Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:12 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Is this really true? Gun racks now legal in MN? 
 Post subject: Is this really true? Gun racks now legal in MN?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:11 pm 

Just heard from someone that gunracks are now legal in MN. I can harldy believe that, I tried looking through the gun laws but all i could come up with is the sept. 1999 manual, and the 2003 carry laws. Has anyone else heard this? From what i could understand you can have a gun(s) in your gun rack uncased and unloaded in your back window, but that is just a rumor that someone heard from somone else so what I heard is 4th or 5th hand and thats why i am having a hard time believing that.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Is this really true? Gun racks now legal in MN?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:19 pm 
Forum Moderator/<br>AV Geek

I think that was the BILL they dangled in front of us, yanked it and then made it harder to transport firearms in the 7 county metro.

If I recall correctly.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:36 pm 
Longtime Regular

The current version of the law does not seem to be on-line yet. When it is, it should be here. Currently the 2008 version is still up.

The 2009 MN Hunting regulations read as follows:
Quote:
A person may not transport a firearm, including a handgun, in or on a motor vehicle unless the firearm is:
• unloaded* and cased;
• unloaded* and in the closed trunk of a motor vehicle; or
• carried under a valid permit to carry a pistol or handgun.

Under the following circumstances, a person may transport unloaded, uncased firearms (excluding pistols) in a motor vehicle, including ATVs:
• while at a shooting range with permission
• while lawfully hunting on private or public land or while traveling to or from a site the person intends to hunt or has lawfully hunted that day.

Firearms must be transported unloaded and cased:
• within Anoka, Hennepin, or Ramsey counties.
• within an area where firearms discharge has been prohibited.
• within the boundaries of a home rule, charter, or statutory city with a population of 2,500 or more.
• on school grounds
• as otherwise restricted in game refuges, shining or night vision laws.

* An “unloaded” firearm is defined as a firearm without ammunition in the barrels and magazine, if the magazine is in the firearm. A muzzle-loading firearm with a flintlock ignition is unloaded if it does not have priming powder in a pan. A muzzle-loading firearm with percussion ignition is unloaded
if it does not have a percussion cap on a nipple.

So, I guess you could put your uncased gun in a window rack in the back of your pickup truck, but there are numerous reasons you wouldn't want to do that unless you were just a lazy sporting clays shooter driving from shooting station to shooting station.

If you want further clarification or advice, I suggest you contact one of these guys: Rep.David.Dill@house.mn, Rep.Tony.Cornish@house.mn, Rep.Marty.Seifert@house.mn.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:55 pm 
Longtime Regular

Here is the new statute:
Quote:
97B.045 TRANSPORTATION OF FIREARMS.
Subdivision 1.Restrictions.

A person may not transport a firearm in a motor vehicle unless the firearm is:

(1) unloaded and in a gun case expressly made to contain a firearm, and the case fully encloses the firearm by being zipped, snapped, buckled, tied, or otherwise fastened, and without any portion of the firearm exposed;

(2) unloaded and in the closed trunk of a motor vehicle; or

(3) a handgun carried in compliance with sections 624.714 and 624.715.

Subd. 2.Exception for disabled persons.

The restrictions in subdivision 1 do not apply to a disabled person if:

(1) the person possesses a permit under section 97B.055, subdivision 3; and

(2) the firearm is not loaded in the chamber until the vehicle is stationary, or is a hinge action firearm with the action open until the vehicle is stationary.

Subd. 3.Exceptions; hunting and shooting ranges.

(a) Notwithstanding provisions to the contrary under this chapter, a person may transport an unloaded, uncased firearm, excluding a pistol as defined in paragraph (b), in a motor vehicle while at a shooting range, as defined under section 87A.01, subdivision 3, where the person has received permission from the lawful owner or possessor to discharge firearms; lawfully hunting on private or public land; or travelling to or from a site the person intends to hunt lawfully that day or has hunted lawfully that day, unless:

(1) within Anoka, Hennepin, or Ramsey County;

(2) within an area where the discharge of a firearm has been prohibited under section 471.633;

(3) within the boundaries of a home rule charter or statutory city with a population of 2,500 or more;

(4) on school grounds; or

(5) otherwise restricted under section 97A.091, 97B.081, or 97B.086.

(b) For the purposes of this section, a "pistol" includes a weapon designed to be fired by the use of a single hand and with an overall length less than 26 inches, or having a barrel or barrels of a length less than 18 inches in the case of a shotgun or having a barrel of a length less than 16 inches in the case of a rifle:

(1) from which may be fired or ejected one or more solid projectiles by means of a cartridge or shell or by the action of an explosive or the igniting of flammable or explosive substances; or

(2) for which the propelling force is a spring, elastic band, carbon dioxide, air or other gas, or vapor.

