Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:50 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 The internet and opinions (a rant) 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 8:58 am 
Forum Moderator

W0THK wrote:
I think that the key is to "consider the source" when reading opinions. If the source is the editor of a respected magazine, chances are his opinion are more valuable than the disgruntled user with an axe to grind. Most are probably somewhere in between. But that's just MY opinion!

The problem with gun magazines is that you seldom get a bad review, and even when they mention negatives they often gloss over them. A crank (or a series of cranks) may actually be willing to provide a "real world" truth about a firearm vs. the cherry-picked sample known to work with the writer's favorite ammo.

Old Dude wrote:
When I read reviews at, say, Amazon.com, I always read the negative reviews first. What is it that people don't like about it? Is there a pattern to their dislike? Are the problems they encounter something that is likely to matter to me?

Only afterwards do I read the positive reviews.

This is a good tactic. I think it's best not to think of individual opinions on the internet, but to look at both the quantity and any recurring likes or dislikes about a specific product. It also helps to think critically about what the complaints are -- there may be a lot of complaints about a trivial aspect of something, while the main features may be OK (eg, Glocks are ugly). Conversely there may also be complaints about things that seem trivial but turn out to be important later on.

And sometimes it's important to measure what I call "the inverse bitch factor" -- things that generally work well don't generate complaints, and few people take the time to go online and write glowing reviews -- they're too busy shooting!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 2:02 pm 
Site Admin

mobocracy wrote:
The problem with gun magazines is that you seldom get a bad review,
That applies to any advertising-supported magazine. You eventually learn to read their code, then you know which reviews are damning with faint praise.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 12:30 am 

lastgunshop wrote:
APD wrote:
goalie wrote:
I'm glad I didn't listen to the naysayers in regards to the Kel-tec P3AT. I waited until they were out a while and got one. It is light, thin, easy to carry, and has gone 350 rounds without a hiccup. :wink:

Goalie, what are you using for ammo? That's better reliability than I'm getting with mine.
Try Hydra-Shock or Gold Dot. Works good for me.

Well, me personally, I'm shooting FMJ ball ammo out of my P3AT. I want penetration to reach vitals. Period. That said, I don't carry it all that much.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 2:01 pm 

I use the Internet for a LOT of my shopping and subsequently for research about the particular want or need I'm trying to fulfill. My approach is certainly to look at fan forums, Yahoo groups, etc. to find out what's available and which are considered the top of the line and which are the bargain basement choices and then to reason it out from there.

Then the work begins. Sorting through the "they're total crap" and "they're super-awesome" posts usually result in a trend toward "this one needs a couple of tweaks, but then works about as well as the really expensive one" or "the really expensive one is the only one which has all the function and features, even after tweaking the other one".

That's when you have to make your own decision. Is tweaking the cheaper model worth your time? Is paying someone to tweak the cheaper model worth it? Is the expensive model that much better? Will I use all the extra features I get with the expensive model? Are the complaints about a cetain model relevant to you? Is the praise for a certain model relevant?

It can be frustrating, in the extreme, when you get equal numbers of "Get this one!" or "Get that one!" responses with no reason or explanation...

Dirk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 7:21 pm 
Journeyman Member

I made the decision I was having trouble with that started this thread. Funny thing is, I got something I totally had not planned on, a G27. I had shot my friends G30 (maybe G33....baby glock in .357sig). I liked it fairly well, and then I found a great deal on this one "used" (you'd never know it was used looking at it).

It conceals well (just tried around the house since I have no permit yet), and feels comfortable. It is far harder to shoot than my P95, but not uncontrollable...I just need to learn it. I put about 200 through it tonight and it did quite well. I need to work on the adjustable sights a little more...

Overall, I'm very happy with it. Hopefully the next purchase works out this well.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.