Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:06 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Home Invasions 
 Post subject: Home Invasions
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 9:46 pm 
Longtime Regular

While listening to part of the Phil Hendry show last night on the new FM Talk radio (THANK GOD it's FM!!!), Phil had a guest on that goes to neighborhoods and attempts to open the front door. If he finds the front door unlocked, he and his crew enter the home,(they are in some sort of wanna-be cop uniform) and disrupts the home, seperates the men & women, and has even gone as far as making women undress. He CLAIMS this is LEGAL!! :shock: Anyways, during the show, the issue of gun owners came up and the guest stated that he does a sidestep, then some skip/jump to escape a loaded pistol/gun being fired at him. He claims to date that none of his crew has ever been shot. He also claims that his crew will "swarm" the gun bearer and disarm him/ her.

OK, here's the gun issue: as a homeowner, do you carry ALL the time while in the house or is your gun tucked safely away ?? Secondly, were an invasion like this to happen, would you be able to shoot & HIT a moving target?? I know many of us participate in the defensive pistol league and I feel that there are many of us capable of doing an idiot like him in. Thirdly, are YOU prepared for a potential home invasion?? Lastly, I can't believe that he hasn't been charged with assault, (causing fear or fear of harm) or any other charge, like unlawful detention, etc. What say y'all??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 10:02 pm 
Longtime Regular

This wouldn't work in my house as we never leave the doors unlocked, also we a very small house so swarming would be impossible.

As for gun availability, we live in N. MPLS, they would not have a chance.

You are right though, I can't believe this story either.

I think the main point of this whole story is lock and check your doors and windows. The longer it takes them to get in, the better position you will be in to defend your self and your family, and the more time for the "real" police to arive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 10:05 pm 
Journeyman Member

I would sue any living members of his "crew" after it was over to cover my legal expenses from the one's that didn't make it.

I do not have a gun on me at this second, but I have worn one around the house (getting used to it in preparation for being able to carry).

Kick my door once and I can be armed before you figure out what room I ran to when you kicked it (it's five feet from where I am sitting). Since they're not kicking doors and they are trying for unlocked doors, they wouldn't get in here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 10:08 pm 

I dont wear a tin foil hat least not yet. I do carry from the time I get up to the time I retire for the evening and then it goes from holster to the head board. Ive only made the last couple of league shoots and carry a Kimber 1911. Dont know wether I can hit a moving or stationary target and hope I never have the need to find out. I wonder if the targets at Bills could be programed to sidestep skip jump I would then be better able to answer your ?s.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 10:09 pm 
Longtime Regular

backinthegame wrote:
I would sue any living members of his "crew" after it was over to cover my legal expenses from the one's that didn't make it.

Why stop at the living, the dead have estates? and are just as sue-able?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 10:11 pm 
Journeyman Member

grayskys wrote:
backinthegame wrote:

Why stop at the living, the dead have estates? and are just as sue-able?

Never thought of it honestly. I've never had to sue anyone, or even really considered it. At the time, my thoughts wouldn't be on litigation, but on keeping my kids safe.

It was a kneejerk comment that might not have made much sense.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 10:18 pm 
Longtime Regular

I know; I was being a tad silly about the comment.

Your thoughts would be right were mine would be as well (the safety of my wife and myself). However, when I would have had time to lose the stress...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 10:30 pm 
Longtime Regular

I attempted calling in to the show, but never got through. I was just appalled at what this guy THINKS he can get away with. I'm pretty good about security but EVEN IF I left my front door unlocked, he would still be
dead or dying within 10 seconds of him entering my house illegally. (As far as I'm concerned, if you're not invited in and you enter, you're at least trespassing and anything you do could infer ill intentions. The rest of his crew could TRY to swarm me, I'll get one or two of them, too. Moving targets?? Well, they were moving closer & farther the last two shoots. Too bad the range targets didn't have the capabilities to move side to side in addition to the to & from. THERE would be a challenge. Maybe we could hang a box-like target from the hangers and have side shots. They may not be COM & deadly, but just a thought, as the targets DO turn sideways.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 10:48 pm 
Delicate Flower

Doors always locked ......2 dog early warning system and snubby on my hip 90%of time. I suspect that he doesn't get sued because "if you sign this release we will pay you........."

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Phil Hendry show
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 11:21 pm 
on probation

Phil Hendry show is not real for those of you who not know. :oops: :roll:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 11:21 pm 
Longtime Regular

Down to just a one dog early warning system, locked exterior doors on the building + locked door within, pistol with chambered round and full mag in holster within arms reach where I sit most of the time I am home and a pair of magazines fully loaded right beside.

A prick the likes of which is being described, reminds me of this punk back in junior high, a short little punk that "always got away with it" whatever "it" was. I know the time has probably come and gone, but I'd kill just to watch that moment of surprise in such a man's eyes. . . that moment when arrogance turns to the fear of an afterlife and the lickering of the first few flames of hell.

Heaven wouldn't even be a help if one of these pricks found a way into my place. Somebody has to be left alive to offer me a release and I am not sure they'd have a big enough crew for any of the ones in the back to get clear. Besides, why sign a release for what they are willing to give me, when it probably wouldn't total my lawyers cut of the take from suing them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 11:23 pm 
Longtime Regular

Okay, not real, alrighty then. Everything is okay & I can go back to thinking about real home invaders. I think I might actually pour out more wrath on a prankster. :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:32 am 
Longtime Regular

Now this just pisses me off to no end, but...

A) No, I don't carry all the time at home, but my most powerful weapons are permanently attached to my body, and there are many items that can be used as weapons all over the house. My gun is always available where I keep it, readily accessible.

B) Last time I tried, I can hit a moving target, and I could hit a target while moving.

C) I'm reasonably prepared for it.

D) From what it sounds like, he could easily get charged with impersonating a Police Officer, 1st degree burglary, assault (because you will have to hurt me to keep me from killing you if you go for my gun), possibly disorderly conduct, and potentially others that I'm not aware of.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:02 am 

I call bullshit on this guy. What he claims to be doing is obviously illegal, and would almost certainly be met with violent response.

Seriously, even without a gun on my hip (I'm lucky to be wearing pants when I am home alone, let alone my gun) I'm not too worried. I always keep my doors locked, and anyone entering would need to get to me faster than I could get to my guns.

If anyone forcibly enters my home, I wouldn't waste my time with a handgun, I'm going straight for the 12-gauge. I've got one in the bedroom closet and one in the coat closet downstairs.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:24 am 
The Man

Erik_Pakieser wrote:
I call bullshit on this guy. What he claims to be doing is obviously illegal, and would almost certainly be met with violent response.

Seriously, even without a gun on my hip (I'm lucky to be wearing pants when I am home alone, let alone my gun) I'm not too worried. I always keep my doors locked, and anyone entering would need to get to me faster than I could get to my guns.

If anyone forcibly enters my home, I wouldn't waste my time with a handgun, I'm going straight for the 12-gauge. I've got one in the bedroom closet and one in the coat closet downstairs.
Well, yeah, but every guest on that show is full of it -- that's the gimmick. It starts off barely believable, and then goes downhill from there.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.