Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:33 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 High Gun prices 
 Post subject: Re: High Gun prices
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:04 am 

IMHO there is no justification for charging higher than MSRP. Well I know that some cars commanded a premium for early adopters. I think the Dodge Viper and the Challenger SRT8 cross my alleged mind in that regard. What the market will bear, I posit.

Still, I think charging > MSRP for a holster is not right. Neither is charging $50 for a box of 50 .357 ammo. I saw that there too.

Regarding holsters-I have read people speaking of their "holster drawer." I didn't think I had a holster drawer until I found that the lowest drawer of my home filing cabinet was stuffed with holsters.

I have multiple holsters for only a couple of guns, and for some guns (the 6" and longer barrels which I don't carry) I have none.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:50 am 

Still go into Gander on a semi-regular basis to get my hands on whatever I've convinced myself I can't possibly live without.

Then, I go home, get on this thing called a puter and order it up. Sweet! Cannot remember when I couldn't find whatever, cheaper, online.

Then I call Mike Coffey at Polar Bear Ordnance and he gets the paper worked squared away. A few days later, it's Christmas!! (and who deserves it more than me :lol: )

To expect bad men not to do wrong is madness, for he who expects this desires an impossiblity. But to allow men to behave so to others and expect them not to do thee any wrong is irrational and tyranical. Marcus Aurelius

I won't mind if you call me a racist. And I'm sure YOU won't mind if I call you a target of opportunity.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:56 am 

boomingmetropolis wrote:
Still go into Gander on a semi-regular basis to get my hands on whatever I've convinced myself I can't possibly live without.

Then, I go home, get on this thing called a puter and order it up. Sweet! Cannot remember when I couldn't find whatever, cheaper, online.

Then I call Mike Coffey at Polar Bear Ordnance and he gets the paper worked squared away. A few days later, it's Christmas!! (and who deserves it more than me :lol: )

Great minds think alike -- I tend to order online and have Mike handle the xfer -- pondering my next purchase now actually ;)
b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:56 am 
Longtime Regular

I don't do gun shows, but I'd think holsters would be cheaper at a show? Especially used ones??

Rodentman wrote:
IMHO there is no justification for charging higher than MSRP. Well I know that some cars commanded a premium for early adopters. I think the Dodge Viper and the Challenger SRT8 cross my alleged mind in that regard. What the market will bear, I posit.

Still, I think charging > MSRP for a holster is not right. Neither is charging $50 for a box of 50 .357 ammo. I saw that there too.

Regarding holsters-I have read people speaking of their "holster drawer." I didn't think I had a holster drawer until I found that the lowest drawer of my home filing cabinet was stuffed with holsters.

I have multiple holsters for only a couple of guns, and for some guns (the 6" and longer barrels which I don't carry) I have none.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:09 am 
Longtime Regular

Not all that long ago I bought my XD at Gander for $389. Got my Ruger .300WM rifle for $400 and my son's Savage .270 for $350. All of them new.

I guess now they have to pay for all those fancy new big boxes they saturated the city with. How much fleece clothing do they think one family can buy?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:33 pm 
Longtime Regular

Gander is good for one thing only. Handling a gun that you can't locate anywhere else. On extreme rare occasion they will have a good deal. The one gun I've ever bought there was a Ruger 10/22 that was cheaper than anywhere else for that particular model of 10/22.

Otherwise, I just handle their guns and then go buy it somewhere else. I'd rather put the (minimal) wear and tear of my inspecting on their stuff, than another shop's. Other shops actually hold my respect (because they respect the consumer). Gander's regular pricing is typically a slap in the face. Do yourself a favor and shop around.

Recently, a Marlin 1894 was $799 at Gander and I paid Frontiersman $680 for it. A guy can burn a lot of gas driving across town before its worth it to buy from Gander.

They had ammo during the craze because that was over-priced too. They are in the business of making money first and foremost. Fair deals come second.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:56 am 

There is always the Frontiersman and Gunstop. I miss sportsmans warehouse too.
Jack

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.