Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:11 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Armed rent-a-cops at Regal Cinema in Brooklyn Park? 
 Post subject: Armed rent-a-cops at Regal Cinema in Brooklyn Park?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:26 pm 

Went to See Inglorious Basterds tonight...NICE! Anyway, coming out of the flick I noticed that at least one of the rent-a-cops they hire for security was armed with what looked like a .45, have to say I have not seen that before.

Post subject: Re: Armed rent-a-cops at Regal Cinema in Brooklyn Park?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:28 pm 

Ronin069 wrote:
Went to See Inglorious Basterds tonight...NICE! Anyway, coming out of the flick I noticed that at least one of the rent-a-cops they hire for security was armed with what looked like a .45, have to say I have not seen that before.

One of the Oakdale theaters has armed security as well - looked like a XD or something last time I was up there.

b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:56 pm 
Longtime Regular

I visited Aldi in N. Minneapolis today and noticed their rent-a-cop was armed, also, with a .45, maybe a Ruger. Previously, the Aldi security was unarmed. I never could figure that out as they are an all cash business with thousands of dollars in the till. They must have been hit several times to make the upgrade to armed guards.

That being said, the guard was fairly useless as he ignored the enterence and was only paying vague attention to the people in line. Someone could have taken him down, grabbed his gun and killed everyone in the place without breaking a sweat for all the good this guy was.

Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Chris

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:10 am 

Wow, haven't been to a movie in quite some time. I used to go every week. I have never seen armed security at any of the theaters I've been to in the past but, like I said, it's been a while now.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:21 am 
The Man

A cop friend of mine has remarked, from time to time, how absurd he finds the whole notion of unarmed security guards. More and more, I think he's right -- and having, some decades ago, been an unarmed security guard, that's a bit of a bitter pill to swallow.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:33 am 

Moby Clarke wrote:
That being said, the guard was fairly useless as he ignored the enterence and was only paying vague attention to the people in line. Someone could have taken him down, grabbed his gun and killed everyone in the place without breaking a sweat for all the good this guy was.

Yeah, I saw the same thing with the movie theater guy. Taking more time to recall the sight I can make the following observations:

1) He wore it on his right hip, too far forward in my opinion.
2) His awareness was ZERO. I actually stopped in my tracks and stared for a moment - neither he, nor the 3 goofballs around him had any clue that I was standing about 3 feet behind him -
3) Not sure if you ever get to that theater, but I am confident that I was not the only customer carrying concealed last night; I am confident however that I was one of the few customers carrying LEGAL last night!
4) Who were they going to talk to on their fancy walkie-talkie's? Each other? Please...

Finally, while I applaud the theater for recognizing that there is need for an armed presence in that particular venue, I am disappointing in their selection. 4 out-of-shape late teen/early twenty-something kids in black uniforms that don't fit and wearing empty cop belts do not intimidate or send a message that "we got this". The dope with a gun only caused to make their presence known. However, 2 large gentlemen in jeans, a black t-shirt that says security across the front/back, standing near the entrance and candy stand would send the message..."don't even think about being silly in here"

Dopey management

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:57 am 
Longtime Regular

Ronin069 wrote:
Moby Clarke wrote:

However, 2 large gentlemen in jeans, a black t-shirt that says security across the front/back, standing near the entrance and candy stand would send the message..."don't even think about being silly in here"

Add an evil black handgun in an evil black holster quietly sitting behind the midpoint of the waist, and I agree wholeheartedly.

-Mark

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:26 am 
Longtime Regular

Are you sure the rent a cops had bullets???

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:55 am 
Longtime Regular

JimC wrote:
Are you sure the rent a cops had bullets???

One each, in a shirt pocket, perhaps. :)

I worked unarmed security when I was young and stupid. I am beginning to realize just how stupid.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:51 pm 
Forum Moderator/<br>AV Geek

I worked security, there were three basic types of clients:

1. Requested no firearms
2. Requested firearms (billed at a higher rate)
3. Not specified

#3 means they aren't paying more for armed, so it was basically left up to the guard if he wanted to carry. It was really a don't ask, don't tell. I think everyone carried (who could) unless specifically told not to.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:24 pm 

Pakrat wrote:
#3 means they aren't paying more for armed, so it was basically left up to the guard if he wanted to carry. It was really a don't ask, don't tell. I think everyone carried (who could) unless specifically told not to.

It would not surprise me if this was the case, the pistol looked kinda-sorta fancy...definitely not your standard issue Glock-type weapon...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:40 am 
Site Admin

joelr wrote:
A cop friend of mine has remarked, from time to time, how absurd he finds the whole notion of unarmed security guards. More and more, I think he's right -- and having, some decades ago, been an unarmed security guard, that's a bit of a bitter pill to swallow.

Wouldn't that depend on the type of place and sort of security necessary?

Security from armed robbery and security from children misbehaving aren't the same thing.

Also, in some situations, I can see that armed security guards might have bad side effects (e.g. in a bar, where de-escalation is by far the preferred solution).

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:44 pm 

Notice my feet -
You’re going to pull up left hip forward, placing your right hand on your away hip thusly, giving the illusion that you have a gun.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:42 am 

rthib wrote:
Notice my feet -
You’re going to pull up left hip forward, placing your right hand on your away hip thusly, giving the illusion that you have a gun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHK4G6KoayI

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:49 am 
Longtime Regular

Ronin069 wrote:
Pakrat wrote:

It would not surprise me if this was the case, the pistol looked kinda-sorta fancy...definitely not your standard issue Glock-type weapon...

Which is funny, because my Glock is exactly what I'd choose for that type of work. My fancy and "match" stuff can stay at home, I'll take high-cap, reliable to a fault, inexpensive, and durable for occupational banging around.

-Mark

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.