Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:14 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 What does your family think? 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 4:17 pm 

I think it's important that if people who are close to you know you carry that you have the following conversation:
This is a private matter , not to be discussed w/anyone or blirted out under any conditions.Lets say we are at the convenience store trying to decide what snacks to buy and someone comes in w/a gun to rob the store.Spouse or kid says loudly "you've got a gun.
,do something" bad guy then immediately shoots you first.
I have had this talk with my wife and kids,I don't know if it could ever happen, but just in case,I want them to comprehend the need to keep quiet.
Most of my family know about my gun habit,but only my wife,daughter,and my mom[pity me I live w/3 generations of women]know that I carry pretty much all the time.
My wife used to complain about the untucked shirt,but there was an occasion when a really creepy,threatening guy came up to us as we were walking on Lake and Lyndale. Nothing happened,but we were both glad I was carrying.Now she just assumes I am carrying all the time and is comforted and says it makes her feel safe[my daughter says the same thing,she is 14].

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 6:12 pm 
Longtime Regular

wife - Favorable towards carry, but not to the point where she will do it herself. She bought me an M4 for my last birthday.
oldest son - Pro-carry but not interested in other uses for guns, such as hunting.
youngest son - Pro-carry, loves to shoot, is my main hunting partner.

Mother - Would be frightened if she knew I carry. Irony is that all four of her boys carry and she doesn't know it.
Father - Deceased but is the one who made me the gun nut I am today.
Wife's Parents - Guns kill people, but they want people to hunt on their land and eradicate those deer that they hate so much. They know I carry but don't hassle me about it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 8:23 pm 
Journeyman Member

So, most of you have people who's attitudes have not changed much over the years. I'm sort of still in awe about my mom's total change of heart.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 11:21 pm 
Longtime Regular

dcwn.45 wrote:
......This is a private matter , not to be discussed w/anyone or blirted out under any conditions.Lets say we are at the convenience store trying to decide what snacks to buy and someone comes in w/a gun to rob the store.Spouse or kid says loudly "you've got a gun......

dcwn.45; I agree with you hole hardly.

I have friends that know I carry. My biggest fear, is that while we are out, and some s*#t happens; one of them says exactly that (or something similar). I have told them that I carry concealed, for a reason. That I do not exposes the fact that I have a handgun, and they should not, as well. :?

BUT, I can just see, under pressure, in a difficult situation they would exclaim, “He (pointing to me) has a gun and you better not mess around with us”. :(

If anyone has a solution to this possible scenario, I would appreciate feedback. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 1:09 am 
Longtime Regular

JDR wrote:
I have friends that know I carry. My biggest fear, is that while we are out, and some s*#t happens; one of them says exactly that (or something similar). I have told them that I carry concealed, for a reason. That I do not exposes the fact that I have a handgun, and they should not, as well. :?

BUT, I can just see, under pressure, in a difficult situation they would exclaim, “He (pointing to me) has a gun and you better not mess around with us”. :(

If anyone has a solution to this possible scenario, I would appreciate feedback. :roll:

Well, John Farnam says: "Don't hang around with stupid people. Don't go to stupid places. Don't do stupid things."

Hope that helps. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 2:11 pm 
Longtime Regular

Andrew Rothman wrote:

Well, John Farnam says: "Don't hang around with stupid people. Don't go to stupid places. Don't do stupid things."

Hope that helps. :)

He, he, he. Good! :lol:

Thanks, I think I will include John's quote in my little” class”. :wink:

I can’t wait for them to “hear” someone thinks they are “stupid”. There reaction will be uh, interesting. :roll: :roll:

I have approximately 18 people that my wife and I “hang out” with, a lot. I have not spent any time "instructing" them that they should not “out-me”, but intend to do so. :oops:

Up tell now, they have all become very comfortable with the fact that I carry everywhere. :)

I guess now's the time to tell them the consequences of outing me, in a disastrous situation. :wink:

In thinking about this little problem further, It just seems awkward to put on a “class”, maybe I’ll just kind of pass the word around individual to individual. :?

And in further reflection, calling them “stupid”, just because they are not familiar with proper “gun protocol” would be detrimental to my needs. :!:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:00 am 

Lets run through the list:

Deceased grandparents: Probably wouldn't have cared. She used to make bars for when my friends and I came out to their farm to go shooting. He gave me my first gun, which I still have and will not part with.

Other Grandparents: Live in Jersey, she wouldn't remember very long if she did know :( , he might not like it.

Mother: Was mildly anti-gun until several years ago she asked if she could go out shooting with me (we were at grandparents farm for Mother's Day). As all mine were too large, I bought her a small revolver for Xmas/birthday that year. When the Shall Issue bill passed the first time, she ask me if I thought she should Post her business. I told her that it was up to her but I would no longer help any around there if she did. That was the end of that. 8)

Father: Been shooting for longer than I've been around. We took the carry class together for the shall issue permit. I think it was a little confusing to the instructor, two students with the same name, one using a 1911 and the other with a makarov. :D

Brother: Has/had a Texas carry permit when he was stationed at Hood. Don't know if Dad knew or not. As he's currently in Kuwait he's carrying all the time.

Other Brother: Not old enough to get a permit yet. Currently between Basic and AIT due to bureaucratic screwup. Likely will get a permit once he's old enough and has a permanent duty station.

Girlfriend: Knows and is neutral towards me carrying (thinks nothing will happen....). Sometimes thinks about getting a permit. Has a psycho ex-husband with joint custody of their children.

Girlfriend's children: Both girls know that there are firearms in the house. The older girl (15yrs) might suspect but has never asked. The younger one (10yrs) doesn't know. I don't wish to discuss it with them incase the fact slips out when they are at their father's house.

Co-workers: Close friends at my previous employer knew but no one at my current job knows.

edited to add: I must be feeling verbose huh?

Steelheart

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.