Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 9:56 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ] 
 AR 15's 
 Post subject: AR 15's
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 8:52 pm 
Designated waste of protoplasm

Allriht

I am getting pressure from a good buddy of mine to just go out and get an AR.

Keeping in mind that I dont really like them - what do you all have for AR's?

Also keep in mind that my social gun is an 870 and that is all that I feel that I need.

I have a durefire deal for it and a front end rail deal and all the parts - just no rifle - I inherit stuff all the time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 9:53 pm 
Longtime Regular

Why not get an AR-10 or some clone?? Honestly, if I got an AR, I'd want one I could hunt with or do other things than plink at rodents or targets. The AR-10 is a .308. .308 ammo is cheap enough.

"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." [...a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand.] -- (Lucius Annaeus) Seneca "the Younger" (ca. 4 BC-65 AD),

The Nanny State MUST DIE!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 9:57 pm 

Problem is that I would get one in 223 and then build and 300 Whisper upper for it and then hunt with it.

nothing beats a 220 grain SBTGK at 1400 fps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 11:22 pm 
Forum Moderator/<br>AV Geek

Why would you consider an AR if you do not like them?

Maybe there are other rifles that you would like.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 11:24 pm 
Longtime Regular

I don't have any AR's. . . I am more an AK kind of guy, but I'd recommend a friend put AR money into a .458 SOCOM, .50Beowulf or maybe a Leitner-Wise .499 . . .

Daz just me though & ya hafta know, I'd just like to know somebody with one of those bad boys. For me an AR would probably be the Barrett in 6.8SPC, the .270ish chambering could actually take a deer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 6:06 am 
1911 tainted

I have a Bushmaster A3, 20" heavy barrel. Truthfully, I haven't shot it all that much, my 15 year old son usually volunteers for that duty, using bowling pins for targets.

I am looking seriously at a Rock River Arms in a 16" Varmint to mount some optics on and do some playing with.

Why? Because I can. 8)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 6:29 am 
Longtime Regular

I have a DPMS with a Bull barrell, but although it's a fun plinker, I consider it will be my wife's gun if needed. I much prefer the FAL or L1A1, as it was my issue rifle in the navy, so I'm very comfortable with it.
Surplus ammo is plentiful for practice and if you want to hunt with it, there are plenty of 5 round mags available.

my .02

UT BCI Certified Conceal/Carry Instructor

"If you expect the police to always be able to protect you, why are the ones who show up at crimes called 'detectives' instead of 'defenders'? Detectives try to find a criminal after they've committed a crime."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 7:20 am 

Pakrat wrote:
Why would you consider an AR if you do not like them?

Maybe there are other rifles that you would like.

You have to know the crowd that I run with..... my "Uncle" can exert a lot of pressure and can be very persuasive - ask Rothman or Goalie...

Basically - I don't have a lot of options - and I certainly dont love AR's - I dont have a lot of use for them other than 3 gun.

I like Fal's - a lot actually - but a good FAL is hard to find. I know a guy with a couple of 16" FAL's (congo config) that I may be able to buy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 3:55 pm 

Why don't you just build one? Pick up a Rock River or DPMS lower and then just hunt around for a cheap (or expensive) upper and parts kit. The whole thing takes about 15 minutes to assemble in that form. You can typically put the whole thing together, depending on brand names, for under $700 and sometimes much less.

If you don't care for them, I wouldn't obsess about it. They're just a practical semi-auto in a light recoiling caliber with lots of cha-cha's you can hang off it if you like. Your uncle's not asking you to stake your life on it, is he?

Frankly, the same argument holds true if you want a FAL, just build it. It's a pretty easy build process and parts kits are not too tough to come by...

Dirk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 5:05 pm 

I have a Bushmaster A2 in .308. It destroys bowling pins nicely and seems to intimidate the onlookers for some reason. It is purely an EVIL thing and all of them should be destroyed! Not!!!! :D

Occam's Razor:
one should not increase, beyond what is necessary, the number of entities required to explain anything.
Visit us at www.ddht.us

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 7:48 pm 
Longtime Regular

I have a Bushmaster M4 with a 14.5" barrel (suppressor brings it to a tidy 16") fun plinker that my son can shoot easy and well due to the collapsing stock and light weight / recoil. I bought it mostly for him... :roll: :roll: :roll: Ok, well I shot ARs in the service and one can carry more 223 ammo then 308 - not much of a point if deer hunting.

If money were no object I would chase after a Springfield M1A1. Not exactly light, but one can hunt deer with them, AND find 20 round mags. This would also be useful in 3 gun events... One can deck these out very nicely and the will beat an AR at accuracy every day of the week.

Something to think about eh...

Mostly-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 8:06 pm 

I just recently acquired my first AR, a Colt Match Target 20" H-Bar flat top. I like ARs for plinking, and in fact have started on another, a "scratch and dent" DPMS stripped lower from Bill's that I'm I'm going to build an M4gery around.

Jeff

Post subject: Re: AR 15's
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 10:13 am 
Longtime Regular

Pinnacle wrote:
Allriht

I am getting pressure from a good buddy of mine to just go out and get an AR.

Keeping in mind that I dont really like them - what do you all have for AR's?

Also keep in mind that my social gun is an 870 and that is all that I feel that I need.

I have a durefire deal for it and a front end rail deal and all the parts - just no rifle - I inherit stuff all the time.

Get a Rock River Arms .308

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.