Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:42 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 
 Shot himself in the hand while "cleaning" his gun 
 Post subject: Shot himself in the hand while "cleaning" his gun
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 10:16 am 
Longtime Regular

Below is an e-mail from the founder of USCCA

USCCA E-mail Report - "A Great (But Scary!) Story"

Dear XXXX,

I'm sorry that is has been so long since my last USCCA
report. It has been over TWO months! I'll do better in the future, I promise.

Here is an unbelievalbe story that will shock you. I admire this guy for having the guts to tell it...

*** START ***

Well....I've always heard it's not a matter of "if, but "when".

My number came up and I paid a hefty price. Last Friday I was preparing to go shooting the next AM with a buddy of mine.I had just put a new a-grip on my Glock, and was going to clean it after my wife and I finished our movie. Crash is an awsome movie BTW. I put the weapon back together and inserted the mag. I did not pipe a round because I knew I was going to strip it later. I went upstairs and put the weapon in the tool box in the garage.

About and hour later (mid-night or so), I returned to the garage to finish cleaning and getting gear together for the morning. I picked up the Glock, dropped the mag and prepared to remove the slide. I done this literally thousands of times in the last fifteen years, but this times things were a little different. I grabbed the slide getting ready to push the take own pins and pulled the trigger......BANG!!!!!

Apparently I DID pipe a round an hour prior. My shooting bud attributes it to force of habit, but why the hell didn't I check the chamber before pulling the trigger? Should that be force of habit too? Not only did I set off a .45 in my garage, but it passed right through my left hand......Yep....I *******ing shot
myself point blank. I'm still having a hard time getting my head around what I did. I was SO angry at myself.

I have always been uber safe with any firearm, but one lack of procedure changed everything. I'm really taking this hard, and all the "it could have been worse", "accidents happen", and "thank god you didn't lose your hand statements really don't help. I guess I'm getting over it, but it still seems very surreal to me.

Here are details....I know you all are morbidly curious, and I don't mind telling...it's kinda like therapy for me. I DID NOT hear the shot (nor did my ears ring afterwards), and it felt sorta like
catching a fastball right in the palm of your glove. I have a very clear image, and suspect I always will, of the hole in my hand... perfect .45 diameter not bleeding....yet. I took a few seconds, and then the arterial arch in my palm cut loose. Blood like you wouldn't believe.

I think the fact that I was a Paramedic in a former life helped me out here. I walked into the laundry room and grabbed a towel to wrap it up, call up the stairs for my wife to come down. I remember thinking "if I go get her, I'll mess up the carpet on the stairs". No lie.

She came down half asleep and kind of grumpy, and I told her
"I just put a bullet in my hand". Said she was calling 911 and according to her I responded "That would be a good idea.." My wife is neo-natal RN, and can remain cool as a cucumber. This helped me out too I think.

I went back into the garage, put my blasted hand on the floor kneeling on the towel and proceeded to open my ever present jump-bag with the other.

I opened a US issue trauma dressing with my teeth, and proceeded to wrap my hand. Those dressing are the schiz nit by the way. My wife later told me it was very "Die-Haredesque"......I do remember cussing at myself the entire time...I have never been that angry before.....

Four cops, the shift sup., a pumper truck and an ambulance later I was off to the ER. I didn't feel any pain until I got in the ambulance. The endorphins shut down and it hurt like nothing you can imagine. No tickets from the cops, but did have to ask which weapon I did it with. My garage looks like an arsenal pre-range trip.

The bullet (a Black Talon no less..) shattered my ring finger meta-tarsal, and 'removed' two others. It destroyed the flexor tendon of my ring finger, almost separated my pinky tendon, and exited the right side of my wrist just above my watch band. There was a definite exit hole, but the blast force blew the side of my palm WIDE open about three inches in length. I didn't even see the exit wound until I removed my watch for the FD.

