Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:53 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
 Range Report - DPMS LR-308 
 Post subject: Range Report - DPMS LR-308
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:22 pm 
Longtime Regular

Well, all I can say is.............SWEET! 8) :twisted:

Once I get enough rounds through her, she's gonna be a nice little 'tack driver'! 8) :twisted:

Had one failure to feed. 18th round of the first magazine. :? Other than that, no malfunctions what-so-ever.

Zeroing the rifle/scope:
I shot four groups of 3 rounds each. After every third round, I walked down to the target and outlined and numbered each group with my pen. Then went back to my 'baby' and made the necessary adjustments. Bein's as I've never sighted in a scope before, I made the adjustments 'half' of what I should've. In other words, instead of moving the elevation 6 'clicks' (after the first group), I moved it 3.

Getting used to the new rifle and scope, I didn't want to over compensate and then 'get lost' somehow during the process. :roll:

Without further yappin', here's the results of today's trip to the range. Groups are circled and numbered.

My 'baby' resting quietly on the picnic table at home, waiting to be scrubbed clean. :lol:

The next pic is of the round that failed to feed. By the looks of it, it got jammed up against the feed ramp while entering the chamber. Since the rifle is brand new and has yet to be 'broke in' (DPMS recommends 200 rounds for 'break-in'), I'm not too worried about it, since this was the one and only malfunction.

All said and done, I fired 39 rounds through her today. The first mag was the Winchester 'Silver Tip' 150 gr. (what I fired for zero). Second mag was the Winchester 7.62 x 51 NATO rounds (147 gr.), I picked up yesterday.

Notes on today's shoot:
I was more nervous than a long tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs and that in itself affected my shooting.

Recoil was noticeable, buy less than I expected.

Dang thing spits expended brass a long ways!

Of course, I'm sure that I'll have to re-zero the scope as I put more rounds through her and she gets broke in.

The really messed up part of today? I never even fired my 1911A1. :shock: :?

Squeeze trigger, BANG, repeat. Kind of boring, but I never cared for drama.

Post subject: Re: Range Report - DPMS LR-308
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:27 pm 
1911 tainted

Good to hear, I have been looking at trading one of my AR-15's in on one of these. They are really a nice rifle, and in 308, I really want one.

There was one person in John Farnam's Urban Rifle class that I attended that was shooting one of these, but he had several problems including several failure to feed. I truly think that some issues may have been due to operator issues, but one apparent unavoidable problem was firing from a non-shouldered position. Talking to the owner/student, he said that he has fired well over a 1000 rounds through this rifle before class with zero problems, so he was a bit confused himself about these problems. John Farnam has sent out some info on this and the Minnesota class in his e-mail blast, that the rifle appeared to have issues if it wasn't securely anchored or in a shoulder when fired.

I got the chance to fire this rifle and was expecting more recoil than I got, that was a really nice surprise and again makes me want one even more. With the drills we went through, I was also impressed with the rifle's accuracy, in many cases it was better than the AR-15 shooters, but yes I know it is the Indian and not the arrow.

I still plan to get one in the future and think the problems that I saw in John's class were more of a combination of unintended induced problems.

Off topic, but as I type this, there are truck hauling in dirt for my new berm on my home range. With these 18 loads and a neighbors backhoe/front end loader, I will be able to have a 250 to 300 yard range. Hunter07, maybe when the berm is done and we have a new bench mounted, we can check your rifle out at a little longer range. :D

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:52 pm 
Longtime Regular

Cobb, if you still have my number, gimme a call some day. I'd be glad to let you get hooked...........er........let you shoot some rounds from mine :D , before you run out and buy your own. :twisted:

I wish that I could've gotten her dialed in a bit tighter, but the wind started blowing a bit harder than I liked for zeroing. But again, like I said, I'm sure that I'll have to make a few more adjustments to the scope once I get a chance to put more rounds through her.

Between now and Christmas, I should be around most weekends.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:35 am 
Longtime Regular

Hunter07,
Why is the scope mounted so far off the bore axis?
Is the bell to big to fit when mounted mounted right on the receiver rail?
No criticism here, just wondering.

BTW nice rifle!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:12 pm 
Longtime Regular

Dee wrote:
Hunter07,
Why is the scope mounted so far off the bore axis?
Is the bell to big to fit when mounted mounted right on the receiver rail?
No criticism here, just wondering.

BTW nice rifle!

I have a 'riser' between the scope and the rifle upper. I opted for the riser instead of taller scope mounts. For the flat top AR types, you need either a riser or tall scope mounts. The center of the scope is pretty close to the height of a AR with the carrying handle & rear sight assembly.

Dave over at Hunters Den in New Ulm, explained it all to me the day that I was choosing the scope, but of course, I can't remember it all. :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:50 pm 
Longtime Regular

Thanks, that helps.
I forgot that the sights are normally on the carrying handle.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:32 am 

She sure is pretty.....keep us up to date on how she feeds. I've been looking @ the DMPS in .308 myself, trying to justify to the Mrs that it's worth every penny.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:38 am 

Hi guys,

Good to hear it has been mostly good results for you as well. I have the LR-SASS and have been in love with it since trigger pull #1. It even shoots great groups with 'cheap' 150gr Federal power-shock ammo. The only problem with mine is it jammed when fired with the dust cover closed in cold weather while hunting...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:55 pm 

Congrats on the rifle! They are very nice and should turn out to be a very accurate rifle for you. A couple things though...
Quote:
For the flat top AR types, you need either a riser or tall scope mounts.

Unless you have a hard time getting a solid cheek weld and actually need the scope to be mounted that high, you might want to look at a mount/rings combo from Armalite: http://www.armalite.com/ItemForm.aspx?item=EX0027&ReturnUrl=Categories.aspx?Category=a14c8168-f1cf-4f11-8859-bafe17a66e1e.

The only reason I can think of that someone might tell you that you needed a riser or taller scope mounts is to make a bigger sale.

From your picture there is plenty of room to bring that scope closer to the receiver. The closer the better - as close as you can get it without the bell of the scope touching the barrel.

Try some 168gr Federal Gold Medal Match or Black Hills 168gr match ammo and see what happens with your groups.

MADFI Certified Instructor (#60)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:18 pm 

mpthole wrote:
Congrats on the rifle! They are very nice and should turn out to be a very accurate rifle for you. A couple things though...
Quote:
For the flat top AR types, you need either a riser or tall scope mounts.

Unless you have a hard time getting a solid cheek weld and actually need the scope to be mounted that high, you might want to look at a mount/rings combo from Armalite: http://www.armalite.com/ItemForm.aspx?item=EX0027&ReturnUrl=Categories.aspx?Category=a14c8168-f1cf-4f11-8859-bafe17a66e1e.

The only reason I can think of that someone might tell you that you needed a riser or taller scope mounts is to make a bigger sale.

From your picture there is plenty of room to bring that scope closer to the receiver. The closer the better - as close as you can get it without the bell of the scope touching the barrel.

Try some 168gr Federal Gold Medal Match or Black Hills 168gr match ammo and see what happens with your groups.

i think you're correct I have a similar setup only with the tight fitting DPMS 4 rail I could almost get the scope mounted with regular mounts but with a 50mm bell there is some interference. I'm thinking of milling off a bit of the top rail I think I can get the scope on without a spacer.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.