Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:05 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ] 
 Favorite gun cleaning stuff? 
 Post subject: Favorite gun cleaning stuff?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:45 am 
Forum Moderator

Thusfar I've been happiest with Hoppe's spray Bore Solvent. It seems to do a good job at stripping off fouling without a lot of scrubbing, and most importantly, it seems to evaporate cleanly without leaving an oily residue. It does have a fairly chemically smell.

I used some Outers spray stuff last night (ran out of the Hoppes) and while it seems to clean about as well as the Hoppes, it leaves an oily residue behind, and it has a strong odor that doesn't dissipate over time. Remington BriteBore seems to clean OK (more scrubbing required), but seems to leave less residue, and the smell is less long-lasting and noxious than the Outers.

I use Breakfree CLP for a lubricant. It works as a cleaner, too, but is far too oily as a primary cleaning agent.

I really need to get around to cleaning my shotgun and chockes one of these days, but I put it off since the last time I did it it required some major scrubbing power to get what looks like plastic wadding residue off. I'm kind of tempted to use some automotive brake cleaner on at least the chokes, if not the barrel as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:10 pm 
Longtime Regular

Cheapo orange cleaner from Menard's. Not too stinky, not too toxic, and cleans the fouling quite well.

Cheap, too!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 3:02 pm 

I've been using MPro-7 for the last few years. I actually started carrying it when I couldn't find it locally. It's non-toxic, and has no smell, so I don't get that "solvent smell" in the basement. I only shoot jacketed ammo, so I don't know how it does with lead. It has a "soapy water" feel to it, and dries right away. Some folks have said that they thought it didn't clean as well as Hoppes, and yet I've talked to others who like it as well as I do. It's like the oil we choose for our cars. There's a zillion choices, all of them right!

Don

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 3:34 pm 
Forum Moderator

DonL wrote:
I've been using MPro-7 for the last few years. I actually started carrying it when I couldn't find it locally. It's non-toxic, and has no smell, so I don't get that "solvent smell" in the basement. I only shoot jacketed ammo, so I don't know how it does with lead. It has a "soapy water" feel to it, and dries right away. Some folks have said that they thought it didn't clean as well as Hoppes, and yet I've talked to others who like it as well as I do. It's like the oil we choose for our cars. There's a zillion choices, all of them right!
Don

I'd be leary of cleaning agents that are water based, since cleaning the frames on autos inevitably involves some of the stuff getting into places I'd rather not have to take apart to clean/wipe/dry, and I'd hate to think I'm getting water into trigger groups or mainsprings or their linkages.

I guess I like a cleaning agent that dissolves fouling but dries "clean" without any residue, and that's hard to do with out VOCs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 3:55 pm 
Longtime Regular

Boring guy here.
I use Outers Nitro solvent, and I also have a jar of Hoppes #9 (I think that's the number) because I like the wide mouth on the jar for dipping my slide and bore brushes. Plus, I really like the smell.
I use Outers gun oil, and I also have a sample of Miltec oil and grease from when they were giving them away a little while back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 2:46 am 
Longtime Regular

I have a old Fischer peanut jar, filled with half mineral spirits and half Hoppe's #9. I just take the barrel off the gun I just fired, and leave it to soak overnight or longer. Gets most of the gunk out. For the rest of the gun, I just wipe off the stripped parts with a cloth damp with some Hoppe's, paying particular attention to the breech face. When the barrel comes out, one pass with a boresnake, then a white patch to be sure it's clean. If not, a couple of cycles with wet (Hoppe's again) and dry patches.

If it's a fixed-barrel gun, then I boresnake it first, to get the worst out, the the wet-dry cycle. After several cycles, I use a bore mop instead of dry patches.

I lube on re-assembly, usually just a quick squirt of spray oil down the barrel.

The orange solvent's a good idea, though. Maybe I'll put a little in my peanut-jar mix.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:34 am 
Journeyman Member

3/4s Shooters Choice and 1/4 Kroil. If i feel the need for any extra lubrication i'll give it a blast of Ballistol.

Over the years i've used just about everything from the milsurp stuff to the new foams. None seem to get the job done as well as the above.
YMMV.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 12:06 am 
Forum Moderator

Ed's Red every time. I make it up both with and without the acitone and with and without the lanolin.

It works great and it's cheap.

http://www.building-tux.com/dsmjd/tech/eds_red.htm

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 12:56 pm 
Longtime Regular

I LOVE the smell of the solvents, especially Outer's. No kidding. One of my favorite things to do is to clean my guns. I joke that I shoot them just to have an excuse to clean them.

In fact, here's the opening paragraph on "Cleaning and maintenance" from my book, "Handgun Basics":

"Many people find cleaning a gun to be a pleasurable interlude, with the warm, gleaming metal in their hands, surrounded by the familiar fragrance of Outers, Shooter’s Choice, or Hoppe’s No. 9 solvent, reminding them of childhood and times spent after hunting, plinking, or target shooting. To others it can be a nasty business, an unpleasant chore like taking the garbage out on a cold night. . ."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 3:30 pm 
Longtime Regular

I read that somewhere too. I do like the smell of the Hoppes #9.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 4:05 pm 
Longtime Regular

I don't like the smell of copper removers, though. Stinky.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 12:45 am 
Longtime Regular

Greg wrote:
Ed's Red every time. I make it up both with and without the acitone and with and without the lanolin.

What's your local source for lanolin?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 11:31 am 
Forum Moderator

chunkstyle wrote:
Greg wrote:

What's your local source for lanolin?

My brother up in St. Cloud gets it for me, I'll check with him and post it.

Greg

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 7:20 am 
Longtime Regular

For really dirty jobs I like to use some compressed air, 30 psi max, with the cleaner. Works well in those hard to reach places.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 10:09 am 
Longtime Regular

matt160 wrote:
For really dirty jobs I like to use some compressed air, 30 psi max, with the cleaner. Works well in those hard to reach places.

In some places you can use a Q-tip with one end cut off at an angle with fingernail clippers.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.