Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:42 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Taurus PT111/140 vs. Springfield Sub Compact 9mm/.40cal 
 Post subject: Taurus PT111/140 vs. Springfield Sub Compact 9mm/.40cal
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:02 pm 

Anyone have any experience with either?

The tag on the Springfield is about $500, and the Taurus is about $369.

What I like about the Springfield:
Comes with extra goodies ( (9mm) 13+1 and a 16+1 high cap mag with grip extender, mag holster, gun holster),
Has a light rail
Seems to have more aftermarket accessories
Looks very nice

What I dont like:
Price
No safety

What I like about the Taurus:
I have had good luck with my PT1911
Has safety
good price

Cons:
no light rail (probably wouldnt use one anyway)
Does not hold as much, no option for longer grip

What does everyone think of these two guns?
Which one would you buy. Keep in mind I'm a college kid on a budget which makes the Taurus more appealing.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Taurus PT111/140 vs. Springfield Sub Compact 9mm/.40cal
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:57 pm 
Longtime Regular

Cry once. (And get an M&P, Glock or CZ Rami. <--- any of the three I would do)

You'll get what you pay for in most cases.

If you're looking for a compact budget banger, look at a KelTec P-11. It can be had for under $320 if you shop around. It's not a terrific target gun at all, or even fun to shoot with KT's infamously shitty trigger. However, it goes bang when you need it to. Carry alot, shoot very little is what KelTec specializes in.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:49 am 

i have bought 3 pt-140s. i carried one for about 2-3 years. let my wife shoot it once and she isnow carrying it. when our daughters got their carry permits, they shot some pistols and both wanted the same gun as mom. our family likes them.
don't give in to the talk of taurus being an inferior pistol. the history of problems with the m&p is much longer than the pt series. we have not had a single problem with any of the pt s we shot. test shoot all the pistols you can and then buy.
if you have a specific question about the pt-140, i'll be glad to try and give you an answer.

polish by heritage; american by birth; patriot by conviction; saved by grace through faith in Christ!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:32 am 
Journeyman Member

I have 3 taurus autos and 1 revolver, all work flawlessly.

John

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:01 am 
Longtime Regular

The Springfield's advantages seem to be things that are largely irrelevant or disadvantageous for carry.

I find the PT111 easy to pocket carry, and do so regularly. I recommend it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:06 am 

Ok....I'll chime in about the Springfield XD40 sub. I carry a 3" daily, and have over 2500 rounds through it w/o any issues at all. The ammo is going to be a bit more than the 9mm, but I personally wouldn't trade my .40 for anything. And it does have the built-in backstrap safety (which does work btw). To be fair, I haven't shot the Taurus, so I can't say one way or the other about it. Now the Taurus Judge....that's a fun one :D

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:42 am 
Longtime Regular

Everything good I'd like to say about the Taurus has been said. I will point you here - as I did for someone looking at the PT1911.

www.taurusarmed.net

There is a Millenium Series sub-forum. Lots of info there.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:02 am 

zimme71 wrote:
Ok....I'll chime in about the Springfield XD40 sub. I carry a 3" daily, and have over 2500 rounds through it w/o any issues at all. The ammo is going to be a bit more than the 9mm, but I personally wouldn't trade my .40 for anything. And it does have the built-in backstrap safety (which does work btw). To be fair, I haven't shot the Taurus, so I can't say one way or the other about it. Now the Taurus Judge....that's a fun one :D

Pretty much sums up my thoughts too (even the part about the Judge....those are great guns!), although I haven't quite put 2500 rounds through my XD yet.

