Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:45 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Article on CCW in Butte County, CA 
 Post subject: Article on CCW in Butte County, CA
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:17 am 
Forum Moderator/<br>AV Geek

Long and wandering, can't really tell what the point of the article is. Probably what I would've wrote (wanderer), but more of a left leaning slant.

If nothing else, read the first part. Specifically regarding the class.

http://www.newsreview.com/issues/chico/ ... /cover.asp

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:05 am 
Longtime Regular

Well written article, even though it does have a significantly left-winged slant. It adresses some of the things I feel when carrying. I do think he needs to revisit & analyze a few things.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:51 am 
Longtime Regular

That was an odd article.

Appears to be written by a person who is mostly mocking the right to carry.

Note the description of the instructors and their examination techniques, in administering the “test”.

In addition, this quote is about as biased as it comes.

“the National Rifle Association giving almost $1 million a year, mostly to Republicans. While gun control groups such as the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence are relentlessly attacked in the pro-gun press, their influence on candidates seems negligible compared to the juggernaut of conservative cash and propaganda coming from the gun-totin' right.”

Long, rambling and torturous to read. I doubt this is from a well know writer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:08 am 
Longtime Regular

I just finished reading the article. I can't help but thinking the training (read: lack of) provided by his "instructor" ended up contributing to his negative attitudes about carrying. It's really too bad. Almost every issue he brought up in a negative light was covered and explained in the training I took, including how to carry and when it is permissible to use.

A missed chance to convert a fence sitter, thanks to a bad trainer. I certainly don't want the gub'ment involved in training standards any more than necessary, but training like this, I think, is more harmful to the cause than not.

Instructors on the forum: What do you think about this? What can be done to ensure high quality training across the board? It seems to me that this relates in part to the conversations here regarding certifying associations/complaints/accountability. Any thoughts?

"Build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a night. Set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life." ~ unknown

Never been tazered. (yet).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 5:58 pm 

I sent the writer an e-mail suggesting he get better training.Reading that makes me want to redouble my efforts to be a good trainer,holy crap.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 6:00 pm 
Journeyman Member

My thoughts are similar to Aquaholics, and I couldn't help but to reply to Josh Indar directly, and hope that he seeks more training before making some poor decisions. The text of my note is attached below, beginning with his reply:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks Andre,
I appreciate the feedback.
-JI

At 05:22 PM 12/5/2005 -0600, you wrote:

Dear Mr. Inglar:

I have just read your recent article, and can't help but make a few comments. You have most of the arguments for Carrying a Concealed Weapon listed in your work, with varying conclusions. I am in agreement with many, and find fault with many, but I see your piece as an honest reaction to your experience. Let me, by way of introduction, explain to you that I do carry most of the time, and do not consider myself to be part of the redneck fringe you mention. I am a business executive with an income and lifestyle significantly above average, and live in a quiet pastoral area west of Minneapolis. My commitment to self-defense is an acknowledgement that we are not guaranteed safety, and that I cannot reliably predict when the next "random act of violence' will occur. I have experienced a break-in and robbery in my own home. The police have a though job to do, and it is actually not to protect you and I. It is to investigate crimes and apprehend criminals after the offense has occurred. You have a choice to either prepare yourself for an eventuality you find unacceptable, or to ignore it and hope it will go away. I'm sure you have smoke alarms in your home, air-bags and seat belts in your car, and insurance to cover any losses, and yet you don't expect a fire or drive in such a manner as to cause an accident. Same thing here with personal protection.

I believe you were done a disservice by the lackadaisical attitude of the individuals involved in your "training" and licensing. You would not have suffered from such a dearth of information and training had you been able to attend any of the required courses here in Minnesota, and available in many other states. If you do choose to continue to carry, may I recommend that you read a copy of "Everything You Need to Know About (Legally) Carrying a Handgun in Minnesota, by Joel Rosenberg, and published by the American Association of Certified Firearms Instructors. This may fill in some of the elements which were unfortunately lacking in your experience to-date. The additional knowledge will better equip you to make some fairly serious personal decisions.

You may also be interested in viewing a forum thread discussing your article at the attached link:
http://www.twincitiescarry.com/forum/vi ... .php?t=551

I wish you good luck in your future writings, and hope that your firearms experience can continue in a more positive vein.

Best regards,
Andre P. Decarie

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 6:52 pm 
Longtime Regular

Well said !!! I considered emailing him myself, but in the heat of disappointment & disbelief of some of his rhetoric, I felt I would have been too harsh on him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 6:56 pm 
Longtime Regular

It reads to me like a confused opinion piece in the garb of false objectivity.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 6:58 pm 

my letter and his reply.....[I may have been too nice, but oh well]
Thanks David,
I am somewhat godless but I hate Commies too.
-JI
At 05:57 PM 12/5/2005 -0600, you wrote:

I read your article,and commend you for a mostly fair and seemingly unbiased article.I suggest you get a higher level of training,it saddens me to hear that your training was so poor.I am a firearms instructor in Mn.,I have had much training,and I suggest you contact Front Sight in Nevada,they may have a course offerring that is free to media types and I can attest thay their training is very good.
Thank you for your open mind,we gun people aren't all redneck wacko's,and I'm sure you libs aren't all godless commies.
Keep your sense of humor about these things,

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.