Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 9:26 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ] 
 Any local gunsmiths to put sights on my XD 
 Post subject: Any local gunsmiths to put sights on my XD
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 9:47 am 
Journeyman Member

In the Minneapolis area?

The thing is, I DON'T want to send it away for a week or more. I can't even bring myself to consider sending her away.

Money is not the problem. Taking a week or more to put sights on is DEFINITELY a problem.

I haven't bought the sights yet, but I will if someone can get 'em done in a couple hours or so.

Someone who has done XD sights before, and knows that the originals don't come out too easy.

Anyone?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 11:22 am 
Longtime Regular

Check with Ryan at Bill's North.

I have talked to him before and he says that he can do them. I am not sure how long it will take but it sounded like either a day or two, or while you wait.

Anyways give him a call on Monday.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 5:33 pm 
Journeyman Member

Bill's North put Truglo's on two of my Glocks the same day, while I waited. Took about 40 minutes, and if you run out of toys to drool over in the showcases, there's a good coffee shop just four storefronts down. How can you beat that kind of service.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 7:05 pm 

APD wrote:
Bill's North put Truglo's on two of my Glocks the same day, while I waited. Took about 40 minutes, and if you run out of toys to drool over in the showcases, there's a good coffee shop just four storefronts down. How can you beat that kind of service.

I could change out Glock sights in about 5 minutes. If already at the range, they could be on and zero'd in 15. All you need is a glock rear-sight tool.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 8:42 pm 
Designated waste of protoplasm

WARNING

XD's sights are so tight that often the old ones need to be milled off - they are put on wiht a 10 ton press.

You may need the assistance of a friend of mine - he has doen them and they can be a bitch without the right tools and knowhow.

PM Me and we will put you in touch with "The Gun Dude."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:03 am 
Journeyman Member

goalie wrote:
I could change out Glock sights in about 5 minutes. If already at the range, they could be on and zero'd in 15. All you need is a glock rear-sight tool.

Great - so where were you when I needed to get those sights on? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:41 am 
Longtime Regular

I changed the front sight on my XD by myself. Just used some small C-clamps and some blocks of wood to push with.

XD's use the same dovetail as SIG.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 11:14 pm 

Pinnacle wrote:
WARNING

XD's sights are so tight that often the old ones need to be milled off - they are put on wiht a 10 ton press.

You may need the assistance of a friend of mine - he has doen them and they can be a bitch without the right tools and knowhow.

PM Me and we will put you in touch with "The Gun Dude."

I work at Bill's North and have yet to see the XD sight having to be milled off. We have done several of them without a problem. Give us a call and we will be more then happy to assist!!!...

Bruce
--

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 9:03 am 

Good luck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 11:06 am 

Bring it to Mark's gun shop in Minneapolis. He can do it, or he has someone local he uses for harder jobs.

My Homebrew journal http://brew.goalie.cx

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 11:56 am 

Fixxer has already been advised where to go - if Bills can do it - great - if they snap off a base because the dovetails are too tight (and they are on some of the older guns - then they will ned to be milled of)

We have done this more than once....... And have run into guns that you just could not pound the sights off of with anything and have had to run a cutter in the dovetails to just cut them out.

It happens. You snap off a sight - you will wind up sending it to someone with a mill and the skill - at an additional cost of time and trouble.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 9:48 am 
Longtime Regular

This has been discussed on the XD Forum. Some are able to tap them out with a brass rod, some can press out with a C clamp and others have been so tight they had to be machined out. I guess you find out how tight your particular sights are when you try to remove them. Sort of a crap shoot.

If life was fair, Robins couldn't eat worms...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 10:34 am 

that's why you send it to someone with a mill and is prepared to fix any problem that may arise - one time - one place.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.