Anyway, nine hours of surgery, three screws, a tendon graft from my forearm and about two-hundred sutures later I was put back together. My surgeon said if anyone has to get shot in the hand, this was how to do it. No nerve damage....whew.

Physical therapy twice a week for God knows how long, and the surgeon expects at least 80% function back.

I've included a pic of the round. Snap-On tool boxes are quite literally bullet proof. The jacket separated from the slug when it hit the box, that's why the slug is flat on one side. If the mods permit, I'll post pics of my hand too.....it's pretty burly, and will drive the point home.

Thanks for listening. My wife thinks I'm crazy to post this, but it really does help me feel better. Remember....check the chamber twice, then check it again.

*** END ***

Wow. Never forget this one, guys.

WEEKLY TIP
This "tip" was sent in by Mr. Kieth Elder.

After reading the "sissy hands" gun talk today... and after I stoped laughing... I have come to the conclusion of , "Yes" I have the answer to your problem of grip... Sell that gun, it doesnt "fit you"! The first thing to consider when choosing a handgun is... "grip and fit" to your hand. When you pick it up off of the table... it has to feel natural to your hand like it belongs there... I dont use gadgets and gimmicks on my Beretta's... I just pick 'em up and off we go... Nothing else matters if it doesnt feel natural when you first pick it up. Hope this helps. Carry on, Keith

Thanks for the note Keith, now I feel like a sissy with
small hands! - Tim

Click below to read the "sissy hands" gun talk from the last e-mail report...

http://www.uscca.us/uscca_e-mail_report_-_9-09-05.html

FREEDOM ALERT
Can you believe those crazy folks in San Francisco? They've
just outlawed guns and ammo. Period.

Just like that. I wonder if they're going to have to go door
to door to confiscate the guns that are already there?

Can you imagine what it would be like to live in a city that
is prone to natural disasters (earthquakes?!), and NOT have
a gun in the house? Not being able to defend my wife and kids would make me sick to my stomach.

I wonder if they'll still deliver gun magazines to the poor souls in San Francisco.

GUN TALK
One of the writer's for Concealed Carry Magazine just did an article on a titanium framed Taurus revolver. I'm pretty sure it was chamberd for the .357 magnum. (It was George Hill for those of you who read the magazine.)

This article got me wondering a bit...

Have you by chance ever shot one of those guns? Seems to me that the recoil would be pretty rough. I'm really curious because the ultra-low weight looks really nice on paper!

If these guns are decent shooters, please let me know.

USCCA UPDATE
By December 9th, the USCCA website will be ready to take orders for the electronic and hard copy versions of "The First Two Year of Concealed Carry Magazine"!

We've got a whole bunch of the electronic versions (CDs) but the actual hard copy archives are in VERY short supply.

I'll continue to keep you up to date as to exactly when the archive products are ready to go! Thanks for your patience.

By the way, if you haven't joined the USCCA yet, why don't you come on over and join up? We're a good group of folks who have a lot in common. I'd love to have you as a member.

Here is the link:
http://www.uscca.us/membership.html

Shoot straight & be safe,

Tim Schmidt
Founder - USCCA
www.uscca.us
tim@uscca.us

P.S. - If you want to have access to the best source of information on carrying concealed weapons, check out our website www.uscca.us

P.P.S - Concealed Carry Magazine is our official publication. Join the USCCA today and get your full-color subscription to CCM. Check out our website at www.concealedcarrymag.com

Post subject: Re: Shot himself in the hand while "cleaning" his
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 11:17 am 
The Man

JDR wrote:

P.S. - If you want to have access to the best source of information on carrying concealed weapons, check out our website www.uscca.us

Is it just me, or is the Forum a much better source of information on the issue -- both MN-specific and generally?

If there's a wealth of information on their website, I'm missing it -- it's not a bad website, but it largely seems to be a list of links of their supporters and an advertising platform for their magazine.

