Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 11:34 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
 What's the deal with SureFire? 
 Post subject: What's the deal with SureFire?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:18 am 
Longtime Regular

This is semi-gun-related: I have a SureFire flashlight, a Z2 CombatLight version, about 5 inches long, that's a very strong little light-thrower. . . but the cost of replacement batteries is insane. I forget how much, but it's not like picking up some C-cells at the grocery store.

Just yesterday, when I realized my wife was using it for general around-the-house flashlight purposes, I had to ask her to use something else. She asked why the batteries cost so much, and I opened my mouth to explain why, and then had to close it again because I don't know.

So my question is, what's so farging great about their batteries that we have to lay down that much cash for replacements?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 12:40 pm 
Longtime Regular

CR123 Litium batteries pack more energy in a smaller space than carbon-zinc or alkaline batteries, and they do cost more... But not that much more. Bought by the dozen from SureFire, they are $1.25 each, last time I ordered. (I see they are now $1.75.)

Consider that they are 3v and 1300 mAH, and have a 10-year storage life, and it's quite reasonable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 1:20 pm 
Longtime Regular

Thanks, Andrew. I had to pay a lot more than that for them, although I forget how much. I'll check Batteries Plus, which has been good to me so far.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 3:25 pm 

NEVER buy cr123 batteries from a grocery or drug store,I have seen them for 6-8 dollars each! I always buy by the dozen at whatever gun store I am at,usually for less than $20 for a dozen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 5:16 pm 
Longtime Regular

SureFire has a vested interest in keeping the price of batteries low - so they sell them pretty much at cost. Unless you can't wait, I always suggest ordering them in bulk straight from SureFire.

http://www.surefire.com/maxexp/main/co_ ... /sesent/00

Post subject: Re: What's the deal with SureFire?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:12 pm 
Site Admin

Dave Matheny wrote:
So my question is, what's so farging great about their batteries that we have to lay down that much cash for replacements?

CR123s are good batteries. I generally pay about $1 each for them, by checking for online sales.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:42 pm 
Longtime Regular

Thanks guys. This has been an issue in the back of my mind. I use a G2 . . . yeah the cheapy $34 dollar thing, but I am most interested in having a lot of light without alot of flashlight. I don't want too many things on me that could be weapons, while I am at work. I do want to conduct searches with a tool that makes me feel alot less prone to get stuck on a dirty needle or the like. I work with mentally ill and chemically dependant folks, basically we are the toliet handle for the people the system is about to flush. The percentage of my clients that are convicts is pretty high, so the boobytrap near the stash is an ever-present reality. I don't use the flashlight much except for searches and as a "nightstand" compliment for the pistol under the pillow.

Anyway, I love the tool, but have been a bit irked by the price of powering it.

Edited to add: I buy in bulk from the Surefire website myself. Paid tooo much at RadioShack once, when my juice went low & I couldn't wait for juice in a box to ship.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 11:30 pm 

I've seen the 12ct boxes at Cabela's and I think Gander Mountain. With them not on sale I'm thinking $20 per box. I haven't gotten any for a while so I could be wrong.

Steelheart

Post subject: Re: What's the deal with SureFire?
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 10:36 am 
Longtime Regular

Dave Matheny wrote:
Just yesterday, when I realized my wife was using it for general around-the-house flashlight purposes, I had to ask her to use something else. She asked why the batteries cost so much, and I opened my mouth to explain why, and then had to close it again because I don't know.

Volume, volume, volume! AAA through D sizes are everywhere. Economics drive the cost down. Lithium's have a much smaller distribution and use, so their price goes up. The benefits are: much higher energy content than an alkaline, and the cell voltage is twice and high (3 volt vs. 1.5 volt.)

Maybe you should get your wife one of the Streamlight Strion's I've been eying. A little fatter that a mini-maglite, output similar to other 2-cell lithiums, but rechargeable! Ohhhh, really lit up my tech-toy radar! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 10:51 pm 
Wise Elder

Ebay is the place to buy batteries.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.