Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 5:07 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Springfield XD9 vs XD40 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:49 pm 
Forum Moderator/<br>AV Geek

I would guess that they have already started designing it. Or, if they haven't, they will with the success of the full-sized.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 6:12 am 
Longtime Regular

Know what I want to see? Something between the Duty length and the SubCompact size.

I'm not yet comfortable with Glocks as an every day carry weapon. That's just where I'm at at the moment. The XD's Grip safety does add some complexity but it gives me peace of mind.

So why did I fing myself handling a Compact Glock, the Glock 19, and the XD in SC and Duty lengths? Well, I have a friend set on buyig the 19. And After handling them, I can't blame him.

The 19 is a nice combination of Smaller grip and long slide. It's almost as if it had the SC's smaller grip and the Duty's longer barrel. It doesn't go all the way to Tiny grip but it makes the compromise between concealability and handling. I want to see THAT from a XD!

Thursday night A and I are going to have a shooting comparison at Bill's. 300 rounds should do it :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 7:54 am 
Longtime Regular

squib_joe wrote:
Tick Slayer wrote:
I think I'm sad the XD-45 doesn't come in subcompact.

Soon.

I already have the 4". I just knew those bastards were going to make me buy an extra gun!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:26 am 
Longtime Regular

plblark wrote:
The 19 is a nice combination of Smaller grip and long slide. It's almost as if it had the SC's smaller grip and the Duty's longer barrel. It doesn't go all the way to Tiny grip but it makes the compromise between concealability and handling. I want to see THAT from a XD!

I have two words for you, sir. "Pearce extension".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:32 am 
Longtime Regular

Tick Slayer wrote:
plblark wrote:

I have two words for you, sir. "Pearce extension".

The extension would indeed make the SC short grips shootable for me but wouls do nothing for the barrel length. Some brave soul on the XD forums took a hacksaw and dremel to his XD 4" duty pistol and made the grip into the SC grip length. Takes SC magazines as well. I'll bet THAT voided his warranty :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:38 am 
Longtime Regular

I'd like to look at that - do you think you can dig the link up?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:56 am 
Longtime Regular

squib_joe wrote:
Tick Slayer wrote:

Soon.

Are you speculating or have you heard something that we haven't heard on the XD forum. While I've got you here is there any word on the Serpa holster in sub compact? At your open house the Blackhawk guy told us 60 days for the introduction, yet it seems they are having trouble keeping up with the 4 inch holster, much like Springfield getting out the bi tone 45. This however isn't an issue to me as I did get mine out of the first batch they released. I do have two friends on the waiting list at the same dealer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:19 am 
Longtime Regular

DeanC wrote:
I'd like to look at that - do you think you can dig the link up?
\

no pictures but some discussion:
http://www.hs2000talk.com/viewtopic.php ... ht=hacksaw

one chop job:
http://www.hs2000talk.com/viewtopic.php ... highlight=

PICTURES, Get your PEECTURES HERE!:
http://www.hs2000talk.com/viewtopic.php ... light=grip

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:11 pm 
Longtime Regular

I haven't shot a service length XD, but I find my SC quite manageable. I suppose there might be an appreciable difference in .40.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:16 pm 
Longtime Regular

I've shot both. They're both good guns. At likely Defensive distances, the SC is accurate enough for me. The grip is a bit small for my hand but that can be overcome with a Pearce Grip extension. I would suspect the shape would print a bit more but under an untucked shirt not be identifiable. In a tucked IWB holster, that extra print could "make" you.

Thursday we'll play around with the differences. 300 rounds, 2 XD's and a Glock19 later and we'll see how the preferences come out :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:45 pm 
Longtime Regular

Keep us posted. I carry the XD-SC, DH carries the G-19. They're both excellent guns.

I have a friend who carries an XD-SC with the Pearce extension and she says it doesn't change concealability. (She carries OWB or in a SmartCarry.) Mine is standard because my hands are little enough to allow good control and comfort without the extension. I did try to carry with the extended magazine (significantly different from the Pearce extension) and found that to be too much of a hassle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:35 pm 
Longtime Regular

MNBud wrote:
squib_joe wrote:
Tick Slayer wrote:

Soon.

Are you speculating or have you heard something that we haven't heard on the XD forum. While I've got you here is there any word on the Serpa holster in sub compact? At your open house the Blackhawk guy told us 60 days for the introduction, yet it seems they are having trouble keeping up with the 4 inch holster, much like Springfield getting out the bi tone 45. This however isn't an issue to me as I did get mine out of the first batch they released. I do have two friends on the waiting list at the same dealer.

Springfield has been good about meeting a demand.. and there has been a huge demand for a SC version of the XD-45. But yes, I'm just speculating.

Blackhawk is funny about their CQC holsters. Nothing for the sub-compact XD, 3" 1911, or full-size HK USP. They haven't been able to keep up with their leather holster orders either.

The bi-tone XD-45 is readily available as far as I know. We had a couple in stock as of last weekend.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 12:04 pm 
Designated waste of protoplasm

WestSideGuy wrote:
I had a Rueger 45 before my Glock 19 so I know about recoil and expensive ammo. I can't image the XD40 would be more in either category. To tell you the truth, money is not the concern.

Im a decent shot so I assume more stopping power = better carry gun.

I like the XD9 as well.

Would someone please define stopping power for me? I have been codjitating this issue for a number of years and I have to tell you that stopping power is a myth.

Again - the gun you carry is the gun that you shoot the best. PERIOD. Shot placement is all that matters. You make 2 well placed shots center mass with any effective SD caliber - you are MILES ahead. Stopping power means nothing - I think that it is something that was made u by ammunition manufacturers to sell really overpriced bullets.

A 45 ACP with 230 BALL is about as good as it gets for SD IMHO - 2 holes - always feeds - pleanty of penetration and accuracy potential. Too many people get tied up in their panties over stopping power.

I have gone ot a 40 from a 9mm - because I thought that it was the next logical step in progression for me - I have all but mastered the 9mm after 14 years of owning and shooting the same 9mm's - a 40 is a vast departure from a 9mm.

Is it a better SD Caliber? Does it have more stopping power? I dont know - I seem to shoot it well enough to place hits center mass in a handspan sized group at just about any reasonable distance.... Is this adequate? Yup - but then again so is a 9mm that you can do the same thing with.

Stopping power is a myth IMHO...... It is what you shoot the best. All of this nonsense about FT/LBS on target in one shot is meaningless because the human body cannot abosorb all of that massive energy anyhow - A human is not that tough.

You shoot someone - a center mass hit with a pistol - you are counting on bleed out and not instant incapacitation. A Handgun is a marginal SD tool to begin with - we all need to realize that.

Basically - carry what you shoot the best and dont worry about stopping power. Learn with something easier to master - then move on - 40 is not that easy to shoot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 4:59 pm 
Longtime Regular

I carry a Glock 17 9mm and an H&K USP 40. I carry the Glock more because I am more accurate with it.

I tend to believe that main considerations for a defensive handgun are:
1) It fits you.
2) The recoil is not so great that it is unpleasant to shoot (or even dangerous).
3) You can hit what you are aiming at.

Things you can consider:
1) A bigger hole is a good thing (achieve buy getting a larger caliber gun or using an expanding bullet).
2) The more energy transferred to the target (measured in trauma to the surrounding tissue) is better.
3) Even a .22 can kill.

If you don’t get the first three right, the others make no difference. In my opinion there is no one right gun or one right magic bullet, it is what works best for you.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.