Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:20 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Two newbies to the fold? 
 Post subject: Two newbies to the fold?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:42 am 
Longtime Regular

FINALLY, I convinced the Mrs. to come to the pistol range with me. I had her bring along one of her buddies as company- so they could learn together.
I spen about an hour with them at home, going over basic gun saftey, range etiquitte, and showing the the differences in how the guns we were going to use worked.
We used my Ruger MKII, SA XD-40, SA 1911 Trophy Match Long Slide, and a Rossi .357 mag revolver. I had them shoot .38 spl, not the mags.
Anyway they were quick studies and did extremely well on the range.
Both of them shot mostly at 15 feet, and they pretty much kept everything on the paper. I was impressed. They also were very good at keeping the guns pointed down range, fingers off the trigger, etc.......
They even asked me a few very good questions about carrying.
In the end, all had fun, and hopefully I got a couple more neutral people moving toward carry permits.
I noticed that the pistol range (Dakota Range @ Mystic Lake) is now offering carry classes. Wonder what changed their minds? When the 2003 law went into affect, they wanted nothing to do with carry permits. IIRC they even stopped allowing instructors the use of the range for the shooting portion of their classes.

Post subject: Re: Two newbies to the fold?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:54 am 
1911 tainted

Brewman wrote:
I noticed that the pistol range (Dakota Range @ Mystic Lake) is now offering carry classes. Wonder what changed their minds? When the 2003 law went into affect, they wanted nothing to do with carry permits. IIRC they even stopped allowing instructors the use of the range for the shooting portion of their classes.

Maybe because now one of the Dakota Range personel is certified by the state to teach and now they have total control over what and how it is done.

Just a guess..............

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Two newbies to the fold?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:10 am 
on probation

cobb wrote:
Brewman wrote:

Maybe because now one of the Dakota Range personel is certified by the state to teach and now they have total control over what and how it is done.

Just a guess..............
No they have been certified to teach back in 2003. It was a legal thing at that time with Mystic Lake. As far as not allowing instructors in to the range, that was because some not all would come in and try to take the range over without calling to see if there was room at the time. And some would teach their classes in the lobby of the health club without permission. As far as the instructor that they have now that’s my brother John.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:30 am 
Longtime Regular

Thanks for the information.
George was working at the front desk yesterday, and the place was pretty busy, so I didn't have much time to chat, or I'd have just asked him.

Regardless, I'm glad to see that they are back in the swing of things and participating in carry permit classes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:03 pm 
on probation

Brewman wrote:
Thanks for the information.
George was working at the front desk yesterday, and the place was pretty busy, so I didn't have much time to chat, or I'd have just asked him.

Regardless, I'm glad to see that they are back in the swing of things and participating in carry permit classes.
I use to beat George up when he was a kid. That made him become a Minneapolis Cop. :? :lol:

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.