Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:36 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 headphone help 
 Post subject: headphone help
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:53 pm 

looking for specs or info on reasonably priced sound attenuation head sets for range use. Only do the range maybe 6 times a year so for sure not looking for $300 headphones but rather something that is a step above ear plugs.

example: is 19 db attenuation enough?

Or maybe someone has a pair they want to sell???? Thanks

Larry

Post subject: Re: headphone help
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:49 pm 
Longtime Regular

You won't find earmuffs that beat plugs in noise reduction. Decent plugs can do 32dB NR. Muffs do 18 to 24db NR.

Remember that decibels are on a logarithmic scale: 31dB NR is 16 times better than 18dB NR.

The advantage of electronic muffs is the ability to converse between shots. At a crowded indoor range with lots of people firing, that's less of an advantage.

You can get decent, but not outstanding, electronic muffs at Northern Tool for $30. I use them when teaching.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:14 pm 
Longtime Regular

I got the Howard Leight Impact Sport model from Cabalas. I think the reduction is around 22. They work o.k. for outdoor shooting (unless there are quite a few shooters). Indoors I double up with plugs, then crank the amplification to the max. I've only had them for a couple months, but they seem to work pretty well. They're about $50.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:31 pm 
Longtime Regular

bensdad wrote:
I got the Howard Leight Impact Sport model from Cabalas. I think the reduction is around 22. They work o.k. for outdoor shooting (unless there are quite a few shooters). Indoors I double up with plugs, then crank the amplification to the max. I've only had them for a couple months, but they seem to work pretty well. They're about $50.

+1. I'm on year two with those exact muffs. I do the same thing...muffs alone for outdoors, muffs plus plugs for indoors.

-Mark

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:28 am 

I'm a ear plug type of guy, with good plugs you shouldn't have problems hearing people.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.