Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:20 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Scenario based training 
 Post subject: Scenario based training
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:27 am 
Longtime Regular

My friend and I were discussing this a while ago. One of the nice things that I've had is a large amount of scenario based training, and I think it's been a really good tool for me. I've also noticed that many people that I've talked to who carry don't have a whole lot of this. I was wondering who's had scenario based training, and who would go for it if it was offered. I think it can be a great tool. Some topics that could be covered might include:
- No shoot situations
- Less lethal force
- Weapon retention
- Verbal commands (I notice a lot of people practice with the gun, but don't practice with the voice)
- Others

What do you think of it? Would you use it? Have you had it? How many of you practice these? Other thoughts?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 1:21 pm 
Longtime Regular

I think that's probably a good idea. While working at one of the Navy's Correctional Custody Units, I was fortunate enough to work with a fine Marine. He helped me develop my "D.I." voice, which has come in handy. Scenario training may help some people. I would like to see some myself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 2:35 pm 
Longtime Regular

BigRobT wrote:
I think that's probably a good idea. While working at one of the Navy's Correctional Custody Units, I was fortunate enough to work with a fine Marine. He helped me develop my "D.I." voice, which has come in handy. Scenario training may help some people. I would like to see some myself.

That's a major part of what I'd like to see. It also seems to be quite lacking for many people. Not only the volume of the commands, but the commands themselves. I've seen a lot of people become quite flustered when trying to decide what to actually yell at someone, and think that the words will just come out when the SHTF. Sorry, doesn't work that way. I've also seen people give quite complicated or confusing commands or use the wrong words.

Thank you for the reply. I'm glad you were able to do that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 2:47 pm 
Longtime Regular

BigRobT wrote:

LB (my Lovely Bride) refers to it as "The Voice of God." When I use that voice, you know full well that I am seriously vexed and irked.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:39 pm 
Longtime Regular

BigRob....did you ever notice that the DI voice doesn't work with please and thank you..... :D

I think that scenario based training of some sort could be considered for the Defensive League....? Good place/time/opportunity to teach and practice.....just a thought.......MHO!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:07 am 
Longtime Regular

hammAR wrote:
BigRob....did you ever notice that the DI voice doesn't work with please and thank you..... :D

ROTFLMAO!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:18 am 

My company does force-on-force scenario based training for law enforcement and security agencies. I've done training with the Minneapolis PD, US Marshall Service, nuclear counter-terrorism, and other groups. I have a program for civillian self-defense I'd love to try out.

Most of the scenarios are based on real-life self-defense cases. Students take turn playing the victim and aggressor. We use Airsoft guns for easy cleanup afterward.

Actually, if there is interest in this, I'd be willing to do a limited-size class for a very low price (thinking $20/person). We can use my classroom space in Lino Lakes, or if someone else wants to host a larger space we could have more participants.

FYI you can read my resume at www.quorumsecurity.com

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:43 am 
Longtime Regular

Sign me up!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:18 am 
Longtime Regular

what day/time would the classes happen?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:06 pm 
Longtime Regular

Set it up, I for one will be there...............and thanks for offering!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 7:38 pm 
Longtime Regular

Erik_Pakieser wrote:
Actually, if there is interest in this, I'd be willing to do a limited-size class for a very low price (thinking $20/person).

I'd be interested in that too!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 7:50 pm 
1911 tainted

More interest here, let us know.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 7:53 pm 
Delicate Flower

Me too !!!!! :D

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:43 pm 

Put another name on the list.

"Don't put your trust in revolutions. They always come around again. That's why they're called revolutions. People die, and nothing changes."
-- (Terry Pratchett, Night Watch)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:03 pm 
Longtime Regular

I would be interested in this type of training.

Side Guard Holsters
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.