Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 9:00 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
 Break Free Powder Blast 
 Post subject: Break Free Powder Blast
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 9:12 am 
Longtime Regular

I bought some of this stuff at Wal-Mart and I have to say, it IS AWESOME. It cleans all the powder residue off your guns and works REALLY well. It has some pressure behind it and is not recommended to leave on plastics or rubber. After I cleaned one of my guns with it, I then lubed it up with some Break Free CLP.

It has Perchloroethylene, Methylene Chloride, and some sort of citrus solvent.

"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." [...a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand.] -- (Lucius Annaeus) Seneca "the Younger" (ca. 4 BC-65 AD),

The Nanny State MUST DIE!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 9:22 am 

Aerosol brake cleaner works really, really well and costs about a quarter of the gun-labeled products. Keep it off your hide and observe the caution about plastic & rubber parts.

The gun *will* be exceedingly dry afterward, so do follow with the lube.

JB

John Farnam (I believe)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 10:38 am 
1911 tainted

JonnyB wrote:
Aerosol brake cleaner works really, really well and costs about a quarter of the gun-labeled products. Keep it off your hide and observe the caution about plastic & rubber parts.

The gun *will* be exceedingly dry afterward, so do follow with the lube.

JB

I did some comparison between different brands of brake cleaners and different brands of gun scrubs or degreasers. Some of them have the exact same ingredients.

Kind of a funny thing actually happened this past Friday at the NRA convention when talking to some of the various manufactures that had their products on display. I was being told the merits of a particular brand of gun degreaser and I told the gentleman that for what they charged $7.00 or $8.00 for, I could go to my local auto supply store and buy the same thing for about $2.00. He leaned forward and half whispered in my ear that he does the same thing. :shock:
My wife and I got a good chuckle out of that.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 10:51 am 
Longtime Regular

A tip on brake and carb cleaner: it's a little safer for your guns (and you) if you buy the non-chlorinated stuff. Costs the same usually.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 2:33 pm 
Designated waste of protoplasm

I use Acetone and hot soapy water.....

And RB17 in the bore - wash that out with the hot soapy water.... Lube with Mobil 1 (I have had the same qwuart for like 10 years...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 2:56 pm 
Longtime Regular

This reminds me of the Cold Spring Brewery. They really only made one beer, they just changed the labels on the bottling machine when the wanted to make another brand.
Not sure if Cold Spring beer, or any of it's many other aliases, is still in production.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 4:32 pm 
Longtime Regular

Being an"older" shooter, I continue to use homebrewed "Ed's Red" which was adopted from Hatcher's "Frankford Arsenal Cleaner No.18." This formula costs about $12-15 per gallon. My last gallon has lasted for 3 years so far.

CONTENTS: Ed's Red Bore Cleaner
Formula deleted :cry: - if interested PM

CAUTION: FLAMMABLE MIXTURE -- HARMFUL IF SWALLOWED -- KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 4:38 pm 
Longtime Regular

I was quite surprised that this contained Methylene Chloride. I recall they took that stuff out of brake cleaners back in the late 80s. Methylene Chloride is a known carcinogen. Same with the Carb cleaner. I haven't purchased any of that stuff in the recent past as I don't clean carbs any more and it's been a long time since I've personally done a brake job.

"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." [...a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand.] -- (Lucius Annaeus) Seneca "the Younger" (ca. 4 BC-65 AD),

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 7:02 pm 
Longtime Regular

BigRobT wrote:
I was quite surprised that this contained Methylene Chloride. I recall they took that stuff out of brake cleaners back in the late 80s. Methylene Chloride is a known carcinogen. Same with the Carb cleaner. I haven't purchased any of that stuff in the recent past as I don't clean carbs any more and it's been a long time since I've personally done a brake job.

Much the same as I can not bring myself to pay $3 bucks for some frufru coffee, I can not bring myself to actually pay someone else to fix my brakes...

Would rather go without! :roll: :roll:

Mostly-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 8:01 pm 
Longtime Regular

Since all of my vehicles have ABS and I know one can easily screw up the ABS computer if they're not careful, I feel it's best to leave brake jobs to the professionals nowadays. Now, on my 72 Cutlass or a non ABS vehicle, I'm all over it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 8:42 pm 
Longtime Regular

mostlylawabidingcitizen wrote:
BigRobT wrote:

Much the same as I can not bring myself to pay $3 bucks for some frufru coffee, I can not bring myself to actually pay someone else to fix my brakes...

Would rather go without! :roll: :roll:

Mostly-

That's exactly why I have air bags............

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 6:31 am 
Longtime Regular

BigRobT wrote:
Since all of my vehicles have ABS and I know one can easily screw up the ABS computer if they're not careful, I feel it's best to leave brake jobs to the professionals nowadays. Now, on my 72 Cutlass or a non ABS vehicle, I'm all over it.

That's not been my experience.
I've done brake replacements on at least 6 different vehicles with 4 wheel ABS, and never had to do anything different in regard to the ABS computer- same exact process as non ABS. Some were Ford, Some GM, and one Chrysler.

One time due to my lazyness, I took my truck to the shop to have front brakes replaced. I watched the mechanic, and he did the job the same way I always have. Truck has 4 wheel abs.

This past weekend I put new pads and rotors on my daughers ABS car, (AGAIN!). The pads cost me about $40, and each rotor was $30.
She was metal on metal, so I couldn't turn the rotors. But it only cost a total of $30 more for new vs turning the old ones.
Total parts was just around $100.

Price quote from local tire shop: Rotors- $85 EACH. Pads, same quaility as I bought- $80 for the set. Labor $150. For less than one hours work, they wanted with tax and "shop supplies" over $400 for the same job.

But it's dirty grubby work, and not everyone cares to do it.
For $300 I'll get pretty grimy!

But check into your vehicle, you might find it's not at all different then swapping pads on your 72 Cutlass. Which is a damn nice car, BTW.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.