Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:55 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Tactical Lights Anyone? 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 1:05 pm 

Standard P60 or high output P61 :?:
Seems I read somewhere 100 lumens minimum for a tac light, Any input?
Im not very bright myself and could use the experience of others :P

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 5:12 pm 

60 lumens sure seems plenty to make me see stars on the receiving end.

So in theory the 120 lumen bulbs would be even better. The only problem with the 120 bulbs is that they suck juice REAL fast.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 10:19 pm 

keith wrote:

So in theory the 120 lumen bulbs would be even better. The only problem with the 120 bulbs is that they suck juice REAL fast.

Never having used either does the 60 lumens illuminate the target enough or is it just marginal? 120 bulb sucks juice 20 min but your only useing it for a couple of minutes at a time theoreticaly. Do the batteries go dead gradually or a sharp drop off? It appears from what others here are useing mainly 60/65 lumens that the additionally P61 bulb might not be worth the additional $25.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: 60 lumens enough?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 10:47 pm 

It is enough to, quite literally, turn night into day at distances out to 20 + yds. Also, before someone else quibbles about it. its actually 65 lumens, either way they are damn bright.

It is also a complete white light that avoids what Ayoob calls the "doughnut of death" that you get with Maglites and regular flashlights that are dark in the center.

Rem700 wrote:
keith wrote:

Never having used either does the 60 lumens illuminate the target enough or is it just marginal? 120 bulb sucks juice 20 min but your only useing it for a couple of minutes at a time theoreticaly. Do the batteries go dead gradually or a sharp drop off? It appears from what others here are useing mainly 60/65 lumens that the additionally P61 bulb might not be worth the additional $25.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor -PPITH, PPOTH & RTBAV
BCA Certified Training Organization under PPA
Minnesota Permit to Carry Instructor
Utah Certified CFP Instructor
NRA CRSO, IDPA CSO

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 1:49 pm 

Gander Mtn Fridley has 10%off lights picked up a G2 for $30.59 plus tax.
It was the last G2 but they had a few others, Real slim pickings.
Wheres a good source for batteries? <read cheap.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 2:16 pm 

I usually buy a box or two at a time directly from the Surefire website.

$15 for a box of twelve.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 5:41 pm 
Longtime Regular

Funny, I was just sitting here at work with a spent Surefire battery wondering where to get them. Price sounds right enough. Yeah, I like my G2 Surefire. I liked the price and it makes searching for drugs a whole lot easier. Last night with no light was not fun, as I was contemplating needle sticks with a subject described by someone else as "a walking biohazard". Yeah, I need my light. Don't need too fancy, like the Harries method for shooting, and the "cheapy" Surefire is just right for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 10:40 pm 
Longtime Regular

Rem700 wrote:
Standard P60 or high output P61 :?:
Seems I read somewhere 100 lumens minimum for a tac light, Any input?
Im not very bright myself and could use the experience of others :P

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/ has quite a bit of interesting info.

They note that the Surefire lithium batteries available on their website (Surefires's) is one of the better deals for the batteries.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 9:05 am 
Longtime Regular

Macx wrote:
Yeah, I like my G2 Surefire. I liked the price and it makes searching for drugs a whole lot easier. Last night with no light was not fun, as I was contemplating needle sticks with a subject described by someone else as "a walking biohazard".

I didn't know you were a high school teacher! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 9:41 pm 

I usually carry a G2 if clothing permits, come summer it's not as likely. It comes in handy to check out odd noises or things that just don't look right. But some times it's just too bright.

It would also allow positive target ID if it ever comes to that. After that, the light would likely hit the ground or in some other way get out of my way as I'm going to be busy.

I haven't had any formal training with tactical light usage but I have done some low light shooting using various lights (G2, single LED, maglight etc). If I need the power of the G2 to see/ID the target, it's likely that I can disengage with the light off without firing a shot, which I would call a successful encounter. I do agree with the "shoot here" school of thought for many users with poor light discipline.

Which reminds me, I haven't done it for a while and should go out again. It's also good to shoot your carry ammo so you know (not hope/guess) how much flash you will have if all you can see is an outline with a nice shiny weapon....

Steelheart

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 7:03 am 

Ironbear thanks for the link, I checked SF website and they raised there price to $21 plus $5 for shipping. Do you know anything about the off brand lithiums advertised at $1 each?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 7:11 am 

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/ has quite a bit of interesting info.

They note that the Surefire lithium batteries available on their website (Surefires's) is one of the better deals for the batteries.[/quote]

Ooops I see the reveiw where they rate the $1 Titanium batteries as good.
I will have to order some and try them.

Thanks again for the link.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 6:27 pm 
Longtime Regular

Hmm, I'll bite a little. I won't claim to be heavily trained, but I have received formal training in using a tactical flashlight. I have been on the receiving end of training, and on the nicer end. I've also used it in my job several times.

The shoot me concept. There are ways to keep your light from being a target while actively engaging a target, as well as while searching for a person. I personally don't like the light over the head method. There are others that you can use. I would recommend Bill's Tactical Tuesday on a low light training day. They do a pretty good and thorough explanation of them.

My personal preference is... jeez, again I don't claim to be an expert, but either to place the back of my hand to the back of my hand, or one similar to the Surefire method. I don't like the old FBI method because it puts me in an uncomfortable shooting position that is difficult to run or move in general with.

I don't personally like weapon mounted lights for a few reasons:
- Under combat stress, they are difficult to manipulate effectively.
- If you leave the light on while you are shooting in low light conditions, you will temporarily disorient yourself when the light flips. (At least it disorients me)
- Under combat stress, they are difficult to manipulate effectively. (Notice that trend with me?)
- Holsters are difficult to find, and bulkier
- I have to point my gun at something if I want to see it.

I personally like to have two functions. Left thumb = light, right forefinger = Bang. The KISS theory. When left forefinger up = constant light and left forefinger down = temporary light, you complicate things, and that causes poor shooting, additional stress, hesitation, and failure to get a shot off.

I think lights are great to disorient an attacker, and to help you identify and confirm a threat. I don't want to make sure someone has a gun by looking for muzzle flashes, or a knife by the feeling of steel between my ribs.

Post subject: I'm chimingin late but here goes,,,
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:38 pm 

Quote:
I think lights are overkill for home defense, at least in my house

A light in any home is a very smart idea. If something is going to happen, the majority of the time something bad will happen at night...I mean in the middle of the night. We wake up kind of groggy and don't have everything in place as we grab the heater and search out the reason for us being up in the first place. Lets say your child comes around a corner after getting a glass of water and WHAM! you blast the "figure" that was approaching you.... I think you may see my point. Lesson learned there is: make sure you know what your target is....

I like the idea of a gun mounted light, because the idea behind it is to free up one of your hands, and provided you have a bright enough light, to blind the bad guy. You don't have to have it running all the time.

My favorite gun mounted lights are the surefire X200 and the M3 and M6 lights.

My favorite little flashlight I carry on a daily basis is the Surefire G2. I purchased the original 6P (I think they call it?), but found myself going back to the G2. I did install a higher lumens lamp in the G2 however....
This is a blinding light and would highly recommend it.

IDPA member A08208

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:00 pm 
Longtime Regular

and again, I will say that in searching for drugs (this time looking to see what perscription drugs we could find, bonus for illegal) I found 65 lumens to be quite enough and felt that it wasn't sucking down my battery in a fashion that was going to lead me to file a requisition for funds to restoke my batteries (though that isn't a bad idea). I think the extra light of a higer output light would be wasted outside of combat. I think inside combat the law of diminishing returns has to start making the cost:benefit ratio get pretty steep after 60 lumens.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.