Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:07 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Robbinsdale Home Invasion 
 Post subject: Robbinsdale Home Invasion
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:56 pm 
Longtime Regular

I didn't see this posted already. This took place not far from my niece and from a fellow instructor that I work with. Him I am not worried about as he carries all the time but my niece and her husband haven't come over completely to our side yet.

One shot dead in Robbinsdale home invasion
Police are looking for two suspects.

By TIM HARLOW, Star Tribune

Last update: January 1, 2008 - 3:34 PM

A man was shot during a home invasion early this morning in Robbinsdale and later died at a hospital, said Wayne Shellum, the city's police chief.

Three other people were in the house on the 2700 block of York Av. N. when two intruders broke in around 2:45 a.m. They were gone by the time police arrived, Shellum said.

A man who had been shot was taken to North Memorial Medical Center where he later died, Shellum said.

Robbinsdale police and the Hennepin County Sheriff's Office are looking for two suspects believed to be in their early 20s.

Anybody with information is asked to call Robbinsdale Police at 763-531-1220.

http://www.startribune.com/local/west/12958041.html

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 6:03 pm 
Longtime Regular

First one of the year and it took less than 3 hours into the year.

The earliest one I know of from last year didn't happen until February.

--------------------
Next MN carry permit class: TBD.

Permit to Carry MN
--------------------

jason <at> metrodefense <dot> com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 6:41 pm 
Longtime Regular

This sucks. The crap from the north side gets closer every year. I guess it is time to talk to the GV cops and find out how they are planning to deal with this.

I live about 1/2 mile from where this happened.

Didn't hear a thing.

"For those who fight for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
-Unknown

Honorably Discharged member of Uncle Sam's Underwater Canoe Club.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 6:47 pm 
Longtime Regular

Someone should distibute flyers for a carry class in that area.

How do they know it was someone in their 20's to look for? Not much info given out

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:10 pm 
Longtime Regular

JimC wrote:

How do they know it was someone in their 20's to look for? Not much info given out

I think it's funny that they have the age and build, but not the race.

--------------------
Next MN carry permit class: TBD.

Permit to Carry MN
--------------------

jason <at> metrodefense <dot> com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:32 pm 

Well, we only had to put up with Chief Shellum's pronouncement that Robbinsdale isn't THAT kind of neighborhood for 3 hours in 2008. Let's bookmark this in case the Chief's Alzheimer's kicks in and he says there's "no violent crime like that in Robbinsdale" next day/week/month.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:19 pm 
Longtime Regular

Another good reason to carry at home.

Side Guard Holsters
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:00 pm 

Srigs wrote:
Another good reason to carry at home.

and also the have extra mags and a BUG or two placed around the house.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:30 am 
Forum Moderator

princewally wrote:
JimC wrote:

I think it's funny that they have the age and build, but not the race.

Just Strib code!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:41 pm 
Longtime Regular

Here is an update to this story. What a tragedy. They did not have the door locked and apparently the armed men just forced their way in. My doors are always locked and I check who is knocking before I open to anyone. Also I am armed always at home.

Robbinsdale police: Burglars may have hit wrong house
By Jim Adams, Star Tribune

Last update: January 2, 2008 - 6:08 PM

Two burglars who broke into a home in a quiet Robbinsdale neighborhood and shot and killed the homeowner — and injured his wife and two guests early New Year’s Day — may have targeted the wrong house, Robbinsdale police said Wednesday.
“We see no connection” between the home invasion and the couple living in the home, said Police Chief Wayne Shellum. He said the couple had no criminal history and detectives suspect the burglars intended to hit another home in the same 2700 block of York Avenue N., which is just a few blocks from North Memorial Medical Center and near Theodore Wirth Parkway.

The call came in as a robbery with shots fired and the two armed men took wallets, jewelry and other valuables from the four people in the couple's home, Shellum said.

The victim, Jamis Marks, 28, died from multiple gun shot wounds in a homicide, the Hennepin County medical examiner ruled today. He was pronounced dead at North Memorial, a few blocks north of their home. His wife, who is staying elsewhere, and one other guest were assaulted and were treated at the hospital and released, Shellum said.
Shellum said the incident began with a knock on the couple's door after they and their friends had returned home from a New Year's Eve dinner at a Bloomington night club. The door was open and the armed men forced their way into the home.

"It was a shock to the neighorhood and the whole city," Shellum said, adding that home invasions seldom happen in the first-ring suburb.

"It was a real tragedy," said a neighbor, who asked not to be identified. She said Marks and his wife were a pleasant couple who moved in about a year ago and were excited about fixing up their home.

Neighbors said the neighborhood, which is near Theodore Wirth Parkway and North Memorial, has very little crime and has many young families with children.

Police are looking for two, dark-skinned black men believed to be in their early 20s. One is about 175 pounds and about 6 feet tall. The other is 250 pounds and 6-foot-1 to 6-foot-3.

Anyone with information is asked to call police at 763-531-1220.

http://www.startribune.com/local/west/12982406.html

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:15 pm 
Longtime Regular

An example why I dont answer my door (ever - unless expecting a friend) and keep a gun handy at all times.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:20 pm 
The Man

havegunjoe wrote:
Here is an update to this story. What a tragedy. They did not have the door locked and apparently the armed men just forced their way in. My doors are always locked and I check who is knocking before I open to anyone. Also I am armed always at home.

Robbinsdale police: Burglars may have hit wrong house
By Jim Adams, Star Tribune

Last update: January 2, 2008 - 6:08 PM

Two burglars who broke into a home in a quiet Robbinsdale neighborhood and shot and killed the homeowner — and injured his wife and two guests early New Year’s Day — may have targeted the wrong house, Robbinsdale police said Wednesday.

But simply because of that, there's no reason to believe that the robbers necessarily were moonlighting MPD SWAT officers.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:20 pm 
Longtime Regular

joelr wrote:
But simply because of that, there's no reason to believe that the robbers necessarily were moonlighting MPD SWAT officers.

It's one thing to point out incidents, policies, and procedures that lead to tragedy and miscarriage of justice. It's quite another to extrapolate an incident this far... Just as you have a reason for calling some Security personnel "mall ninjas", perhaps they have a reason for yelling "cop bashing" ...

Some SWAT Raids go wrong. We SHOUJLD get the policy and procedure changed. equating a mis-targeted home invasion to Moonlighting SWAT raids is over my personal comfort line.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:32 pm 
The Man

Well, actually, lots of SWAT raids go wrong. Many start out wrong; that's a function of the promiscuous use of doorkicking raids, which have multiplied by literally orders -- plural -- of magnitude over the past decades.

That said, I specifically did say that this was not necessarily moonlighting SWAT officers. For one thing, they -- alas -- shot like criminals, and apparently hit their target, rather than spraying the house and -- thankfully -- missing everybody, including with those shots that went outside the house -- as some of the SWAT officers shots in the most recent botched raid did -- going Ghu knows where.

That said, the description of one of the robbers is somewhat familiar, eh?

Seriously: I doubt that these robbers were moonlighting cops; such things are hardly unknown, but they are rare.

Last edited by joelr on Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:38 pm 
Wise Elder

joelr wrote:

That, and these "burglars" didn't shoot as they were making an unopposed entry.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.