Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:08 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 AKs and the likes 
 Post subject: AKs and the likes
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 12:51 pm 
Longtime Regular

I was wondering how many people own an AK or an AK clone. The reason why is that I learned a way to keep the bolt open without having to modify the safety. First, ENSURE the magazine is removed and NO round is chambered. Secondly, pull the bolt back all the way. Thirdly, let the bolt slide forward about 1/2" while pulling the trigger. When it locks up, it will keep the bolt open.. This works on all of my AKs and AK clones. My Saiga will slam shut if you touch the bolt with any firmness. My other two stay open, no matter what you do.

"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." [...a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand.] -- (Lucius Annaeus) Seneca "the Younger" (ca. 4 BC-65 AD),

The Nanny State MUST DIE!!!

Last edited by BigRobT on Sat Feb 11, 2006 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 2:01 pm 

I have to ask: Why?

In the event that I need to keep the bolt "open" in accordance with range rules, I have a yellow flag in my range bag that I used to use off the line when shooting highpower.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 2:40 pm 
Longtime Regular

I just thought it would be a "nice to know" bit of information.

"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." [...a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand.] -- (Lucius Annaeus) Seneca "the Younger" (ca. 4 BC-65 AD),

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 11:57 pm 
Longtime Regular

Which Saiga ya got Rob?

I am a .308 16" owner. I agree, the Saiga bolt does seem sensitive to bumping where most others will hold open pretty securely.

Are you familiar with: forum.saiga-12.com or the Ak/SKS section of Gunboards.com?

Do you build?

Post subject: Re: AKs and the likes
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 8:17 am 
on probation

BigRobT wrote:
I was wondering how many people own an AK or an AK clone.
I own a few AK’s some semi a 1 full auto. When the assaults weapons ban went away I now call the “AK’s and AR-15 urban self defense firearms. This gives me a soft fuzzy and warm feeling.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 10:29 am 
Longtime Regular

Maxc, I have the .410 version. I don't really care for it as I don't do a lot of bird hunting and it doesn't shoot slugs worth a damn. Besides, finding 3" slugs is done only online as the local stores I've been to only carry 2 1/2" slugs.

My others are a SAR-1 & SLR-95, both 7.62 x 39. My .308 is an L1A1.

I don't build, but I have considered it. I WOULD like to change the barrel on my SAR-1, but I'm not too sure about how to do that. (it keyholes the paper targets at 25 yards and beyond)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:38 am 
Journeyman Member

Have a Gordon Tech SLR-100, milled receiver. Paid too much, but, like most AKs it always goes boom when it's supposed to. Also have an AMD-65 that i had built from a kit. Ugly little gun; tho, like the SLR it too, goes boom.

Next up is a Krink kit that's coming back as a pistol. Funny, i just don't envision it as a carry. Go figure.

NRA Life
JFPFO Life
GOA Life

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.