Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu May 23, 2024 3:40 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ] 
 Car safe 
 Post subject: Car safe
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 7:53 pm 
On time out

I am looking for getting a gun safe for my vehicle, as i would really like to have it with me in the car when i am at work as i am not allowed to carry at work but there are times i may need to have it with me for work <lol>
(I am certified Armed for my job but if i am not at an armed account i cant carry it )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 8:39 pm 

I use one of the Center of Mass "medium" safes for my Glock 23.

http://www.center-of-mass.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:36 am 

I too have the center of mass for my G27, I got the larger one and I can easily fit it and 2 mags in it.

Jon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:55 am 
On time out

Ihave been looking at them and wasnt sure ;) so after two positive feedbacks i think i will order one.

Post subject: A little more expensive, but very heavy duty.
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:06 am 

http://handgunsafe.com/4811s.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:22 am 
Longtime Regular

I have the COM safe mentioned and like it. It's not going to stop a determined thief with time nor is it going to remain in the car if they brought tools. But it will resist snatch and grabs and meets the criteria of being inaccessible to others in the car without permits. It's also easy to slip under a seat.

Post subject: Re: A little more expensive, but very heavy duty.
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:32 pm 
Longtime Regular

I have one of their safes - and I very much like it, but the OP was asking for something that was removable.

A bit of advice should you decide to have a safe permanently mounted in your car. The guys who have the most experience at fitting oddly shaped boxes into cars are the car audio installers.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:52 pm 

I think the COM guy is in Bloomington or Eagan someplace. I sent a message to him a few months ago and he seemed very willing to let a potential customer stop by an take a look at them. I'm pretty sure he runs the business out of his house.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:25 pm 

I've got two of the larger COM units. I can get a G19 in a kydex comptac IWB holster and an extra magazine into the large one. Bill's has them in stock usually. Around $34.00. Robbinsdale store had a better stock of them than the north store, but it's been at least six months since I've looked for them at either place. If you stop by a local gun show, there's usually someone selling them as well. Note that although they all appear to be from COM in minnesota, there's a carry course / gun safety company that sells them locally at gun shows and online under a different trademark. Can't remember the name but they are identical.

One more thing. These work great for other places besides the car. You can take it with you for airline approved storage if needed. Plus, if you stay in a hotel or even overnight at a friends house, you can use it to lock your gun away if you want to. It's much better than just stuffing the gun into a suitcase while in a hotel if for some reason you have to leave the gun or other valuables in your room. Just wrap the cable around any immovable object's post.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:45 pm 
On time out

I had checkpoint welding on north second street make mine, it fits in the console of the vehicle and it works great. I think i paid 60 bucks to have it welded up out of .250 abrasion resistant crmo. I made the model out of cardboard of what would fit and they just tig'd it together.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:19 am 
Longtime Regular

1911fan wrote:
I think i paid 60 bucks to have it welded up out of .250 abrasion resistant crmo.

chronic recurrent multifocal osteomyelitis?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:01 am 
Longtime Regular

jdege wrote:
1911fan wrote:
I think i paid 60 bucks to have it welded up out of .250 abrasion resistant crmo.

chronic recurrent multifocal osteomyelitis?

The shift key can help...CrMo. Not really acronyms, but I think this site needs a direct link out to a variety of <a href="http://www.acronymfinder.com/">acronym</a> <a href="http://acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/">server</a> <a href="http://www.all-acronyms.com/">sites</a>. :D

I've got a few COM boxes. My truck is a model that they make <a href="http://www.center-of-mass.com/Store_ConsoleVault.htm">console vaults</a> for, but that solution is pretty pricey. It was much more cost effective to pick up a set of 2 medium and 1 large COM boxes all with matched lock sets. So I have one for each vehicle and a third for travel or whatever use might come to mind, and they all use the same key. If you wanted more, keyed alike, he'll make them for you that way.

They aren't fort knox, but they get the job done. You can cable lock them to something or even screw/bolt them down if you're so inclined and have a good location that has room for the lid to swing open.

FWIW, you can squeeze a 38 snubbie and a Kahr PM9 into a medium if you really needed to without holsters/spare mags/speed loaders. The large will hold the two guns and the reloads.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 3:34 am 
On time out

http://www.tasteel.com/creusabro4000.htm

this type of steel is nearly impossible to drill without a drill press and it will eat just about any kind of sawzall blade.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.