Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:47 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 (WI) Gun Clubs Jolted By Tax 
 Post subject: (WI) Gun Clubs Jolted By Tax
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:48 pm 

I found the article:

Gun Clubs Jolted By Tax
Quote:
Gun clubs jolted by tax

Unexpected bills spur exemption push in state

By Ed Culhane
Post-Crescent staff writer

Directors of the Twin City Rod & Gun Club were shocked in December when notified their nonprofit organization had to pay a state sales tax on memberships and fees.

In the Neenah club's 60-plus years of existence, it had never before paid this tax, as far as any current members know.

"They hit us for $19,000," said club president Miles Horton. "We've paid it already. We didn't have much choice. We had to halt a couple projects we were doing."

Meredith Helgerson, a spokeswoman for the state Department of Revenue, said that by law, she is not allowed to discuss details regarding a specific taxpayer. But she said that the department for years has been taxing recreation clubs. "This is a long-standing law," she said.

It's one that recreation clubs hope to change.

After the Outagamie Conservation Club, N3502 Mayflower Road, also received an unexpected tax bill, for about $10,000, club president Michael Kohl asked state Rep. Steve Wieckert, R- Appleton, for help.

Wieckert drafted Assembly Bill 718, which would create a sales tax exemption on memberships in gun clubs that are open to the public and that provide safety classes, certified by the state Department of Natural Resources, to at least 100 individuals a year. These include hunting and firearm courses and classes in the safe operation of ATVs, boats and snowmobiles.

The Legislature's Joint Finance Committee will discuss the bill — already approved unanimously by the Assembly's Natural Resources Committee — Wednesday. It will go to the Assembly if it is approved by the committee, then to the state Senate and finally to Gov. Jim Doyle.

Helgerson said all types of recreation clubs have to pay the sales tax. She said certain educational activities, like safety classes, are tax-exempt, but membership dues and fees collected for recreational activities, such as fees to use a gun range, are taxed. She said the law applies to all recreational clubs, be it a tennis club or a gun club.

"This is not a new law or a new interpretation of a law," she said.

Helgerson said businesses, like individuals, are responsible for understanding the tax law and paying the taxes owed. The Department of Revenue regularly publishes information about tax laws and has information on the department's Web site at www.dor.state.wi.us.

Helgerson said her department is concerned that the new law would not be equitable. Gun clubs would enjoy a tax exemption, but other recreational clubs would not.

Wieckert said gun club members volunteer thousands of hours each year to train young people in the safe use of guns, bows, boats, all-terrain vehicles and snowmobiles. More than 100 gun, skeet and trap shooting clubs exist in Wisconsin.

DNR records show that 8,316 volunteers conducted 2,000 courses in 2004, training more than 54,500 students in hunter education and in firearms, boat, snowmobile and ATV safety.

"These people are dedicating their time for free," Wieckert said. "The DNR can't say enough about what the Outagamie Conservation Club does. These are very professional, very skilled instructors. They are doing the state a great service by doing this and now we are going to tax them? It's the wrong thing to do."

Wieckert said if an exemption is to be created for these clubs, it must be done before the new revenue stream becomes a part of the state budget. That means he and other supporters of AB 718 must get the bill to the governor's desk before the legislative session ends in March.

The exemption would not apply to private gun clubs or game farms. State officials are unable to estimate how AB 718 would affect tax revenues.

State Rep. Dean Kaufert, R-Neenah, co-chairman of Joint Finance, said the committee likely would approve the bill. The hardest journey will be through the state Senate, he said, where lawmakers are loath to reduce income during a time of economic stress.

Kaufert and Wieckert both said the gun clubs, and their volunteer instructors, benefit the state by improving the safety and enjoyment of outdoor activities, which are a major tourism draw.

If the clubs didn't volunteer to offer state-mandated safety courses, the lawmakers said, the state would have to hire instructors.

"For that reason alone, we should make sure there isn't a tax liability for them," Kaufert said.

Doyle spokeswoman Melanie Fonder said the governor will look closely at the bill if it comes to his desk.

"If it benefits the sportsmen and sportswomen of Wisconsin, he will be glad to sign it," she said.

Ed Culhane can be reached at 920-993-1000, ext. 216, or by e-mail at eculhane@postcrescent.com. Post-Crescent Madison bureau chief Ben Jones contributed to this report.

MADFI Certified Instructor (#60)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:03 pm 
Longtime Regular

Quote:
Doyle spokeswoman Melanie Fonder said the governor will look closely at the bill if it comes to his desk.

"If it benefits the sportsmen and sportswomen of Wisconsin, he will be glad to sign it," she said.

This is apparently a problem mainly for the hunters. I no longer give a flying... care about them.

"Build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a night. Set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life." ~ unknown

Never been tazered. (yet).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:38 am 
Longtime Regular

Aquaholic wrote:
This is apparently a problem mainly for the hunters. I no longer give a flying... care about them.

Can I ask why?

I know I am upset that far to many Hunters support gun control measures like the so-called assault weapons ban and the like.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:49 am 
Longtime Regular

If the hunters in WI supported the PPA, it would be law now. All they care about is their .30-30's and shotguns, ducks and deer. Never mind supporting fellow gun owners who want have the right to carry for personal protection, it's not THEIR fight. But you know every one of us would support them if the gov decided to go after their gun rights.

Lack of support from the hunters cost WI the right to carry, again. In WI, the hunters get what they want, or the pols don't get reelected.

"Build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a night. Set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life." ~ unknown

Never been tazered. (yet).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:06 am 
Longtime Regular

Aqua, the main impetus behind me getting my carry permit WAS for hunting!!! I live is pretty safe areas and seldom travel to unsavory parts of the cities. Even when I was recruiting off of Broadway & 94 (1988), I rarely felt unsafe. Although I do recall going into the projects to get someone to ship off for bootcamp. That did make me feel uneasy.

BTW, I was in contact with Mark Olson,my rep, during the CCW reinstatement hearings. Mark's pretty pro-gun, both hunting AND Second Amendment-wise.

"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." [...a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand.] -- (Lucius Annaeus) Seneca "the Younger" (ca. 4 BC-65 AD),

The Nanny State MUST DIE!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:21 am 
Longtime Regular

I had heard some hunting groups in Wisconsin were calling, trying to stop the passage of CCW in Wisconsin. I had hoped this wasn't true.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:34 am 

Quote:
This is apparently a problem mainly for the hunters.

Its a problem for anyone that enjoys going to and being part of a gun club. If gun clubs cease to exist, a lot of people other than just hunters will be affected.

Hunters need to learn that their scoped deer rifle is one legislative bill away from being a "dangerous hi-power sniper rifle, capable of secretly killing from 1,000 yards". Unfortunately, most of them just don't get it.

MADFI Certified Instructor (#60)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:43 am 
Longtime Regular

grayskys wrote:
I had heard some hunting groups in Wisconsin were calling, trying to stop the passage of CCW in Wisconsin. I had hoped this wasn't true.

I think if you look on THR, you will see that there was one or two hunting groups against the WI PPA. Maybe it was posted here, too.

"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." [...a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand.] -- (Lucius Annaeus) Seneca "the Younger" (ca. 4 BC-65 AD),

The Nanny State MUST DIE!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:34 am 
Longtime Regular

I wonder how they would act if a group called Hangun Owners Against Hunting went after them. Of course that's the anti's tactic, divide and conquer.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.