The combination of the grip safety and the USA trigger system on the XD's is very effective. Plus the other neat features make it attractive (super-easy to disassemble, loaded chamber indicator, striker indicator, ergonomic, uber-reliable). The newer models (the XD-M's) are pretty slick...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:21 am 

While I can't speak about the PT111 specifically, I will say that I own a Taurus PT92 FS 9mm which I've had for a long time and have many, many thousands of rounds through. I shoot extremely well with it and have had no problems with it. More recently, i also own a Taurus PT-145 .45ACP. I originally bought it as a carry gun but ended up deciding to carry a 340PD S&W .357 instead. The PT-145 has been a good gun save the one issue i had with it. There was an issue with early models cracking/chipping the polymer frame area at the top of the backstrap. I was told the issue was resolved when I bought it but it was not. I had the problem happen to mine. I took it to Sportsmen's Warehouse where I purchased it. I explained the situation to them and they took the gun and gave me a receipt. They sent the gun in for repair. A couple of weeks later I got a call that the gun was back from repair. I went over and picked it up. I never paid a cent for shipping or the repair. It has been fine every since. I know some have issues with Taurus but even having the one issue, I would purchase from them again in a heart beat. Given their prices and lifetime warranty I think they are a good buy.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:44 am 

sheepdog wrote:
zimme71 wrote:

Pretty much sums up my thoughts too (even the part about the Judge....those are great guns!), although I haven't quite put 2500 rounds through my XD yet.

The combination of the grip safety and the USA trigger system on the XD's is very effective. Plus the other neat features make it attractive (super-easy to disassemble, loaded chamber indicator, striker indicator, ergonomic, uber-reliable). The newer models (the XD-M's) are pretty slick...

I would second what they said and add that the XD9 Sub Compt. has been my daily carry for over a year now and I have not found one thing I don't like yet. I easily have over 2,000 rounds though it and it is just as reliable as the day I bought it (At least when I am using factory ammo :oops: ). Also one of the reasons I chose the XD was for the double safety.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:52 pm 
Longtime Regular

I have a PT111, a PT140 and a PT745. All have been o.k. The 140 has some slide/rail "shaving" going on, but it goes bang every time. The triggers suck. Reset is pretty short, but the pull is too heavy. Folks also seem to either love or hate the Heine [sic?] sites. I shoot fine with them.

The 140 and the 745 are my carry guns. I use the 111 for IPSC.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:32 pm 
Longtime Regular

bensdad wrote:
I have a PT111, a PT140 and a PT745. All have been o.k. The 140 has some slide/rail "shaving" going on, but it goes bang every time. The triggers suck. Reset is pretty short, but the pull is too heavy. Folks also seem to either love or hate the Heine [sic?] sites. I shoot fine with them.

Wow, you think the trigger pull is too heavy? I guess I disagree. Do you have the SA/DA trigger, or the DAO style?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:39 pm 

I had a PT111. It broke on me at the range. I was shooting and the firing pin came out the rear of the slide. I wasn't too impressed. Sent it into taurus, they replaced the pin and the spring., and now it would only fire about 70% of the time. Sent it to taurus, they said the spring in the trigger mechanism must've gotten damaged when the firing pin broke. I get it back, and now it fires about 60% of the time. Sent it to Taurus, they fixed it. It fired 100% of the time.

I sold the Taurus and will never own another Taurus automatic.

Having said that, I have a springfield sub compact 40cal I now carry. Love it.

My Homebrew journal http://brew.goalie.cx

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:15 pm 
Longtime Regular

tman065 wrote:
bensdad wrote:

Wow, you think the trigger pull is too heavy? I guess I disagree. Do you have the SA/DA trigger, or the DAO style?

Gen 3. SA/DA. I guess I think it's heavy. It's heavier than my 1911, DaewooDP51 (Now there's a POS), or even my wife's Bersa. Maybe I'm being too picky. I haven't put it on a scale. Nor have I shot it head-to-head with other, similar designs.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:28 pm 
Longtime Regular

bensdad wrote:
Gen 3. SA/DA. I guess I think it's heavy. It's heavier than my 1911, DaewooDP51 (Now there's a POS), or even my wife's Bersa. Maybe I'm being too picky. I haven't put it on a scale. Nor have I shot it head-to-head with other, similar designs.

It's gonna be heavier than a true SA, like the 1911 and Bersa. For a striker-fired pistol, I think the Gen 3's break is relatively crisp. I think it's at about 6 lbs or so.

I DO like it better than my issued Glock and my first Millenium (DA only).

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.