Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Fri May 17, 2024 12:26 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Our Wonderful US Post Office 
 Post subject: Our Wonderful US Post Office
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 2:02 pm 
Longtime Regular

During the course of a discussion on a primarily military board, a young active duty Soldier was looking to replace his Mossberg 695 (Slug gun). I just happened to have a safe queen 695 that I saw an opportunity to get rid of. For some strange reason, he was quite fond of the 695 he had, but he felt he had to sell his guns before he joined the military. So, we worked out a deal.

Since having participated in this board and the High Road, I've gleaned a LOT of good info. I've researched shipping of firearms, followed the advice of members and their links they've published. I go over to the Post Office on Friday and inquire about shipping a shotgun. IMMEDIATELY, the clerk says , "We CAN'T DO THAT!!" I said, "excuse me, but I've researched the matter to some extent and you CAN ship long guns." She continues to argue and says, "I'll go get the Postmaster". He comes out, opens up their regulation book and the page on shipping firearms was ALREADY marked !! I suppressed a laugh. He pointed out that it was permissible and returned to his office. I then asked about dimensions, boxes, and a few other questions, as I have never had cause to ship a gun.

Today, I go back to the Post Office and a different clerk was there. A real smartass type. She says I can't ship it. Fortunately, the clerk I had discussed this with on Friday was standing at the next counter space and informed her that I could. Then the smartass clerk was saying, "I'm not putting MY number on it!!" I'm like..........WTF???? Then she asks me if it's disassembled. I told her that it's disassembled as much as it can be. Finally, the transaction got completed.

What really amazes me is the poor customer service, the know-it-all (but not really) attitudes and the immense lack of regulations knowledge of these counter clerks. All I can say is that "Forewarned is forearmed" !!! Had I NOT found the information around the boards and done some prior research, I would have wound up disappointed and pissed off.

"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." [...a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand.] -- (Lucius Annaeus) Seneca "the Younger" (ca. 4 BC-65 AD),

The Nanny State MUST DIE!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 2:21 pm 
Designated waste of protoplasm

As long as you shiped that to an FFL for him there should be no problems -

CDNN only ships handguns - Priority Mail..... Yeah thats rigt - US MAIL.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 2:27 pm 
Longtime Regular

Yes, of course I shipped it to a FFL Transfer Dealer. They didn't even question WHO it was being shipped to!!

"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." [...a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand.] -- (Lucius Annaeus) Seneca "the Younger" (ca. 4 BC-65 AD),

The Nanny State MUST DIE!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 2:32 pm 
Designated waste of protoplasm

Yeah - I went to the US post office for my passport many moons ago - the postmaster can verify your credentials so that you can send it in - I had to walk them through it as they id not know hw to properly stamp the paperwork.

Amazing....

Not a whole lot suprises me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 3:48 pm 
Forum Moderator

I had a similar experience trying to express mail a package that happened to be in a UPS overnight box.

I put some strategic marker Xs through UPS logos, and had used an entire 8x11 sheet of paper with the shipping and return addresses on one side of the box.

The jerk at the counter (Loop Station, downtown Minneapolis) said they would not accept a shipment in a UPS box. I explained the big marker Xs and the large, white sheet of paper covering one of the faces but the guy said they would not accept it.

I called some guy at the post office HQ for a ruling and he said there's no reason they couldn't accept it, but I guess any time you deal with a bureaucracy you end up with people who make up their own rules.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.