Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:03 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ] 
 MN Roch PB: Rochester teen charged with shooting man in face 
 Post subject: MN Roch PB: Rochester teen charged with shooting man in face
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:50 am 

Poor kid, I'm sure that he was just turning his life around... But who names their child after a calculator? :wink:

Rochester teen charged with shooting man in face Sunday
7/28/2009 3:40:02 PM
By Janice Gregorson
Post-Bulletin, Rochester MN

Attempted murder and robbery charges have been filed against a 17-year-old Rochester teen accused of shooting another man in the face late Sunday night.

Authorities allege Casio Devon Gilliam robbed a 20-year-old man of marijuana and was also angry at losing money to the victim while playing dice earlier in the day. Gilliam, of 309 19th Ave. S.W., is charged in Olmsted District Juvenile Court with one count of attempted first-degree murder, one count of attempted second-degree murder and one count of aggravated first-degree robbery.

Senior Assistant Olmsted County Attorney Karen Arthurs has filed a motion to have Gilliam tried in adult court. A hearing on that motion is set for Aug. 25.

Gilliam was in juvenile court Tuesday afternoon for a detention hearing. He is being held at Many Rivers Juvenile Detention Center in Rochester. Defense attorney Janet Krueger told the judge that Gilliam had written a letter asking to be released on electronic home detention.

"He is very upset with the accommodations at Many Rivers,'' Krueger said. "He does not want to be locked up" and has threatened to injure himself.

Williamson denied the motion that he be put on electronic home detention, noting the seriousness of the charges and concerns he would be a danger to himself and others. The detention issue will be reviewed weekly.

Drugs and gambling appear to be motives for the shooting, according to the juvenile court petition.

Police were first called to the Kwik Trip store at 1221 Marion Road S.E. at 11:07 p.m. Sunday on reports of a shooting. The 20-year-old victim ran into the store saying "Casio" had shot him. The petition says he repeated that several times to the clerk, who called 911. The victim told the same thing to investigators when they were able to meet with him briefly at Saint Marys Hospital, where he is in the intensive care unit following surgery. He was shot once in the face and once in the shoulder.

The victim told police that he met Gilliam behind the Kwik Trip to sell marijuana to him. He told police that Gilliam grabbed the marijuana, the victim tried to get it back and Gilliam pulled out a gun and shot him in the face.

The petition also alleges that Gilliam, the victim and another man had been gambling earlier in the day and the victim won, taking all of their money, which upset Gilliam.

Police found Gilliam Monday afternoon at a residence about two blocks from where he lives. Residents there said Gilliam came to their home between 11 p.m. and midnight Sunday asking if he could spend the night because he had been locked out of his house, which is about two blocks away. They let Gilliam stay the night. They said Gilliam told them he had shot a man Sunday night because he owed him money or took money from him. They said Gilliam changed his clothes in their house.

They also said Gilliam told them he buried the gun he used and asked about cleaning gunshot residue off his arms and tried to clean his hands and arms with bleach, the petition says.

Post subject: Re: MN Roch PB: Rochester teen charged with shooting man in face
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:06 am 
Longtime Regular

dismal wrote:
Gilliam was in juvenile court Tuesday afternoon for a detention hearing. He is being held at Many Rivers Juvenile Detention Center in Rochester. Defense attorney Janet Krueger told the judge that Gilliam had written a letter asking to be released on electronic home detention.

"He is very upset with the accommodations at Many Rivers,'' Krueger said. "He does not want to be locked up" and has threatened to injure himself.

Oh, boo-freaking hoo. Detention centers aren't supposed to be some messed up involuntary day-spa. Shoot some one during the commission of a crime, and get locked in a 10X6 cell.

Threatens to "injure" himself? Let him. Lessen the drag on the system that we, the law abiding taxpayers, must compensate for. Let the punk off himself.

Maybe then his mom will think about what a rotten kid she raised.

Sorry, just feeling a little edgey... lack of caffiene and all.

"We're either gonna be the best of friends or there's gonna be a whole lotta shootin' goin' on."

"I think it's a good thing for serving cops to mix with non-cops in a situation where they understand that they aren't in charge." -JoelR

"You'd be amazed at the things a bullet can stop." -Old Irish Proverb

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:23 am 
1911 tainted

Quote:
"He is very upset with the accommodations at Many Rivers,'' Krueger said. "He does not want to be locked up"

And the victim that got shot in the face wasn't upset and didn't want it?
Oh boo hoo, tough turkey gizzards. :x

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:46 am 
Longtime Regular

Oh fuck ME. I was at that Kwik Trip late the night before on my way back from Iowa.

Rochester isn't what it used to be....

-Mark

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:27 pm 
Longtime Regular

Buying marijuana and loosing at dice, I don’t know whether to laugh or ……laugh. If he didn’t want to be locked up maybe he shouldn’t be buying marijuana, shooting dice, and shooting people in the face to begin with. Then his “accommodations” might be a little more to his liking. This sounds like something out of Bad Bad Leroy Brown by Jim Croce. What a LOOSER!!!!!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:24 pm 
Longtime Regular

This is a vulnerable youth who has made some very poor choices in his life. I am sure that his mother could attest to that. A little empathy and accomodation at this point might go a long way to helping this youngster become a valuable contributing individual.

