Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:18 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Mpls Police offering free cable locks 
 Post subject: Mpls Police offering free cable locks
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:07 am 

http://www.ci.minneapolis.mn.us/police/ ... #TopOfPage

Quote:
Minneapolis Police offer free gun locks to promote gun safety
The Minneapolis Police Department and Project ChildSafe, the largest firearm safety education program in the nation, are joining forces to remind gun owners to store their firearms safely. Minneapolis Police, in partnership with Project ChildSafe, are giving away 5,000 gun locks in hopes of preventing the tragic accidents that can occur when a loaded gun falls into the hands of a child.

The gun locks are free on a first-come basis. The cable-style locks can be obtained at each police precinct:

First Precinct: 19 N 4th Street
Second Precinct: 1911 Central Ave NE
Third Precinct: 300 Minnehaha Ave S
Fourth Precinct: 1925 Plymouth Ave N
Fifth Precinct: 3101 Nicollet Ave S

Project ChildSafe is a nationwide program to help ensure safe and responsible firearm ownership and storage, developed by the National Shooting Sports Foundation (NSSF) and supported by a U.S. Department of Justice grant. More information on Project ChildSafe can be found at www.ProjectChildSafe.org.

February 2, 2006

Not sure if this is still happening as it is almost 2 weeks old, but I hadn't heard anything about it.

"Don't put your trust in revolutions. They always come around again. That's why they're called revolutions. People die, and nothing changes."
-- (Terry Pratchett, Night Watch)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:20 am 
Longtime Regular

I think this is an ongoing thing with MN PDs. Becker PD has been offering them for about a year, now. I THINK that Sherburne Co. Sheriff's Office also offers them.

"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." [...a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand.] -- (Lucius Annaeus) Seneca "the Younger" (ca. 4 BC-65 AD),

The Nanny State MUST DIE!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:36 am 
on probation

The Mpls. 5th Pct. haves about 300 of them as of today....

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:32 am 
Longtime Regular

Are they large and strong enough to be used as bicycle locks?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:47 am 
Longtime Regular

I'm thinking they're those rather inexpensive padlock style with the cable.
If so, I think one could be used for a bike lock, but I sure wouldn't think it's stand up to wire cutters very well.
At least the ones I have seem that way.
Definately not in the Kryptonite lock quality realm, IMHO.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:49 am 
Longtime Regular

chunkstyle wrote:
Are they large and strong enough to be used as bicycle locks?

Looks like they're the same yellow "Project Childsafe" ones the Hennepin sheriffs gave me when I got my carry permit, so I'd say marginally yes (unless you're like my friend at work who spent $4000 on her graphite-frame mountain bike). It's stouter than the one that came with my Kimber, and WAY stouter than the one that came with my Charles Daly.

As far as size, it's the size you typically get with a pistol. I'd say you could get it around a frame tube and a bike rack, but not through a wheel too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:47 pm 
Longtime Regular

It might make a good fishing weight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 3:53 pm 
Longtime Regular

At the SO's request I went to the station one evening to pick a couple of them up and had them in my pocket. While walking home, I unintentionally found that one worked really well for me in a close quarters self defense situation against a knife, in lieu of using a firearm.......and no it wasn't attached to my firearm at the time.:roll:

So since it was issued by the gendarmes, in this situation I technically utilized it as a personal safety device. It sure left some big, ugly welts.......SO yes they work well as a safety device, don't know about as bike locks......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 6:09 pm 
Longtime Regular

hammAR wrote:
At the SO's request I went to the station one evening to pick a couple of them up and had them in my pocket. While walking home, I unintentionally found that one worked really well for me in a close quarters self defense situation against a knife, in lieu of using a firearm.......and no it wasn't attached to my firearm at the time.:roll:

Rough neighborhood. When was this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:57 am 
Longtime Regular

Sorry, Andrew, it was entirely factious and meant as a tongue-in-cheek poke.

My bad.............sorry to all

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:04 am 
Longtime Regular

hammAR wrote:
Sorry, Andrew, it was entirely factious and meant as a tongue-in-cheek poke.

My bad.............sorry to all

Factious ??? Is that a mix of fact and it being fictitious ?? It's hard to keep up with you folks and your "wordsmithing" :shock:

:D

"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." [...a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand.] -- (Lucius Annaeus) Seneca "the Younger" (ca. 4 BC-65 AD),

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:39 am 
Longtime Regular

Not so much word smithing as spelling. I'm guessing the word he was going for was facetious. I didn't know how to spell it either, I had to look it up.
My spelling skills have gone to pot in the decades since I graduated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:51 am 
Longtime Regular

Brewman, apparently you forgot the thread where Andrew made up a word and the several that followed. Kind of like "misunderestimated". :D
Besides, I was being "facetious". I guess my humour didn't carry over onto the board very well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:04 am 
Longtime Regular

Or perhaps I'm humor impaired. Could be either.

Still, glad everyone is safe and sound. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:16 am 
Longtime Regular

Hey, hammAR, I'm glad you clarified.

Just yesterday I saw something about a study somebody did, the results of which were something like: people think they can tell 80% of the time whether the author of a piece of text is being serious or not, but they are actually correct only 50% of the time. So if you're going to be subtle, prepare to be misunderstood.

But anyway back to the original point, which is that smacking somebody with one of these locks might be pretty darn effective. Plus, you can leave it at the scene it and replace it for free. I think I'll start carrying mine.

[EDIT:] Just kidding.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.