Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:51 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Mpls Police offering free cable locks 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:35 am 
The Man

87% of statistics are made up on the spot, although only about 23.5% of the population knows that.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:46 pm 
Longtime Regular

factious = fact based on fiction + typo + good Scotch........... :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 2:21 pm 
Longtime Regular

Personally, I kind of get a laugh out of some of the "wordsmithing" that has transpired. Typoes or not.

"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." [...a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand.] -- (Lucius Annaeus) Seneca "the Younger" (ca. 4 BC-65 AD),

The Nanny State MUST DIE!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 3:27 pm 
Longtime Regular

Actually in this case it is not wordsmithing Merriman-Webster. Still it was an improper use of the word:

Main Entry: fac·tious
Pronunciation: 'fak-sh&s
Function: adjective
Etymology: Middle French or Latin; Middle French factieux, from Latin factiosus, from factio
: of or relating to faction : as a : caused by faction <factious disputes> b : inclined to faction or the formation of factions c : SEDITIOUS
- fac·tious·ly adverb
- fac·tious·ness noun

Tomorrows word for the day is: fruition :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 3:55 pm 
Longtime Regular

But, HammAR, your word wasn't used in THAT context !!! :lol:

"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." [...a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand.] -- (Lucius Annaeus) Seneca "the Younger" (ca. 4 BC-65 AD),

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:35 pm 
Longtime Regular

BigRobT you missed definition "c" SEDITIOUS .....

Main Entry: se·di·tion
Pronunciation: si-'di-sh&n
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, from Middle French, from Latin sedition-, seditio, literally from incitement of resistance to or insurrection against lawful authority

[Rant on] This whole thing was in response to and the way that I feel about the "Project ChildSafe program to help ensure safe and responsible firearm ownership and storage," If you aren't responsible, you surely should not own a weapon. If you do not know how to safely secure a weapon, you surely should not own a weapon. If you do not accept the responsibility to teach responsibility and assure the safety of children, then surely you should not have children.

I do not need social engineers and liberal anti's convincing the state/city to pass laws controlling my home or life and needlessly spending my tax money on programs that can/will potentially inhibit or reduce my responsibility or ability to protect and keep safe my children, as I know that they will not take the responsibility to assure the safety of my children.................What's next for Project ChildSafe, check my weapons into the Armory or put a trigger lock on my carry weapon just in case or just flat turn them all in......... :evil: [rant off]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:40 pm 
Longtime Regular

Good Rant! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:12 pm 
Longtime Regular

hammAR wrote:
[Rant on] This whole thing was in response to and the way that I feel about the "Project ChildSafe program to help ensure safe and responsible firearm ownership and storage," If you aren't responsible, you surely should not own a weapon. If you do not know how to safely secure a weapon, you surely should not own a weapon. If you do not accept the responsibility to teach responsibility and assure the safety of children, then surely you should not have children.

I do not need social engineers and liberal anti's convincing the state/city to pass laws controlling my home or life and needlessly spending my tax money on programs that can/will potentially inhibit or reduce my responsibility or ability to protect and keep safe my children, as I know that they will not take the responsibility to assure the safety of my children.................What's next for Project ChildSafe, check my weapons into the Armory or put a trigger lock on my carry weapon just in case or just flat turn them all in......... :evil: [rant off]

I guess I did. Too many distractions. I guess that's what I get for attempting to multi-task :shock:

As far as your rant, I'd like to know what changed in the 70s and 80s?? I grew up with guns in the house. I NEVER played with the guns. I did manage to find a bullet when I was 6 and set it off with a brick :shock: (No father for the preceeding 5 years). Other than that, no issues. I knew where the gun was and was told not to play with it. (HANDGUN!!! I know what you're thinking, Marine!!) There was one time a gang was after me and I retrieved the gun in order to defend myself. Fortunately, I wasn't placed in a position to be forced to fire on them. Thing is, I grew up in the 60s & 70s, there were NO school shootings, little gun crime (unless one ventured into South Dallas or Tower Lane in another city). I'd like to know what exactly has changed :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:26 pm 
On time out

And here I thought he was going for "fictitious" (only because that is a lot more common term, but kudos for coming across facetious if you didn't recall it!).

I have friends who end stories with either '...and then I stabbed a guy.' to try to generate interest, or '...and then I found ten dollars.' if they can tell they lost their audience a loooong time back & have no hope of re-engaging them. Make sure to use one of those at the end of your next made-up story so I know it's a fake, m'kay? Thanks. :wink:

...man, all this talk reminds me of that time I used a cable gun lock as a tourniquet on Jessica Alba's arm, saving her from bleeding out until we had completed our daring escape, thus earning her eternal gratitude...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:55 am 
Longtime Regular

Prolix wrote:
...man, all this talk reminds me of that time I used a cable gun lock as a tourniquet on Jessica Alba's arm, saving her from bleeding out until we had completed our daring escape, thus earning her eternal gratitude...

Yeah, she told me all about it on our wedding night. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:35 am 
Longtime Regular

Andrew, is that true or are you just pulling my leg, sheesh......lucky guy :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:03 am 
Longtime Regular

Andrew Rothman wrote:
Prolix wrote:

Yeah, she told me all about it on our wedding night. :)

Oh man, Andrew, she never told me, I swear!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:40 am 
Longtime Regular

He may have meant "farcical", not "factious".

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.