Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:41 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 
 Jesse James I'm not, but..... 
 Post subject: Jesse James I'm not, but.....
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:35 pm 
Longtime Regular

Has anybody here ever engaged in, or even been interested in, cowboy action shooting?

I just joined the National Congress of Old West Shootists, and I'm hoping that, some day, there will be a Minnesota "posse."

The requirements are faily simple--handgun, rifle and (usually) shotgun appropriate to the Wild West era. Of course, period clothing and an alias.

I'm going to my gunshop of choice Friday to pick up a single action revolver, then I'll start saving for the rifle.

Just wondering if anybody here is interested or has ever been interested in such a fun waste of time and money.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:39 pm 
Forum Moderator

Just another excuse to buy a new gun :)

One of those is on my "list" also...they are just TDF to shoot.

Now, about a good moniker for the Old Dude ............. :?:

Contact us to schedule a class for you and your friends, and check our website for more information http://shootingsafely.com

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:45 pm 
Longtime Regular

My brother participates in a posse in WY. Has a blast and kinda gave me a bug for it. I would be interested if a group ever formed.

That is all....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:47 pm 
Longtime Regular

Already got my alias, phorvick, and it's one I think you'll like...

Pettifoggin' Pete

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:52 pm 
Forum Moderator

Old Dude wrote:
Already got my alias, phorvick, and it's one I think you'll like...

Pettifoggin' Pete
Hmmm ... has a certain cachet to it! Send me a link to that organization...sounds f un...and an excuse to get more stuff!

Contact us to schedule a class for you and your friends, and check our website for more information http://shootingsafely.com

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:58 pm 
Longtime Regular

[url]ncows.org[/url]

That's the smaller of the two organizations.

[url]sassnet.com[/url] is the Single Action Shooting Society--the largest organization of cowboy shooters.

There are differences between the two. NCOWS tends to be a bit more "fundamentalist" as far as authenticity goes.

Post subject: Re: Jesse James I'm not, but.....
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:51 pm 
Longtime Regular

Old Dude wrote:
Has anybody here ever engaged in, or even been interested in, cowboy action shooting?

I just joined the National Congress of Old West Shootists, and I'm hoping that, some day, there will be a Minnesota "posse."

The requirements are faily simple--handgun, rifle and (usually) shotgun appropriate to the Wild West era. Of course, period clothing and an alias.

I'm going to my gunshop of choice Friday to pick up a single action revolver, then I'll start saving for the rifle.

Just wondering if anybody here is interested or has ever been interested in such a fun waste of time and money.

I have an AWA Richards reproduction of a Colt model 1861, Navy (.38 Special), with a nice, (locally) hand made western style holster, that rides low on my hip there, partner. :wink:

So, I guess I still need a rifle and a shotgun.

A long time ago in California, I had just joined a group of black powder shooters. However, before I could get “geared up” I ended up moving away to another distant city.

They were a cool group to be part of. They would put on “cowboy” shows for county fairs and others gatherings. They would perform shoot-em-up skits, gunfights and the like.

It would start out with the admonishment to the crowd not to pick up a dropped weapon. They would explain that even with blank black-powder cartages, the guns were very dangerous. This message would be driven home by a demonstration from one of the characters with a shotgun. He would align himself a few feet from a tin can. Aim and fire the shotgun. The can would go blasting into the air with gusto. He then would go over and pick up the tin can and show it to the crowd, for all to see the large damage the can had sustained. Then the show would begin.

Damn, I wish I hadn’t moved. :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:15 pm 
Longtime Regular

This dog walks into a saloon, limping on a bandaged foot. As the saloon doors stop swinging, he scans the crowd that fell silent as he entered.

In a low growl, he says.....

"I'm a lookin' for the man that shot my Paw."....

:lol: :lol: :lol:

"Build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a night. Set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life." ~ unknown

Never been tazered. (yet).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 2:26 am 
Longtime Regular

It'd pay big dividends later, if you got started on handloading early. Ammo like .45LC and .45-70 ain't cheap for factory loads, but is cheap and easy to reload!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 1:49 pm 
Longtime Regular

Wana have some REAL Fun?

There is a mounted Cowboy Action shooting. Where you ride around and shoot at ballons in a COF. That gets interesting, but in the REALLY Fun range is the Texas Ranger class whereby you are required to shoot from a horse which is jumping over an obstical. The ranger class carries 2 45 LC pistols, Repoduction Rifle, and Repo Shotgun.

You can spend OH so much money on this stuff.

Mostly-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 2:37 pm 
Longtime Regular

My last experience with horses (over 43 years ago) left the horse traumatized for life, and wasn't much better for me! :o

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.