Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:43 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 
 Interesting revolver malfunction 
 Post subject: Interesting revolver malfunction
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 9:14 pm 
Longtime Regular

Ha! Thought that would get some attention.

Anyway, this is really just a continuation of the reloading thread, which had turned to, among other things, getting rid of an unwanted seated primer.

When I first started reloading, I did a dumb thing and seated some primers before sizing the cases, which were .45 Colt in this case. Don't feel bad, Old Dude, because it took me quite a while before I thought of just putting them in my Uberti SAA and firing them.

Whereupon I experienced a jam, of all things. Making a long story short, it was just that the primer, after firing, bulged out of the case far enough to engage parts of the recoil shield. This does not happen ordinarily, because the case will slam back during firing, flattening the primer and driving it back inside its seat. But with no big bang inside the case, the primer just acts like a tiny rocket engine and flies backwards, and remains sticking out.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.