Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:36 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 APX alarm salespeople/scammers 
 Post subject: Re: APX alarm salespeople/scammers
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:35 pm 

We'll they seem to have left our neighborhood....

We did call the police several times, initially they stated since they had a permit all they can really do is ask them to go away, they can't really make them leave public property. We were finally I believe successful removing him from our property. I live amongst an association, after finally getting a hold of the association today, we had them call and clarify with the police that association home owners do have the power to have people removed from association property, the Police yesterday stated that the association would have to call to have them removed, so we had that hoop to jump through. After talking to the association and the police, the associations standpoint is we are not an one site association, therefore we have no issue with having people removed by a homeowners request. Interestingly enough, whoever the association talked to at the police office today, said we shouldn't have had to go through the association either...

Hopefully the "memo" will get around to all the officers so we don't have this disagreement again. In this case it seems being part of an association is actually a good thing. I now know a good way to keep scammers from coming around, keep them off association property. :mrgreen: Though I'll keep buying Girl and Boy Scouts.

I consider it my duty to keep my home and family safe, I also keep an eye open on my neighborhood, that's the way it should be.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:41 pm 
Longtime Regular

Yeah, I'm happy when the Boy Scouts or Girl Scouts stop by. I'll buy from them, whatever they are selling whether I need it or not.

But yeah, the door to door alarm salesmen have stopped by my place, but for Brinks and that was two years ago. My neighbor did get a system from them. She seems happy with it, but I can't imagine it's the smartest method of buying one.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:39 am 

We get the sales folks and the religious nuts, one is trying to sell my up the creek and the other one save me from it.

I find coming to the door with 45 on your hip and 40lbs of bent dog growling seems to curb their interest in talking to me.

If they continue to the door, I just tell them to leave, if they don't my next warning is to notify them they are now trespassing and I'm calling the police. Local LE told us that once you ask them to leave they must or they can be arrested if you're willing to sign the complaint.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:41 pm 

Well, call me the odd guy out but I purchased an APX system last year and have been completely satisfied. I pay my bill every month and they provide monitoring every month - recently I let the kids get in the house before I could deactivate it and the system tripped...within 20 seconds a very friendly person spoke to me over the speakerphone and asked if everything was okay and if I could provide the verbal pass-code.

In another case I was trying to reprogram my passcode and accidentally coded in a medical emergency. Same thing, 20 seconds later a very concerned person voiced up on the speakerphone to ensure that everything was okay.

There are about 5 of us in the neighborhood that have they APX system and to my knowledge we are all pretty happy with the service that we have received so far.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:54 am 
Longtime Regular

Ronin069 wrote:
Well, call me the odd guy out but I purchased an APX system last year and have been completely satisfied. I pay my bill every month and they provide monitoring every month - recently I let the kids get in the house before I could deactivate it and the system tripped...within 20 seconds a very friendly person spoke to me over the speakerphone and asked if everything was okay and if I could provide the verbal pass-code.

Reminds me of the Brinks' alarm ads on TV....There is no way in hell I would stop to answer the phone if someone was in the process of breaking in. I'd be on the phone to 911, and Brinks would have to call back later....

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:15 pm 
Journeyman Member

i hate these door to door folks too, they drive me nuts. I think alarms are the worst because i have no idea who they are, i never contacted them and would not let them into my house. We recently moved to a new house and have had telemarketers for multiple different alarm companies calling trying to sell me a system. i got so fed up with one of them who had talked with my wife and then had the nerve to call the next day saying that he needed to speak to the head of the household instead.
when he asked me "Sir, can you imagine how you would feel if someone broke into your house in the middle of the night, what would you do? You do know the police will take a few minutes to get there and we could save you some time by contacting the police quicker than you can." My words were that our little dog would raise a huge ruckus so i would know someone was coming into my house and that i had the equipment, training and determination to use that equipment to protect my family with whatever force was necessary and that my family members did not have to worry. the sales person shut up, was silent for a few moments and then said that he would take me off their call list.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:23 pm 
Longtime Regular

I split out the education debate to another thread...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:30 am 
Longtime Regular

Buddy of mine answered the door for a door-to-door alarm salesperson once. shut the door and stepped outside. They were discussing things when the salesperson's eyes eventually hit the holstered sidearm. "They don't have that kind of thing in California" or something similar.

