Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:50 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Least favorite gun store? 
 Post subject: Least favorite gun store?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 11:52 pm 
Forum Moderator

What's your least favorite gun store and why? I think to try to avoid just senseless trashing, don't post unless you can add a sentence or two.

My least favorite is the Richfield Pawn & Gun. The staff doesn't really know anything about guns, with the exception of the owner, who isn't always there. The inventory is, frankly, pretty low rent, and the prices sky high.

I also had a personal experience trading in a gun that wasn't entirely satisfactory. I used the place because it was close to my house and I *thought* he was going to give me a decent price on a mint P89 with high-cap mags, box, etc that I wasn't having any luck trading in elsewhere. Instead he got fast and loose with his numbers and I'm pretty sure he cheated me.

Needless to say, I'll never go back; I'll drive to Hart Bros. in Albert Lea first or pay Gander's prices.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 2:04 am 
Longtime Regular

I'm not sure this is going to be an acceptable topic so to get it off and running I'm going to say that I have had the best deals on my last three purchases from the Frontiersman in Saint Louis Park. One of the purchases included a trade in on a rifle that I hadn't been using. So anyone that has bad feelings about any gun shops,give them a try. You won't be sorry. My vote goes to Paul, he is very knowlegable and a great guy to talk to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 6:51 am 
Forum Moderator

I guess I'm not sure why it wouldn't be a legitimate topic.

Is there something politically incorrect about complaining about someplace that sells guns? I know I've seen Gander Mountain referred to negatively before around here, I guess I don't see why the other places ought to get a free pass for bad behavior.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 8:05 am 
Forum Moderator/<br>AV Geek

It's just that you are opening a open-ended-bashing discussion thread. If you had a specific complaint about an incident at a store, it would be a little better. Also, least "favorite" opens it to more opinions instead of 'bad experiences'. That is my opinion.

The Outdoorsman (Hopkins): The owner was a nice guy and was happy to talk my ear off when I was first looking for a gun. But, he only sold CZ (for handguns). And at a pretty high price. I believe I saved $100 buying from Bill's. He only carried CZ's because that's the 'best pistol in the world.' The Outdoorsman is now closed, I do not know if they went under or if they just moved. Anyone watch Joe Dirt? "It's not what you like, it's the consumer."

Bill's: I don't want to bash Bill's, because they serve their purpose. They are the big retail store type gun shop. With that said, I don't think they hire the best people. The older guys are a little short with people. When dealing with guns, you should be very outgoing and very kind to people.

Frontiersman: It's close to me, but their attitude (with me and friends) seems to be "why are YOU in my store?" They will answer questions, but do not offer up information.

Metro Pawn and Gun: I've only been in there once. But, they were friendly and in a good mood. I didn't exchange any opinions with them. (at that time) One guy said he has to order another CC Badge... :?

Gun Stop (Minnetonka): I did not realize how close that place was to me (hopkins). I've been in there a couple times, seems like a nice place. The people there are willing to joke with you. The problem is that it's a little small.

(Previously known as) Galyans: They were pretty friendly... But Dick's don't sell handguns.

Koscielski's (Minneapolis): Great place, the best gun shop in the state. :D

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 8:10 am 
The Man

mobocracy wrote:
I guess I'm not sure why it wouldn't be a legitimate topic.

Is there something politically incorrect about complaining about someplace that sells guns? I know I've seen Gander Mountain referred to negatively before around here, I guess I don't see why the other places ought to get a free pass for bad behavior.
Administrative ruling: as long as the discussion is reasonably polite, as it has been, and criticism is of policy and behavior rather than attacks on people, as it has been, it's just fine. Not a problem.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 8:57 am 
Longtime Regular

I think making a living running a gun shop is a tough challenge.

If you choose to do that, there is little room for surliness, rudeness, bigotry, or any strong personal bias in product selection.

"It's not what you like, it's the consumer."

Interesting thing about the local shops: Bill's is clearly looking to be the biggest store in town, but Frontiersman and GunStop have both told me that they're as big as they want to be.

They are seemingly in business because they want to be around guns all day, not to expand the business.

Okay with me, I guess. I just worry that in trying not to grow, they may actually shrink away to nothing.

On the other hand, GunStop seems to be doing just fine on word of mouth. I guess being friendly, having fair prices and knowledgable people is working out okay for them. :)

I've also had good experiences at Frontiersman. The guys are taciturn, but friendly enough, and certainly knowledgable, when engaged in conversation. Their prices are also quite fair.

On the other hand, at the Outdoorsman, when the proprietor complained about people trying to "Jew him down," I lost interest in dealing with the business.

Here's a summary I posted on THR of West Metro gun stores some time ago.
Quote:

Minneapolis:

Bill's (Robbinsdale) -
- Good selection of handguns
- Hit-or-miss gun knowledge
- High pressure sales
- high prices
- Lots of holsters and accessories
- Range in the basement

Frontiersman (St. Louis Park) -
- Good selection
- Good gun knowledge
- Low pressure sales
- Fair prices

Outdoorsman (Hopkins) -
- Smith on site
- Bigoted, CZ-fan, Glock-bashing owner
- Small selection of handguns
- Almost no CCW accessories

GunStop Reloading Supplies (Minnetonka) -
- Huge selection of long guns
- Moderate selection of handguns
- Good gun knowledge
- VERY customer-friendly
- Best prices I've seen in town

Streicher's (Golden Valley) -
- Small selection of handguns - they don't sell Glocks to non-cops
- HUGE selection of accessories - everything a police officer needs
- holsters
- ammo
- supplies
- OC spray
- Flashlights
- Royal Robbins!
- VERY friendly and helpful customer service

Gander Mountain (Minnetonka & other locations) -
- Great attitude! (sign on door: "All firearms must be unloaded and cased. This does not apply to CCW.")
- Fair selection of firearms
- Fair prices
- ALWAYS friendly and helpful staff

Last edited by Andrew Rothman on Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Least favorite gun store?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:31 am 
Longtime Regular

mobocracy wrote:
My least favorite is the Richfield Pawn & Gun. The staff doesn't really know anything about guns, with the exception of the owner, who isn't always there. The inventory is, frankly, pretty low rent, and the prices sky high.

