Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 7:04 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Girl shot while biking/Shotspotter revealed 
 Post subject: Girl shot while biking/Shotspotter revealed
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:19 pm 
Longtime Regular

Saw this story on KMSP 9 last week, but can't find any mention of it on their site anymore:

Quote:
KSTP.com - 5 EYEWITNESS NEWS
U of M student shot while riding her bike
Updated: 06/07/2006 05:31:29 PM

A 26-year-old University of Minnesota graduate student has a BB lodged in her leg after she was shot Wednesday while riding her bike in south Minneapolis.

The Shot rang out around 9:45 a.m. at Bloomington Ave. and 31st St. E. Police think the shots came from a nearby house. Police are still looking for the gun and more evidence.

There was a brief standoff at the house after the shooting. Police closed a portion of Bloomington Ave. and even called in the SWAT team. They eventually arrested four people that they believe were involved with the shooting.

Anna Selmecki was simply doing what she does every day--riding her bike to class at the U of M.

"To have this kind of violence affect me is very unnerving," she told 5 EYEWITNESS NEWS. Selmecki said she considers herself very lucky to not be seriously injured.

She was taken to Hennepin County Medical Center and released. She will not have to have surgery, but she said doctors decided to leave the BB in her leg.

Meanwhile, neighbors watched the morning police frenzy.

"This is scary," said neighbor Chris Knudsen. "I got six kids and they run around here all the time."

Turns out it was just a BB gun, but on KMSP, before that was known, they were lamenting that a new gun shot detector was supposed to have been installed in that neighborhood, but wasn't working yet. Obviously, if it was working, it wouldn't have detected a BB gun anyhow.

However, this is the first I had heard of this technology being available and wow - it's already installed in Minneapolis, and it also has video integration. Sheesh - I think I'm getting paranoid now. When do they turn on the x-ray cameras to see who's packing and who's not?
http://www.shotspotter.com/

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Girl shot while biking/Shotspotter revealed
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:34 pm 

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you! :shock:

To expect bad men not to do wrong is madness, for he who expects this desires an impossiblity. But to allow men to behave so to others and expect them not to do thee any wrong is irrational and tyranical. Marcus Aurelius

I won't mind if you call me a racist. And I'm sure YOU won't mind if I call you a target of opportunity.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:37 pm 
Longtime Regular

Since when does a shot from a BB gun 'ring out'? Seems like there's clichés that journalists have to use; maybe it's a union rule.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:38 pm 
Longtime Regular

Maybe she had a steel plate in her leg?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:51 pm 
Forum Moderator/<br>AV Geek

Moved to General Gun Discussions.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 6:25 pm 
Delicate Flower

Notice "The Shot" (capital s) rang out. Must have capitalized it for emphasis.........and I have never heard a bb gun shot ring out either :?

Must be a musical BB gun.........have to get me one of those. Maybe with crimson trace grips......sound and light show :wink:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 6:55 pm 
Longtime Regular

I actually have the Ch 5 news story about this "shot spotter" technology on tape.

I have a couple questions:

1: How well does this technology get along with thunderstorms? How often are the police gonna be cahsing their tails when the system eventually drifts out of spec?

2: How much chaos and confusion could one cause with a pack of firecrackers? How about on the Fourth of July?

This system is flawed at its inception; it's a reactive measure that tells the police where to find the victim. The truth is there are only one or two things that will help reduce the crime rates in Mpls... Either increase the manpower of the police force 10 times, having a cop on every block with a TASER or ease the restrictions on concealed carry.

The second option might get me to go downtown a little more often, but the first one would probably kill their economy. Having more cops on Block E would be a little like Las Vegas trying to be a little more "family friendly".

"We're either gonna be the best of friends or there's gonna be a whole lotta shootin' goin' on."

"I think it's a good thing for serving cops to mix with non-cops in a situation where they understand that they aren't in charge." -JoelR

"You'd be amazed at the things a bullet can stop." -Old Irish Proverb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 7:19 pm 

Pat Cannon wrote:
Since when does a shot from a BB gun 'ring out'? Seems like there's clichés that journalists have to use; maybe it's a union rule.

lmfao!! that is exactly what i thought when i read it. seems like some journalists are stuck in a rut.......stuck in a rut.......stuck in a rut looking for descriptive terms.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.