Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:58 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Least favorite gun store? 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 7:16 am 
Forum Moderator

Steelheart wrote:
On a related note, if you want a way to check prices Hart has a website that's kept fairly up to date.
http://www.hart-bros.com/

I was pretty impressed with Hart Bros. I bought a mint S&W 1006 there after seeing it listed on GunsAmerica and realizing that the gun was in-state and only an hour or so away.

For a home-based business (at least it LOOKS like he lives upstairs), he runs an amazing business. Inventory is huge -- I'd say pushing some Gander inventories and way beyond any of the smaller shops in the Metro area. And the whole thing seems completely computerized as far as inventory goes; I'd wager that on-line inventory is totally up to date.

He even had a new-in-box 1006 magazine and some Remington UMC 10mm ammo; having both at the same time is pretty unusual for any gun shop.

The only down side is the fact that it's Albert Lea, which is just slightly farther than I'd normally care to drive for casual shopping.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 2:01 am 

Yes, that's his home. He added on the area that the shop is in a few years ago (yes, that whole wing). From what I've seen his inventory is up-to-date within 24 hrs. Growing up with this as your local shop spoils you. I tend to check his site frequently just to see if anything of interest wandered in.
Also, if you get a gun from him and it isn't right, he'll do what he can to fix it. I traded for a used Mossberg 500 a while back that the safety self-engaged with heavy loads (full power OO buck and slugs, 2.75"). He was backed up for 'smithing but within a couple of months replaced the trigger assembly and the safety assembly as no charge to me. He doesn't do this with stocks or some lower end guns, but he will say this when you get it (or at least he used to).

There is another gun shop in town, Marv's. It's a decent shop but I don't think I've gotten anything more than a little ammo over the years. I don't think he's on the web either.

Steelheart

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 2:50 pm 
Longtime Regular

I guess I need to check the web site for Hart Brothers, but based on the prices I see at the MN Weapons Collector shows they attend, I would not be able to afford anything from them. I recall last fall the show at the RiverCenter that they had a 2nd gen Glock 19 for $550 with 1 10 round mag. I asked if they were flexible and the gentleman I spoke with indicated that the price was already so low I was a moron for asking if he could go lower. I quickly left the table.

Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 2:55 pm 
on probation

Moby Clarke wrote:
I guess I need to check the web site for Hart Brothers, but based on the prices I see at the MN Weapons Collector shows they attend, I would not be able to afford anything from them. I recall last fall the show at the RiverCenter that they had a 2nd gen Glock 19 for $550 with 1 10 round mag. I asked if they were flexible and the gentleman I spoke with indicated that the price was already so low I was a moron for asking if he could go lower. I quickly left the table.
WOW and to think I sell the NEW Glock with the 2 high cap for 519.00 :roll:

Last edited by lastgunshop on Wed Oct 26, 2005 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 3:18 pm 
Forum Moderator

Moby Clarke wrote:

Was that gun show behavior or their pricing generally? I can remember hitting the River Center show on Sunday and having someone from their table ask me to make an offer on something. Maybe early in the show they won't sell cheaper or that guy didn't see you as serious. Face-face capitalism can be that way.

I did notice one curiosity when I bought the S&W 1006 from them. He had two of them, and the one I bought I thought was slightly in better condition but was priced about $75 cheaper. When I asked him why he said that it just reflected his purchase price -- he paid less for one gun, so he let it go for less money. But I bought mine at the store, not the gun show.

I can only guess, but maybe there's some minimum percentage they feel they need to make on every gun, and they don't rationalize it among all their guns (eg, sell one widely available model at a loss knowing you can make it up on a more expensive item).

The guy's business seems successful and his inventory is big, so I presume he knows what he's doing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 5:42 pm 
1911 tainted

Moby Clarke wrote:
a moron for asking

I would have to believe that is was some temp help that would say that to a customer and not Milan Hart. In all of my years of dealing with him, and I had to of asked some of the more stupider questions, I was never belittled by Milan. Most dealers complain that Hart is hard to compete with on prices, and I do not know what would have been so special about the Glock, maybe nights sights?
I have to say that Milan talks the talk and walks the walk of a salesman, but unless there was a lot more said, I cannot see him calling a potential customer a moron. This is my opinion, and it wouldn't be the first time I was wrong. :oops:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 10:06 am 
Journeyman Member

Customer Service: Mark's. He wouldn't remember me from adam, but, i've always been impressed with his willingness to help/advise. None of the
"if you have to ask, you're beneath my dignity" nonsense you get at Bill's.
I just can't understand how he maintains his sanity between the commies trying to zone him out of biz and the urban trash that parks outside his door.