I also had a personal experience trading in a gun that wasn't entirely satisfactory. I used the place because it was close to my house and I *thought* he was going to give me a decent price on a mint P89 with high-cap mags, box, etc that I wasn't having any luck trading in elsewhere. Instead he got fast and loose with his numbers and I'm pretty sure he cheated me.

Interesting, my experience with Richfield Gun and Pawn Shop:

Ordered gun from out-of-state and had it run through them, pleasant experience.

Wife went to pick up the above-mentioned gun and got talked into buying a beautiful Taurus 38 special. She came home with a smile and a giggle.

Bought a Kimber and paid a fair price. I ended up having many problems and sent it back to Kimber’s Custom Shop, twice. They were very cooperative and helped expedite, both times.

During these exchanges and at other times, have not gone in to gain or utilize their knowledge, only to look at specific guns and check prices

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 11:53 am 
1911 tainted

J&S has guns priced over manufacture suggested price, enough said.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Try rural?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 1:18 pm 

My opinion, Twin Cities gun prices are around 5-10% higher than alot of the rural shops like Little Crow Shooting Sports in Hutchinson or Scheels in St. Cloud or Mankato. I am using Frontiersman (which from the general consensus of this thread so far has been determined to be reasonable for the cities) as my comparison because I stop in there once in awhile for special targets and check out their prices. Of course with gas prices the way the are it doesn't pay to drive too far to save 5-10%. :?

Occam's Razor:
one should not increase, beyond what is necessary, the number of entities required to explain anything.
Visit us at www.ddht.us

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 4:16 pm 
Longtime Regular

You should check out, for your review, the Sportsmen's Warehouse, up in Coon Rapids. Few, if any used handguns, but a huge selection of new. Lots of reloading supplies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 5:52 pm 
Longtime Regular

chunkstyle wrote:
You should check out, for your review, the Sportsmen's Warehouse, up in Coon Rapids. Few, if any used handguns, but a huge selection of new. Lots of reloading supplies.

I agree :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 6:50 pm 
Longtime Regular

I have had no bad experiences at Bill's. I have been going in there weekly for about 10 years. I "know" a couple of the long term employees and have not had any problems with them. The new guys do seem to have their opinions.

Frontiersman is a nice shop, but as some one said, you get the feeling they want to know why you came in.

Gunstop is very small, and I have not found the gentleman who work there very helpful at all. I went in to trade one day and had to wait 10 minutes for the guy to get off the computer only to find he had to go get someone else to look at my trade. I get the feeling there that it is a bother when you ask to look at something. But maybe it is me.

I guess all in all, I do my research then go and find what I want. If I want to go and just grope, I go to Bill's. It is close and plus, I can then go shoot. :D :D

Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:09 pm 
on probation

cobb wrote:
J&S has guns priced over manufacture suggested price, enough said.
The best way to buy a firearm is go to the phone book and call all the gun shops. First get the salesmen name. Ask him what his best price is on the gun that you want to buy. “S&W Model 642 etc. an part # of the gun is the best that way you are talking apples to apples. The salesmen know that you are not in his store and to get you there he will give you the best price. He knows that you are calling gun shops and he wants you at his shop. Before I got my gun shop that’s what I did and it works well. Few times I got to the gun shop and they told me that they couldn’t sell it to me at that price. I then walk right out and didn’t go back to the shop.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 1:43 am 
Journeyman Member

I've traded two pistols at the Gander Mountain, Woodbury and was very pleased with the amounts given to me. Have purchased two used and two new pistols from Gander and the prices, when compared to like firearms on gunsamerica.com or gunbroker.com were fair. Knowledgeable sales staff is hit and miss especially at the new store location.

J&S seemed overpriced and when I enquired about a particular Beretta pistol was instead given the hard sell on a high-end 1911.

I like Frontiersman, but the guys do seem wary, but are knowledgeable once you engage them.

Ralph's Gun and Pawn in Anoka has a very good selection of new and used handguns and the staff is uniformly knowledeable and friendly. Greg in particular is a hellova nice guy and good to deal with.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 9:30 pm 

The memorable poor gun shop experience for me is from Red Bear Hunting Emporium in Mankato. On 2 separate occasions maybe a week apart, with dealing with 2 different employee's (owner types from my impressions) while looking for a compact kimber 1911 I received a lecture on "The Glory of Colt". And it covered mainly AR's not 1911's. This was 2+ years ago.

I stopped in recently while looking for a carry holster for my 38 snub. I had time to waste and wanted to give them another try. The carry holster selection was ok for a local shop but the gentleman that I talked to was trying to steer me to something completely different from what I wanted. And I am somewhat picky....

I will state that the above times are the only times that I have every been in this store and I have never spent a dime there. And I'm not likely to. There is a Scheels and a Gander Mountain in Mankato and I'm originally from Albert Lea and have been in Harts too many times.

On a related note, if you want a way to check prices Hart has a website that's kept fairly up to date.
http://www.hart-bros.com/

Steelheart

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.