible fixes for such, etc. Something else to consider after the recall fix. Whereas the P3AT has been around for a long time, and there are tons of them in circulation and lots of information and parts available in the public. The KT often needs a slight "fluff and buff" out of the box due to less refined manufacturing, but that's not so much of a surprise for a gun that you buy for $260.00 new on sale at times. Even the LCP could probably use a slight fluff and buff to make sure there aren't any left over edges to cause hang-ups and slow slide cycling. Also, additional mags are cheaper for the KT and other parts are easily obtainable from the company. KT is known to ship (sometimes free) parts via U.S. mail to customers who call with orders for repair. Parts you want to buy for spares are very inexpensive too.

In light of the above (especially the mag dropping issue that is yet to be fully resolved), I prefer the P3AT. I've got both and just don't completely trust the LCP yet.

My P3AT (1st Gen) has been flawless in function since I bought it. It did develop the mag drop problem, which I fixed with a $4.00 catch from Mark K (he has a bunch of spares in stock).

Other than that, it's been perfect.

I'm about to add the Crimson Trace laser and a new pocket holster for it from...

http://pocketholsters.com/Kel-Tec_Pocke ... lster.html

They also sell the laser and holster for the LCP.

I may buy the LCP as well and I still have my P32 Keltec as a backup.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.