Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 6:43 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 When did you get your first carry permit? 
 Post subject: When did you get your first carry permit?
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 2:36 pm 
Longtime Regular

I got my first carry permit in 1960 in Minot, ND. My company had just landed a 3 year engineering contract with the USAF at the Minot Air Force Base and a group of us were sent out there for 3+ years. I went to the county sheriff and after asking me a couple of questions he issued me a permit on the spot. He said to carry concealed so I didn't alarm anyone. After that assignment I went back to New York for a period of time and was later sent to WI for quite a few years until being transferred to MN in 1985. I never had another carry permit until after I retired and started spending winter in AZ. In 2000, when AZ started issuing non-resident permits I got my second carry permit. I got my third in MN in 2003. Even though AZ recognizes my MN permit, I still keep my AZ permit current since it's good in many states that MN is not.

How about the rest of you, any stories?

If life was fair, Robins couldn't eat worms...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 2:43 pm 
Longtime Regular

November '05...

-Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 2:52 pm 
Longtime Regular

06/2004

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 2:54 pm 
Longtime Regular

Right after the 2003 shall issue legislation was passed.
There was no point in trying prior to that in this city.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 3:38 pm 
The Man

1993. What a long, strange trip it's been . . .

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 3:51 pm 
Delicate Flower

03..............and as said earlier.......no sense in even trying prior to that.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 4:07 pm 
1911 tainted

Did try earlier, have the denial letter from local Sheriff hanging on the front of one of my gun safes.
So I applied for my Minnesota permit to carry in May of 2003 and got it 29 days later.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 4:45 pm 
Longtime Regular

I received mine Oct 05, maybe the first of Nov 05. I saw the BS going on with the permits from 03 and said to myself that I'd wait until it all got ironed out. It just seemed like too much ado about nothing at that point. I think it worked to my advantage to wait.

"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." [...a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand.] -- (Lucius Annaeus) Seneca "the Younger" (ca. 4 BC-65 AD),

The Nanny State MUST DIE!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 5:13 pm 
Journeyman Member

1988 while in Flight School (Ft. Rucker AL) - I went to the sheriff's office, showed my mil ID, paid $10 and got a permit. My buddy came down from Ft. Benning, showed his ID, paid $10 and the deputy gave him his permit (she never got off the phone, or even interrupted her conversation while filling out the form)!

1992 in Panama, but I had to give my pistol to the cops for a couple weeks - supposedly for a "test fire". My friend had a stainless S&W 44 mag that it took the police over a year to "test fire". However, we also had a SOFA card (Status of Forces Agreement) AKA - the get out of jail free card. But the Panama Nat'l Police (PNP) were the old Panama Defense Force (PDF - Noriaga's boys), they literally woke up one morning and put new patches on their uniforms, so we didn't want to get caught while alone by the police. We had a couple guys get shot by the PNP while I was there. The cops would drive down the street in unmarked cars with their M-16's hanging out the windows.

2003 in MN.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 5:34 pm 

First permit was Florida non-resident 6/02,got Mn.6/03 [permit # 0001 in my county of issue]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 6:57 pm 
Longtime Regular

I was standing in line when the MPPA first took affect in 03. I have two denial letters prior to that. Applied once and got one (denial), and then there was a call out from CCRN to apply even if you knew you wouldn't get one so the denial rates would reflect "real life" - so I tried again - with no more success.

Stated need - "Personal protection - Please see the current days Star Tribune for a list of reasons why I need personal protection." :lol:

Mostly-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 7:52 pm 
Longtime Regular

July of 05

Side Guard Holsters
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 8:26 pm 

I received my permit on March 5, 2004.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 10:19 pm 
Designated waste of protoplasm

August 12, 1992

New York State Pistl Permit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 2:44 am 

2/06 noob 8)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.