Selection: Ahlman's in Morristown. Nobody comes close. The sign says they have 3000 guns; i'll bet it's twice that. Very hospitable and the largest smithing operation i've ever seen outside of the military.

Price: Joe's Sporting Goods. I've got a friend with a FFL and even he can't beat Joe's.

Honorable Mention: Gander in Maplewood. Friendly, knowledgeable and just pleasant to converse with. A good bunch.

The new Cabela's in Rogers seems like it's really trying and they sure have an interesting selection. Not too impressed with their prices, but their staff seems genuinely interested in customer service.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 11:13 am 

:evil:

Last edited by BB Guns on Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Did you tell the whole truth?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 6:16 pm 
First-time poster

Moby Clarke wrote:

Did you forget to mention that this Glock had an internal laser? Small details like this do adjust the price of the firearm. I have worked with Milan for 33 years (his wife) and I do not believe he called you or anyone else a moron. He is patient to a fault, and never uses the term moron even when he is upset. You did not ask if he was flexible you asked if there was any further Police Discount. But again, the big price difference is because of the $350 internal guide rod laser. We still have the firearm for inspection.

Post subject: Re: Did you tell the whole truth?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 8:28 pm 

HartBrothers wrote:
Moby Clarke wrote:

Did you forget to mention that this Glock had an internal laser? Small details like this do adjust the price of the firearm. I have worked with Milan for 33 years (his wife) and I do not believe he called you or anyone else a moron. He is patient to a fault, and never uses the term moron even when he is upset. You did not ask if he was flexible you asked if there was any further Police Discount. But again, the big price difference is because of the $350 internal guide rod laser. We still have the firearm for inspection.

Aaah, another great example of how what is NOT said is often more important than what is said.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 6:34 am 
The Man

I wasn't there, so I don't know what was said, or how, but I've done business with the Hart Brothers at several gun shows, over several years, and have found them usually very busy, but always polite. Their prices have, in stuff I've been interested in, varied from a little over what I'd expect to find at a gunshow to clear bargains (usually on used revolvers).

If I was in the market for a used Glock with an internal guide rod laser, I'd think $550 was a definite bargain; I wouldn't think it would be a bargain for one without.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 11:47 am 

[quote="chunkstyle"]You should check out, for your review, the Sportsmen's Warehouse, up in Coon Rapids. Few, if any used handguns, but a huge selection of new. quote]

Make that NO used. I was told they only carry new. However, they did have a great selection of new guns and seemed like pretty good prices. Service was excellent! The only thing I didn't like is that all the guns are hung on the wall behind the counter, and it's hard to see them. I ended up buying a Taurus 94 for my wife. Very happy with them!

TomK
Mpls, MN

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 3:19 pm 
Longtime Regular

The only thing I don't like about Sportsmen's Warehouse was the nanchalance that they showed concerning mussel control. I know the guns are all unloaded but I dislike having a gun pointed at me for any reason, regardless if it is unloaded. I am sure it was not intentional and they are very good sales people but it was a bit unnerving.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 4:07 pm 
1911 tainted

mo_the_mouse wrote:
I know the guns are all unloaded but I dislike having a gun pointed at me for any reason, regardless if it is unloaded.

Just have to ask, but how do you know it is unloaded, did you check it yourself? I do not know that any gun is unloaded until I check it, and then I still have to demonstrate muzzle control. I just what you to realize the mistake that you are making by assuming that the gun is unloaded without checking it yourself. I can tell you a story about a fathers gun that he knew was unloaded, but had been loaded by one of the kids to maybe show one of his buddies, none the less, it was loaded when the father new it wasn't.

Be safe, and please assume nothing when it comes to the handling of a firearm.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 4:13 pm 
Longtime Regular

Excelent question. To give SW their due. They checked every gun when they took it off the wall. When they handed one to me, I checked it again. The gentlemen down the counter from me did the same, so I was fairly confident they were unloaded. They just practiced really lousy muzzle control.

I do appreciate your point, it is a very good one and can not be over stressed.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.