I don't think there's anything wrong with that, mind, but I don't think it's a patch on, say, the rec.guns FAQ, when it comes to information.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Shot himself in the hand while "cleaning" his
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 11:38 am 
on probation

joelr wrote:
JDR wrote:

Is it just me, or is the Forum a much better source of information on the issue -- both MN-specific and generally?

If there's a wealth of information on their website, I'm missing it -- it's not a bad website, but it largely seems to be a list of links of their supporters and an advertising platform for their magazine.

I don't think there's anything wrong with that, mind, but I don't think it's a patch on, say, the rec.guns FAQ, when it comes to information.
There s alot of holes in this guy story. 1 is he said "I have a very clear image, and suspect I always will, of the hole in my hand... perfect .45 diameter not bleeding" Then as the story goes next "The bullet (a Black Talon no less..) shattered my ring finger meta-tarsal, and 'removed' two others. It destroyed the flexor tendon of my ring finger, almost separated my pinky tendon, and exited the right side of my wrist just above my watch band. There was a definite exit hole, but the blast force blew the side of my palm WIDE open about three inches in length. I didn't even see the exit wound until I removed my watch for the FD" I think this is BS. :roll:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 12:29 pm 
Longtime Regular

I'd like to know how he put his palm over the muzzle while also pulling down on the slide lock and pulling the trigger.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 12:57 pm 
Longtime Regular

Quote:
I'd like to know how he put his palm over the muzzle while also pulling down on the slide lock and pulling the trigger.

My guess? He put his hand on the front of the slide, palm over the muzzle, preparing to rack it back and pulled the trigger. Either that, or, as some have suggested, it's utter BS.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 11:12 pm 
Longtime Regular

Don’t know if it’s true or not. Just posted it because I thought it was interesting. I didn't mean to purposely create a link to his web site nor encourage anyone to go there or even sign up for his magazine, but felt compelled not to edit the e-mail.

I get the magazine and he has a few writers who do a great job. Some do a fantastic job. I get the impression that he is new at this magazine thing and I also get the impression that what he says might be true. This is mostly, because his previous comments in the past, seem down to earth and self-deprecating. He doesn’t appear to be the kind of person to tell tall tails, but then again you never know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 1:21 am 
Longtime Regular

Quote:
I have always been uber safe with any firearm, but one lack of procedure changed everything.

Wow. What a load of crap.

He wasn't almost uber safe; he was far from it.

He picked up a gun and pulled the trigger without clearing it, and he did it INTO HIS OWN FREAKIN' HAND!

For the record, it IS a matter of "if," not "when." I choose NO and NEVER.

Negligent discharges are 100% preventable, and it is irresponsible to suggest otherwise.

This guy blew it, big time. His tale of complacency and carelessness makes a good object lesson.

His saving grace is that he does seemingly describe his mistake honestly, not making up excuses (although I dispute his contention that he's otherwise safe).

Post subject: Glock
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 11:33 am 

I guess I tend to believe the story. To remove the slide on a Glock you do have to dry fire it. You then have to push the slide back a hair and then push the little button to release the slide. I can see someone pulling the trigger with their hand moving towards the muzzle in anticipation of the next step. I have also heard of a fair amount of people having accidental discharges late at night. I almost had one late at night, but the grip safety on my XD saved my butt. I try not to handle my guns as the night wears on. As I get closer to my bed time I don’t think as clearly as I like.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 5:05 pm 
Longtime Regular

Below is the latest from the founder of USCCA, apparently, he was not the one who shot himself. :) ...

<snip>

USCCA Weekly Report - "I Took a Liberal Shooting"

Dear So & So,

Before I launch into the "guts" of this month's report, I
want to thank everyone who e-mailed me regarding the ND
(Negligent Discharge) story.

However, this dreadful event didn't happen to ME! I thought
I made that clear in the last e-mail, but I guess I didn't.
I apologize for any misunderstanding!

Again, I really admire the fella who it did happen to, as it takes a lot of guts to admit to the whole world that you screwed up!