Oops. I forgot to start out with "Once upon a time . . ." :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:12 pm 
Longtime Regular

Traveler wrote:
This is a vulnerable youth who has made some very poor choices in his life. I am sure that his mother could attest to that. A little empathy and accomodation at this point might go a long way to helping this youngster become a valuable contributing individual.

Oops. I forgot to start out with "Once upon a time . . ." :roll:

I'm sure just like the 14 year old throwing a hammer at a cop and the mom being mad at the cop for shooting the kid :roll: :roll: :roll:

Side Guard Holsters
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:09 pm 

mrokern wrote:
Oh fuck ME. I was at that Kwik Trip late the night before on my way back from Iowa.

Rochester isn't what it used to be....

-Mark

Yep, it was the Kwik Trip at Marion Road and Hwy. 14 in SE Roch. I live about a mile to the SW of there, was sitting on the deck having my late night cigar and heard all the sirens...thought it was a fire. The park would be Bear Creek Park, that and the Kwik Trip are located very near a neighborhood that locals often call "little Mogadishu".

There has been a lot of gunfire in Roch this year, but only one murder to date in 2009. Glad they don't know how to shoot.... :lol:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:02 pm 

Looks like the victim is quite lucky, not too many people get shot in the face with a .357 and live to tell about it.

http://www.postbulletin.com/newsmanager ... 82#comment

Area man accused of helping teenager in shooting incident
8/31/2009 9:50:02 AM
By Janice Gregorson
Post-Bulletin, Rochester MN

Charges have been filed against a Spring Valley man accused of aiding a Rochester teenager who allegedly shot another man in the face last month.

Samuel Douglas Miland, 20, was arraigned Friday in Olmsted District Court on a criminal complaint charging him with attempted first- and second-degree murder and first-degree aggravated robbery. Unconditional bail was set at $500,000 and conditional bail at $100,000. He returns to court Sept. 10.

He is accused of supplying the gun allegedly used by Casio Devon Gilliam, 17, to shoot a 20-year-old Rochester man in the face and shoulder in a park in southeast Rochester in a dispute over money. Gilliam has been charged with attempted murder and robbery in juvenile court. There will be a hearing next month on a motion to have him tried as an adult.

Allegations

Police were called about 11 p.m. July 26 to the Kwik Trip at 1221 Marion Road S.E. after a man there said he'd been shot in a nearby park. He identified Gilliam as his assailant.

According to the complaint filed against Miland:

• Gilliam said he shot the victim with a .357-caliber revolver he had gotten from "Milo."

• Gilliam told investigators that after he shot the victim twice, the metal pin that holds the cylinder in the gun fell out while he was running away. He said "Milo" drove him to the park before the shooting, picked him up after the shooting and drove him to his friend's house, where he was arrested. He said Milo drove off with the gun in the trunk of his vehicle.

• Gilliam claimed Milo forced him to shoot the victim, threatening to kill him if he didn't.

• A witness where Gilliam was arrested identified Miland as "Milo."

• Miland denied being involved in the shooting and said he was at the movies with a cousin that night. The cousin told investigators they were not at the movies.

• A Fillmore County narcotics investigator told Rochester police on Aug. 25 that an informant said Miland showed him where the gun was. Rochester investigators recovered a Ruger .357 revolver in a spillway off a pond just south of Spring Valley. Two spent .357-caliber cartridge casings were still in the gun cylinder. The retaining pin was missing from the revolver, officers said.

• The informant told investigators he had been in the Fillmore County jail with Miland and that Miland admitted giving the gun to Gilliam two weeks before the shooting because Gilliam said he needed the gun to force someone who owed him money to pay up.

• The informant told investigators that Miland admitted driving Gilliam to the park and away from the area after the shooting and admitted to dumping the gun from the shooting in the pond.

• Police had the informant call Miland and recorded the call. The informant told Miland he had recovered guns from the pond and wanted to know what to do with them. Miland told him to get rid of the guns and burn the spent casings. When the informant asked Miland if they were the rounds Gilliam used, Miland said yes.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:29 pm 
Longtime Regular

I would still like to know why a parent would name their child after a wrist-watch or hand-held calculator.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:41 pm 
Longtime Regular

Quote:
Gilliam told investigators that after he shot the victim twice, the metal pin that holds the cylinder in the gun fell out while he was running away.

:D

Wonder what kind of gun that was?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:32 am 

He doesn't like his accommodations, well, maybe think of that before you shoot someone in the face with a .357. Idiot. He threatens to hurt himself, great. Give him a cordless drill and a 1/4" bit and tell him to go to town.

I can't believe the person lived being shot in the face with a .357.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:55 pm 

340PD wrote:
He doesn't like his accommodations, well, maybe think of that before you shoot someone in the face with a .357. Idiot. He threatens to hurt himself, great. Give him a cordless drill and a 1/4" bit and tell him to go to town.

I can't believe the person lived being shot in the face with a .357.

The kid seems 'special' enough to not know how to shoot someone in the face. It seems like his kind of thing to do, attempt something and fail miserably at it.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.