Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:08 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 High Gun prices 
 Post subject: High Gun prices
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:15 pm 
Longtime Regular

Went into Gander Mountain looking at pistols of all types. I'm no authority on pricing, but man every pistol seemed overpriced there. Am I wrong thinking that?

Post subject: Re: High Gun prices
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:20 pm 
Longtime Regular

JimC wrote:
Went into Gander Mountain looking at pistols of all types. I'm no authority on pricing, but man every pistol seemed overpriced there. Am I wrong thinking that?

Gander bends you over on pricing. You're not wrong.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:41 pm 

They also used to have a price match policy, though I don't shop there anymore I don't know if anything changed. Much better places to buy, pretty much anything, nope change that, there are better places to buy ANYTHING Gander sells.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:33 pm 
In the time out chair

Gander is proud of their high prices and willtell you it's inyour best interest to spend more to get "more", but they are the largest retailer of firearms in the nation. The extras are designed and worded to portray most gun shops as rip off artists.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:38 pm 

Private sales aren't all that much of a deal nowadays, either.

I haven't seen a new GLOCK for less than $500.00 in a long time.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:01 pm 

JimC wrote:

Gander Mountain is the last place I would ever go to buy anything. I know one man can't do much but I hope more will follow so those idiots will price things at its actual MSRP.

P.S. that was the short version of how I feel... :roll:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:49 pm 
Longtime Regular

Hmmm, Guess I'm not as crazy As I thought I might be. :D

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:42 pm 
Longtime Regular

Cabelas ain't much better.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:49 pm 

Gander Mountain is a stocking dealer and they keep a great deal of inventory, and offer a wider selection than many small dealers. They had guns and ammunition during the lunacy that followed last fall's elections.

I shop around every time and have ended up buying guns from a bunch of different places over the years. There's quite a bit of variation in price and the best deals aren't always in the same spot.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:40 am 
Longtime Regular

MostlyHarmless wrote:
Gander Mountain is a stocking dealer and they keep a great deal of inventory, and offer a wider selection than many small dealers. They had guns and ammunition during the lunacy that followed last fall's elections.

Yeah well, for the $40+ bucks they wanted for a 50 rd box of Remington .45acp FMJ, I left it sitting on the counter for some other sucker to buy.

Squeeze trigger, BANG, repeat. Kind of boring, but I never cared for drama.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:02 am 
Longtime Regular

I got a couple of really great deals at the Gander that used to be on 98th and Lyndale (I think). The guns were in the basement. Remember that place? Seems like they've changed quite a bit in the last decade. I don't even bother to check anymore. They have nothing to offer.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:31 am 

I picked up a used S&W 642 with crimson trace last winter at the Gander in Woodbury. Looked at an XD (new) & then went across the street to Sportsmans Warehouse & bought it for at least 10% less. I think Gander's used handgun selection has shrunk and that's about the only area I shop when I'm there. Anyone else have success with used firearms there?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:44 am 
Longtime Regular

kecker wrote:
Cabelas ain't much better.

Cabelas occasionally runs decent sales, though. I managed to get a Glock 19 there earlier this year below Gunstop pricing, when few other dealers had them in stock.

-Mark

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:56 am 

I remeber Berger Brothers at 98th and Lyndale. They had a lot of good stuff in the basement, large selection of grips and other accessories. I really liked that place. Took my first carry class there. It was an NRA class as I recall.

Wixon Jewelers plans (planned?) to move in there and have the largest privately owned jewelry store in the country, but I don't know if that is still happening given the current economic climate.

Gouger Mt aint cheap but sometimes they are less than J&S, sometimes more. As always, gotta shop around....

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:18 am 

I was looking at many of gander's holsters a few years ago. and the manufacture has msrp's on there own packaging. Gander was priced higher than msrp on the holsters i looked at. sad deal that sportsmans closed down. It seemed their prices were a little more realistic on many of the things i purchased anyway

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.