Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:44 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 ? about classes for the novice 
 Post subject: ? about classes for the novice
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 1:25 pm 
Forum Moderator

I am running a Class at the Fargo Gander Mountain on March 4th. The text of the flyer is essentially this:
--
Guns for the Gun Shy: Basic Training in the Safe Use of a Handgun for Recreation and Self-Defense

An introduction to the safe use and handling of handguns for recreation and self-defense. Participants will be able to examine several different models and calibers, revolvers and semi-automatics, and learn the basics of safe operation. This class is designed for the new gun owner or those considering a handgun purchase. In order to have enough materials prepared, pre-registration is required. A second session will be from 4-6 p.m. There is no charge to attend the class.

---
My reason for posting is not to advertise the class, as there likely are not many folks that read here that are in Fargo. My reason for posting is to get feedback from other instructors as to how well attended such classes have been for them. For example, in the past few years I have tried four such classes (this would be the 5th attempt). I have tried them at retail centers and also at my normal class site.

The two I tried at Sportsmans Warehouse had -0- participants; two that I tried at my normal site had one each time (and one of those was advertised as a "women's only class).

I always think that this is a good idea, but at least up here it does not seem to be of any interest. This time Gander is promoting the class as is the local paper and their web site. Yet, I suspect that it will be like the other attempts.

So, what is your experience?? Worth trying again and again?? Maybe up here in the tundra everyone that wants a handgun has one! :)

Contact us to schedule a class for you and your friends, and check our website for more information http://shootingsafely.com

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 1:53 pm 
Longtime Regular

The title implies too far of a stretch for a non-gun person.

You're a math teacher. You don't go from arithmetic to calculus, you teach "concept plus one."

Gun shy folks are horrified at the use of a gun for self defense. Instead, I think you need to simply emphasize the safety part.

"Like it or not," you can say, "Guns are a part of our society. As a responsible (adult/parent/teacher), you have a responsibility to know what to do if you encounter one."

Then do a plain safety & familiarization class.

Some will never overcome their distaste, but many will come to see them as simply another kind of mechanical device.

Then, in subsequent classes, you take them from safety to sport, and from sport to self defense.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 2:02 pm 
Forum Moderator

I am not suggesting your analysis of the Title is not corret, but I have used other less encompassing titles (Introduction to the Safe Use of a Handgun) and that made no difference.

My feeling is that many in the gun education arena think that there are more interested parties out in the hinterland then really exist. Of course, I will try again regardless of the outcome of this attempt, and will try a lesser title until I get this right!

Contact us to schedule a class for you and your friends, and check our website for more information http://shootingsafely.com

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:01 pm 
Delicate Flower

Had a womens only class "Intro to firearms" on the 8th.....5 participants...
Worthwhile, started with safe gun handling then long guns then handguns.
Touched on ammo and other areas briefly.

Have another class thurs nite the 16th @ Gander Forest Lake. Think there are about 10 signed up now ($ 20.00 Fee...money back guarantee). Revising the class materials before then. Using a combination of DNR PP and Permit PP.

Stressed that it is beginner/non-shooting/low key class.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.