Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:12 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
 GIFTS FOR GUNS 
 Post subject: GIFTS FOR GUNS
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 4:53 pm 
Longtime Regular

From The Compton, Calif., Press Telegram;

"Compton turns in its guns more than 100

By Samantha Gonzaga, Staff writer

COMPTON — They came from Compton and neighboring cities: women with their ex-boyfriends' weapons, residents who felt their old guns would find a home in the hands of a burglar, and young men planning to start anew.

Sheriff's deputies from the Compton Station collected more than 100 firearms Saturday in "Gifts for Guns" at the Compton Towne Center. The program encouraged gunowners to anonymously drop off their firearms — no questions asked — in exchange for $100 gift certificates at Circuit City, Toys R Us and Ralph's.

"We have a variety of weapons here today that could hurt people, but are now off the streets," said sheriff's Capt. Eric Hamilton. "We are very blessed today."
By noon, the gift certificates had run out, but the stream of people had not.

"I think this particular event has been successful because of the events that have occurred here in Compton," Hamilton said. "And people are responding to that."
The city's homicide rate is the highest in Los Angeles County, which authorities attribute to the increase of gang-related crimes. There have been 66 killings this year, compared with last year's 39.
Harry McCall, 45, dropped off a .22-mm rifle and a .7-mm handgun.
"I'm doing it for my homeboy, (Stanley) Tookie (Williams)," he said. "May he rest in peace."
The Los Angeles resident

Advertisement

said he knew the 51-year-old co-founder of the Crips street gang when he "was first coming up."
Williams, a San Quentin State Prison deathrow inmate, was convicted for the 1979 murders of 7-11 Whittier store clerk Albert Owens, 26; and Los Angeles motel owners Yen-I Yang, 76, Tsai-Shai Chen Yang, 63, and their daughter Yu-Chin Yang Lin, 43. Williams died of lethal injection early Tuesday.
Hamilton said he hopes the "Gifts for Guns" program would become a mainstay in the city. This year the City Council allocated $9,800 to make Sunday's event possible, while the station raised about $5,000. Hamilton said the program is in need of sponsors."

According to sheriff's Capt. Eric Hamilton. "We are very blessed today". :oops:

The apparent highlight of the day was Harry McCall's turning in a ".22 mm" rifle and a ".7 mm" handgun. He did it for :"My homeboy, Tookie". :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 12:00 pm 
Longtime Regular

When are they going to learn that guns for anything schemes just don't do any real good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 12:04 pm 
Longtime Regular

I want that .7mm handgun, but I'll bet I have some trouble getting ammunition for it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 1:41 pm 
Longtime Regular

Hey! One could make some money at this game... Old Piece O Crap gun for $100 bucks... When is this coming to a neighborhood near you? I have a few old pieces of junk, pick up a couple more and I could have enough to buy me a BRAND new GAT! :lol: Convert the gift certs to cash, and off to Cabelas I go!

Mostly-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 4:44 pm 
Longtime Regular

When I read Gifts for guns, I immediately thought, "Well, I dunno -- maybe some yummy ammo or a nice warm gun rug?"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 5:01 pm 
Forum Moderator/<br>AV Geek

Something else that I don't think was brought up on our last discussion about turning guns in: Does this type of program encourage theft? If I see "$100 for a gun, no questions asked", I might think, "hey, I know where I can steal me some guns." Quickest fencing operation ever created, and it's legal.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 7:36 pm 
Longtime Regular

I just thought it interesting that a”.22-mm rifle and a .7-mm handgun” were turned in.
I’ve been looking all over the net to purchase one of each, but no luck. I figured they would be perfect pieces for my collection. :wink:

Post subject: Buy Back
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 8:08 pm 
on probation

Ok Koscielski's Guns and Ammo will be buying guns back for 50.00 ea. Only real guns may apply. Up to Dec. 24th. :roll: :roll: :roll: :shock:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Buy Back
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 8:23 pm 
Longtime Regular

lastgunshop wrote:
Ok Koscielski's Guns and Ammo will be buying guns back for 50.00 ea. Only real guns may apply. Up to Dec. 24th. :roll: :roll: :roll: :shock:

Mark, if you get one of these, ("22-mm rifle and a .7-mm handgun") will you let me know?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 8:51 pm 
on probation

JDR wrote:
lastgunshop wrote:

Mark, if you get one of these, ("22-mm rifle and a .7-mm handgun") will you let me know?
Sure :roll:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 4:14 am 
Longtime Regular

lastgunshop wrote:
Ok Koscielski's Guns and Ammo will be buying guns back for 50.00 ea. Only real guns may apply. Up to Dec. 24th.

Mark, you should put a sign up in your window...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 10:43 am 

I would like to see this come to an area near me, I have a few old clunkers that I have been saving for just such an occassion. An old inoperative bolt 20ga,Jennings .380 with a cracked frame if you can imagine one of these ever breaking, etc etc.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.