OK... here is the big story for this report!

Last week I took a LIBERAL to the shooting range! No, I
didn't take him to the range to shoot HIM. I took him to the range to go shooting with ME!

Don't worry! Your trusted friend, Tim (that's me), has not gone over to the dark side. The story is actually quite interesting.

About a month ago, I stumbled across an article that a journalist for the major Milwaukee newspaper had written regarding concealed carry.

Well, as you can imagine, this guy had written an article questioning why ANYONE would EVER want or NEED to carry a gun!!!

I just couldn't help myself. I started to type a well-worded, yet quite inflammatory e-mail to this "journalist" explaining to him exactly what I thought about what he had written...

Then I thought to myself, "Is this e-mail really going to convince this guy to my way of thinking?" Probably not.

I deleted all of my harsh words and instead asked him if
he'd be interested in going shooting with me! I honestly
didn't think I'd ever hear back from this guy.

I was wrong. About 2 days later, I got an e-mail back from him... He had accepted my offer.

So... we set up a "shooting date". He met me at my office
last week and we proceeded to spend an afternoon at my
shooting club.

You guys would have gotten a kick out of this. To say that
this guy had never even touched a gun before would be a
huge understatement.

The first thing I did was to slowly explain to him the four fundamentals of firearms safety. He seemed to understand the concepts pretty well, so we prepared to shoot.

We started with my Glock 21 (I wasn't going to let him touch
my Kimber!). We loaded up a few magazines and I walked him
to the 7 yard line. As I handed him the gun and the magazine, the look in on his face was priceless.

He managed to insert the magazine and successfully chamber
a round. As he gripped the gun, he kept wanting to cross his weak hand thumb behind his strong hand thumb. You know, RIGHT BEHIND THE SLIDE! I explained to him that the slide wouldn't care if his thumb was in the way... it would be coming
backward... really fast.

"Finally, he had a good grip and managed to squeeze off a few rounds. He was a little surprised with the recoil, but by the look in his eyes I could tell that he was pretty excited about the idea of shooting a gun.

We continued to shoot for awhile and he even managed to
group a few shots together!

Now, I don't think he joined the NRA or even the USCCA
later that night. But I do know one thing. By taking this
guy shooting, I opened his mind up to something that he'd
never known before.

Pretty good story, huh?"

<snip>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 5:39 pm 
Longtime Regular

It kind of makes one wonder whether or not many of these ardent anti-gun people have ever fired a gun. We all know the typical pro-gun arguments. Since the 60's, single parent families have become commonplace. Mostly, single mothers. A good percentage of single mothers neither have the time, money or inclination to take their kids shooting. (There always exceptions and I know a couple) I know I didn't get that luxury. Nor, was I ever taught, when I was young, much about guns. I kind of get the feeling that many of those from the left have just been "left out", pardon the pun. Then, they fall for the leftist propaganda and the horror stories about how evil guns are. Maybe doing things like this can start to change minds & attitudes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 6:32 pm 
Longtime Regular

BigRobT wrote:
It kind of makes one wonder whether or not many of these ardent anti-gun people have ever fired a gun. We all know the typical pro-gun arguments. Since the 60's, single parent families have become commonplace. Mostly, single mothers. A good percentage of single mothers neither have the time, money or inclination to take their kids shooting. (There always exceptions and I know a couple) I know I didn't get that luxury. Nor, was I ever taught, when I was young, much about guns. I kind of get the feeling that many of those from the left have just been "left out", pardon the pun. Then, they fall for the leftist propaganda and the horror stories about how evil guns are. Maybe doing things like this can start to change minds & attitudes.

I’d be willing to bet dollars to donuts that there are exactly three reasons for the hysteria over “concealed and carry laws”

They are afraid of what they don’t know.

Don’t trust themselves, let alone other people to do the right thing.

FEEL about issues instead of using commonsense (logic).

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.