Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:00 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
 Taking care of your carry gun. 
 Post subject: Taking care of your carry gun.
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:34 pm 
Longtime Regular

I carry a Glock 19. I have 2 so I alternate shooting them when I get to the range. Unfortunately, I do not get to the range very often as I have 2 daughters, one who is 2 and the other 5 months. So it may be 4-6 months between firing my carry gun. My question for all is how often do you actually examine, check, clean, your carry gun? I know with Glocks, it is really not necessary to do much with them, but I am just curious. I do check it to insure that the magazine is locked in place and that there is no lint or other barrel obstructions. What do you guys do if anything?

Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Chris

Post subject: Re: Taking care of your carry gun.
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:41 pm 
on probation

Moby Clarke wrote:
I carry a Glock 19. I have 2 so I alternate shooting them when I get to the range. Unfortunately, I do not get to the range very often as I have 2 daughters, one who is 2 and the other 5 months. So it may be 4-6 months between firing my carry gun. My question for all is how often do you actually examine, check, clean, your carry gun? I know with Glocks, it is really not necessary to do much with them, but I am just curious. I do check it to insure that the magazine is locked in place and that there is no lint or other barrel obstructions. What do you guys do if anything?
I check my sig once a week, take it a part and wip it down and oil it up.....takes about 4 mins...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:57 pm 
1911 tainted

I am fortunate, I am rural and have a small acreage with a range basically in my back yard. It varies with me, I wipe it down regularly, but I try clean my carry weapon and check it's function monthly. I will field strip it, clean and lube, then run the mags of ammo through it that I have been carrying to check function, reload two other spare magazines with fresh ammo, recharge my carry weapon and I am good to go.

This seems backwards to some, but I clean first and test fire second to make sure that everything is good after my tear down and cleaning. Test firing first and then cleaning, well how can I be sure that I didn’t do something quite right when reassembling my carry piece, chance are things are just fine, but firing after I clean always gives me a warm and fuzzy. 8)

Last edited by cobb on Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:16 pm 
Longtime Regular

Weekly, whether I use it or not.......................tear-down, wipe, swab through the tube, 5 drops of lube, reassemble.......unload mags, shuffle ammo, reload, and charge weapon.........

It's fun and just an old habit....besides you can never be too familiar with your weapon.......and yes, I sleep with it too! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:23 pm 
Longtime Regular

You're gonna LOVE taking your girls to the range when they get older. I know I did mine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:20 am 
Longtime Regular

Quote:
I check my sig once a week, take it a part and wip it down and oil it up.....takes about 4 mins...

You crack me up. 4 minutes. I can detail strip, wipe down, and reassemble my Makarov in that time. Five minutes if ya blindfold me. :wink:

Seriously though, in answer to the question, I take my safety and firing pin out and practice draw and dry fire a few times a week. Usually pull the slide off just for giggles at some point in that process.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:59 am 
Longtime Regular

Since my carry gun is a small revolver (Taurus, J-frame-size, 5-shot titanium .38 Special +P) there's not much that needs to be done.

Even so, I still wipe it down, and run a patch wrapped over a brass jag through the bore and charge holes about once every 10 days. While it's empty, I also dry-fire it rapidly a few times. Then oil it lightly, re-load, and it's back to its nylon pocket holster.

Which reminds me, I need to get some snap-caps in .38 Special. Anybody know offhand where I can get those?

Last edited by Dave Matheny on Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:01 am 
on probation

Dave Matheny wrote:
Which reminds me, I need to get some snap-caps in .38 Special. Anybody know offhand where I can get those?
Right here you can.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:20 pm 
Longtime Regular

I guess I am not that far out of line. My monthly check to insure no lint and to lube it seem ok.

And yes, I am very much looking forward to taking my girls to the range. I hope they learn to enjoy shooting with their old man. :D

Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:21 pm 
Delicate Flower

lastgunshop wrote:
Dave Matheny wrote:
Right here you can.

Gander Mt also...........but Mark is probably cheaper and loads more fun to visit. :) :) :)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Love to see the lint fly!
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:13 pm 

Moby Clarke wrote:
I guess I am not that far out of line. My monthly check to insure no lint and to lube it seem ok.

And yes, I am very much looking forward to taking my girls to the range. I hope they learn to enjoy shooting with their old man. :D

Every once in a while someone who must pocket carry fires off some rounds and out flys the lint! Was not sure if they left a cleaning patch in the first time I saw it, but a buddy told me it was probably pocket lint.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor -PPITH, PPOTH & RTBAV
BCA Certified Training Organization under PPA
Minnesota Permit to Carry Instructor
Utah Certified CFP Instructor
NRA CRSO, IDPA CSO

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:07 am 
Longtime Regular

That reminds me I got to clean my carry guns tonight! ;)

Side Guard Holsters
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.