Wonder what the salesperson would have thought of buddy's wife monitoring the situation and her available armaments :-)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:32 pm 
Longtime Regular

Interestingly, MPD just today sent out a mass e-mail on door-to-door scams:

Each year I deal with a number of complaints about door to door solicitors. If anyone comes to your door trying to sell you anything, take orders for future delivery or tries to sell you any type of alarm system, make sure they have a Minneapolis Solicitors License. When you open the door, the first words you should be saying are, let me see you Minneapolis Solicitors License. It they don’t have one, send them on their way and call 911. Don't be afraid to call 911. A 911 police call is NOT just for emergencies, it's also any time you want to report illegal or suspicious activity or want a police squad for some other reason. Tell the 911 operator that an unlicensed solicitor is going door to door on your block.

This includes people going around door to door selling magazines.

Once someone signs a contract with an unlicensed solicitor, its very difficult to get them out of it and trying to get a hold of someone from the company is extremely frustrating. Help your neighbor, if they come to your door, take appropriate action.

Remember please:

1. Please pass this information on to your neighbors if they do not receive these emails (copy emails and paste them into a new message rather than forwarding them). Tell your neighbors how to sign up for these alerts – visit http://www.ci.minneapolis.mn.us/police/ ... signup.asp.
2. Please let your block club members know about these events.
3. Be aware of your surroundings. Call 911 on any suspicious activity, persons, or vehicles.
4. Watch for people on the street before exiting your home or vehicle.
5. When you get into your car, lock your doors and do not just sit in the parked vehicle.
6. Do not carry excessive cash, credit cards, or other items. Bring only what you need.
7. Write down the numbers and contact information for all your credit/debit cards so you can call and cancel them immediately if they are taken or lost. Keep this information in a safe location.
8. Get involved with (or start) your neighborhoods Crime & Safety committee

1. If you have information on a crime please call the MPD Tips Line at (612) 692-8477.
2. If you witness a crime, try to look for this information:
1. People: Estimated height, weight, build, age, race, gender, distinguishing features, and clothing.
2. Vehicle: License plate number, make, model, year, and color.
3. People and vehicles: Time they came/left, and what direction they were last seen headed.
4. Also note if a weapon is involved.

For additional crime prevention resources please visit the City of Minneapolis ’s crime prevention website at http://www.ci.minneapolis.mn.us/police/ ... revention/.

Again, please call 911 with suspicious person/activity complaints if you see something out of the ordinary.

"The right of citizens to bear arms is just one more guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard against the tyranny which now appears remote in America, but which historically has proved to be always possible." - Vice President Hubert H. Humphrey, 1960

"Man has the right to deal with his oppressors by devouring their palpitating hearts." - Jean-Paul Marat

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:18 pm 
Journeyman Member

Saunassa wrote:
when he asked me "Sir, can you imagine how you would feel if someone broke into your house in the middle of the night, what would you do? You do know the police will take a few minutes to get there and we could save you some time by contacting the police quicker than you can." My words were that our little dog would raise a huge ruckus so i would know someone was coming into my house and that i had the equipment, training and determination to use that equipment to protect my family with whatever force was necessary and that my family members did not have to worry. the sales person shut up, was silent for a few moments and then said that he would take me off their call list.

Hah! I got a chuckle out of that one when I imagined the sales guy's reaction to your statement. Well put, my friend.

I would also add that my firearms are available instantly and are both cheaper and more entertaining than an alarm system. Do you spend your free time playing with your alarm system? I tried once, it isn't as fun as the range.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.