Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:30 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Don't talk to the police 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:36 pm 

An excellent video.

Does anyone else think that guy looks like Pawlenty (and has similar manerisms; add dark hair)?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:07 pm 
Longtime Regular

For those who had trouble viewing the other formats, this is now available on youtube:
Part one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8z7NC5sgik

Part two: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08fZQWjDVKE

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:16 pm 
Longtime Regular

Part I is now my intermission video for my class.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:51 pm 
Longtime Regular

Same here. We get through 20 minutes or so while having a mid-class snack. It is an eye opener and generates good conversation.

"The attitude of people associating guns with nothing but crime, that is what has to be changed. I grew up at a time when people were not afraid of people with firearms." —Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia
Sierra Trading - Firearms Sales, Service and Training

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:23 pm 

Great video, this guy is a smooth talker, and whoever made the Pawlenty reference..i see it a little.

"Ours was the first revolution in the history of mankind that truly reversed the course of goverment with three little words 'We The People'. We the people tell the government what to do, It doesn't tell us."
The Late Great Ronald Reagan

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
-Aristotle

Campus Leader-IHCC
Students for Concealed Carry on Campus
www.concealedcampus.org

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:02 pm 
Longtime Regular

Thanks Dean.

I watched both.

It was like pounding home the knowledge I already had, but with a sledge hammer. :shock: :shock: :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:04 pm 

Thank you for posting this.

Other than that, Im not talking... :| :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:11 pm 
Longtime Regular

I love that the officer is honest enough to admit that yeah, he's basically right, but then explain the situation a little from his angle.

No ad hominem attacks, just straight honest information.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:43 am 

Great video!!! - Joel or ? is it good enough for the reference sction???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:38 am 
Longtime Regular

Could that be burt to CD and handed out in classes without repercussions?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:39 am 
Longtime Regular

Andrew Rothman wrote:
Part I is now my intermission video for my class.

:shock: Why did I not think of that? I will play part one tomorrow during lunch. I will just have to see how it gos. I often wanted to get this in the class but couldn't because of time constraints. :D

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:28 pm 
Longtime Regular

Added to reference section.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:47 am 

Pulled over this evening after leaving a holiday party. (For future reference it snowed about 2" this evening and the roads were very slick.)

Reason for the stop: Apparently I didn't use my turn signal back at that last turn. (I didn't see any traffic and was busy trying to see the street sign under the snow on a road I wasn't familiar with. I suspect he had a different reason, but I'm not sure because I didn't see where he was when I made the turn.)

After checking my insurance and DL, allegedly the nice officer smelled alcohol. (Yeah, right. You pulled me over because I didn't signal at 11:30 PM when there wasn't any traffic, yep, sure you did...)
He obviously wasn't very worried about his safety since when he asked me to step out of my vehicle I promptly stuck my hands in my very large overcoat pockets and left them there. He didn't say a word about that. (Dumb officer, very dumb -- even if the "suspect" is wearing a suit and tie.) Also probably dumb on my part, but I was pissed off at that point and trying to remain calm despite the adrenaline dump that had pushed my heart rate through the roof. (I'm sure the coffee I had after dinner didn't help that, but as fast as it was going it was mostly the adrenaline.) It's been at least 3-4 years since I last had to deal with the police.

In keeping with the theme of the thread: I will warn you from personal experience that it VERY hard to not answer questions. Very hard. I said things that in hindsight as a lawyer I shouldn't have, probably out of reflex.

Officer friendly was still generally polite even after I finally made myself shut up and refused to cooperate with the field sobriety test. (Mind: No, I'm not going to watch your stupid little pen go back and forth. Body: bite tongue, shake head no.) He then asked if I wanted to take the (some acronym I didn't recognize -- PBA? PBT?) and get out of there. (As if I get to leave if I fail...) I correctly assumed he meant the breathalyzer and made him repeat the request. I can't remember if he then asked if I was a lawyer or which law firm I worked at. I didn't answer. He said he was just curious.

In the end I'm at home writing this because the stupid little box read 0.010. Is that even past the margin of error on those things?
The officers comment on seeing the results, "OH, you MUST have had something to drink earlier in the evening." (I shrugged my shoulders, accepted my DL back and walked to my car.)

I wonder why I didn't get a ticket for failing to signal? (I'm not even sure there is a penalty for that, anyone know? I'm sure there's something, but I'm not in the mood for legal research.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:09 pm 
Longtime Regular

I'd love to see the video from that stop if he has one.

You might make a FOIA request, but do it sooner rather than later. Stops that result in no paper aren't saved overly long.

BTW, the statute for turn signals:

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.