Pistol does not include a device firing or ejecting a shot measuring .18 of an inch, or less, in diameter and commonly known as a "BB gun," a scuba gun, a stud gun or nail gun used in the construction industry, or children's pop guns or toys.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:15 pm 
Longtime Regular

DeanC wrote:
The current version of the law does not seem to be on-line yet. When it is, it should be here. Currently the 2008 version is still up.

The 2009 MN Hunting regulations read as follows:
Quote:
A person may not transport a firearm, including a handgun, in or on a motor vehicle unless the firearm is:
• unloaded* and cased;
• unloaded* and in the closed trunk of a motor vehicle; or
• carried under a valid permit to carry a pistol or handgun.

Under the following circumstances, a person may transport unloaded, uncased firearms (excluding pistols) in a motor vehicle, including ATVs:
• while at a shooting range with permission
• while lawfully hunting on private or public land or while traveling to or from a site the person intends to hunt or has lawfully hunted that day.

Firearms must be transported unloaded and cased:
• within Anoka, Hennepin, or Ramsey counties.
• within an area where firearms discharge has been prohibited.
• within the boundaries of a home rule, charter, or statutory city with a population of 2,500 or more.
• on school grounds
• as otherwise restricted in game refuges, shining or night vision laws.

* An “unloaded” firearm is defined as a firearm without ammunition in the barrels and magazine, if the magazine is in the firearm. A muzzle-loading firearm with a flintlock ignition is unloaded if it does not have priming powder in a pan. A muzzle-loading firearm with percussion ignition is unloaded
if it does not have a percussion cap on a nipple.

So, I guess you could put your uncased gun in a window rack in the back of your pickup truck, but there are numerous reasons you wouldn't want to do that unless you were just a lazy sporting clays shooter driving from shooting station to shooting station.

If you want further clarification or advice, I suggest you contact one of these guys: Rep.David.Dill@house.mn, Rep.Tony.Cornish@house.mn, Rep.Marty.Seifert@house.mn.

You could also ask the NRA. I'm sure our local rep would be happy to explain just how this law screws....I mean helps...HELPS us. (cough cough gag gag)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:20 am 

DeanC wrote:
* An “unloaded” firearm is defined as a firearm without ammunition in the barrels and magazine, if the magazine is in the firearm.

Glad I read that again, I thought for a second that loaded magazines were considered loaded guns...

If I keep loaded mags in my gun case but out of my rifle am I legal?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:30 am 
The Man

72_chev_truck wrote:
DeanC wrote:
* An “unloaded” firearm is defined as a firearm without ammunition in the barrels and magazine, if the magazine is in the firearm.

Glad I read that again, I thought for a second that loaded magazines were considered loaded guns...

Sure. As long as you never, ever venture over any of the invisible lines that will turn you into a criminal by having your unloaded long gun in your gun rack.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:00 am 

joelr wrote:
72_chev_truck wrote:
DeanC wrote:

Sure. As long as you never, ever venture over any of the invisible lines that will turn you into a criminal by having your unloaded long gun in your gun rack.

Let me rephrase that,

Having my loaded magazines inside the gun case with my rifle inside my gun case.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:27 am 
Longtime Regular

Maybe this law will create more permit holders??

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:36 pm 

JimC wrote:
Maybe this law will create more permit holders??

"Hunters - get your permit today, to make it easier to comply with the new, confusing hunting regulations!

SPECIAL BONUS - you can carry a pistol when not hunting!"

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:56 pm 
Longtime Regular

Your carry permit does nothing for you while transporting long guns other than take up space in your wallet.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:12 pm 
The Man

DeanC wrote:
Your carry permit does nothing for you while transporting long guns other than take up space in your wallet.

Yup. It should be otherwise -- the simple alternative to Chris Rager's bizarre "uncased and unloaded" bill would have been to put an exception in all the state carrying/transportation laws for people with carry permits, and maybe add, "and we really mean it!" -- but it isn't.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:54 pm 

DeanC wrote:

True, I sometimes forget about the DNR's thinking that they are the absolute. *sigh*

Just because someone is in possession of a firearm, doesn't mean they're going hunting or poaching. (I've never done either. All I've ever shot were tree branches, pop cans, water jugs, paper and expired fruit and vegetables - the last work great as a demonstration of hollow points, and caliber considerations)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:29 pm 
Longtime Regular

I posted a Strib article here:

http://www.twincitiescarry.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=14188

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:49 pm 
Longtime Regular

Now wait- others said with a permit you can carry a long gun.

DeanC wrote:

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.