Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:40 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Is This Real? 
 Post subject: Is This Real?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:37 am 
Longtime Regular

I probably missed the discussion on this.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/guns/blairholt.asp

Post subject: Re: Is This Real?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:47 am 
Raving Moderate

Well, yes- but no, it's not a particular threat. From the page linked above:

snopes.com wrote:
So, how likely is the Blair Holt bill's chance for passage? Pro-gun activists are vigilant but don't seem overly worried about it. They point out that the bill's failure to attract co-sponsors is an indication of a lack of enthusiasm for it among other congressmen. They feel it is too far-reaching and repressive of gun owners' rights to merit serious consideration by a majority of Congress.

Lawrence Keane of the NSSF [National Shooting Sports Foundation] states, "If this bill passes, Democrats would likely lose (control of) their chamber in upcoming mid-term elections (2010). The leadership in the House knows that." Keane says some 80 million-plus U.S. citizens own firearms, representing nearly half the households in the nation. He believes that House Democrats will allow the Blair Holt bill to die in subcommittee rather than risk the ire of so many pro-gun voters.

It's been in subcommittee, with no co-sponsors, since Feb. It's a dead letter.

My real name is Jeremiah (go figure). ;)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:22 am 
Longtime Regular

So do we have to worry about the period of time after the elections in 2010, when they feel that they are safe for another four years?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:22 am 
Longtime Regular

Dee wrote:
So do we have to worry about the period of time after the elections in 2010, when they feel that they are safe for another four years?

We always have to worry.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:47 am 
Raving Moderate

sigman wrote:
Dee wrote:

We always have to worry.

Yup. The difference is between being concerned, which is a given, and fearful, which is not appropriate for this situation. :wink:

My real name is Jeremiah (go figure). ;)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:51 pm 
Longtime Regular

As long as we're vigilant and the other side knows we are, there isn't much to be worried about. Besides, unless the GOP really screws up between now and 2010, they're likely to make big gains in the House and probably a few in the Senate. Then in 2012 and 2014 a vast majority of the Senate seats up for election are currently Democrat, so it's likely that the GOP will control the Senate in a couple years.

So the future is bright as long as we keep on our toes and fight the battles that need fighting, and keep an eye on the battles that don't need to be.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.