Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:30 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 "Ramsey county bans firearms..." 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:18 pm 
Longtime Regular

You need to preface it. Hey, lawyers, is my language okay?

Quote:
According to Commissioner Parker, your office has advised the Board that it is your opinion that the county's ban on firearms at polling places, notwithstanding the possession of a carry permit, is legal and valid.

I can only conclude that you are unfamiliar with Minnesota Statutes 471.633 and 624.714, Subd. 23, which both clearly state that the county is preempted by state law from imposing any such restriction.

Now that you have been made aware of these statutes, please advise the board that such posting is in violation of state law, and enforcement by county officials of the illegal ban may expose the county to liability for deprivation of civil rights under color of law as well as other torts.

Given the short time remaining before the election, I will expect your reply by email or registered mail within the next 48 hours.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:29 pm 
Longtime Regular

Andrew Rothman wrote:
Given the short time remaining before the election, I will expect your reply by email or registered mail within the next 48 hours.

Changed 'registered' to 'certified'. Registered mail is for valuable items, It goes under lock and key and is signed for each step of the way; that's the way they sent the Hope Diamond from CA to the Smithsonian.

Certified requires a signature to claim, and is used to prove receipt of something.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:06 pm 

I like the letter a lot. My only suggestion, and it really is just a personal preference, would be to remove the request for registered/certified mail. Plain old first class mail is all that is required for most legal notices, and it seems appropriate here.

I do think Joe raises a good point about the potential for breaking the camel's back with one too many straws. I mention that just as food for thought.

Ramsey County seems to believe itself exempt from state law relating to permits, so why am I surprised they are doing this? Hmmm, I guess I'm not.

Keep us posted.

"We, as criminal defense lawyers, are forced to deal with some of the lowest people on earth, people who have no sense of right and wrong, people who will lie in court to get what they want, people who do not care who gets hurt in the process. It is our job – our sworn duty as criminal defense lawyers – to protect our clients from those people." -- Cynthia Rosenberry, a DePaul University law professor, criminal defense attorney and founding member of the Georgia Innocence Project

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:34 pm 
Longtime Regular

bkrafft wrote:
Changed 'registered' to 'certified'....

Well, I guess it figures you'd be up on that stuff. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:37 pm 
Longtime Regular

Sent Andrew's revised version.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:15 pm 
Longtime Regular

I am waiting with baited breath, but not holding my breath.

Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:41 pm 
Longtime Regular

Moby Clarke wrote:
I am waiting with baited breath, but not holding my breath.

I must admit I felt the same way, but here is his reply:
Quote:
Dear Mr. Krafft:

I am very familiar with Minnesota Statutes 471.633 and 624.714. Please be assured that I researched the law extensively before I gave the opinion to the Ramsey County Board that they could enact an ordinance banning guns on County property.

The authority for enacting the public safety ordinance stems from Minn. Stat. §624.72 and §375.18. These two sections, read together, give the County Board broad authority to pass rules relating to the use county property. Courts have also recognized the right of municipalities to pass reasonable regulations with respect the use of their property. See Adderly v. Florida, 385 U.S. 39 (1966); Brown v. Louisiana, 383 U.S. 131 (1966).

The sections you cite apply only to a Countywide regulation of firearms or limitation on a permit to carry. For example, Ramsey County could not ban guns in all bars in Ramsey County and cannot impose restrictions on the sale of firearms that are more restrictive that those set by the state. Neither of the statutes cited denies Ramsey County the authority to regulate the presence of weapons on county property.

Darwin Lookingbill
Civil Division Director
Office of the Ramsey County Attorney
(651)266-2755

Now this is the part that caught my eye: "The sections you cite apply only to a Countywide regulation of firearms or <I>limitation on a permit to carry.</i>" So is he saying that the ban in polling places is <I>not</i> a limitation on a permit to carry? In other words permit holders can ignore the signs?

Should I ask for a clarification? Or leave this sleeping dog lie until a more propitious time?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:33 pm 
Longtime Regular

bkrafft wrote:
Should I ask for a clarification? Or leave this sleeping dog lie until a more propitious time?

Like Salt 'n' Peppa said "Push It, push it real good."

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/BCV5yGKWjv4&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/BCV5yGKWjv4&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:56 pm 
Longtime Regular

I went ahead and read the laws that he cited. Correct me if I'm wrong, but to suggest that those laws have anything to do with exemption from state law in any way is REALLY stupid. The closest thing I can find is in 624.72 Subd 3, they might try to make an argument that allowing people to carry would create a threat of a disruption or interference on the property. Other than that, I'm not certain how the county's right to buy property clarifies their right to say "state laws don't apply to us."

Am I totally misinterpreting that guy's logic here? Is that really what he's saying?

I'll have to get those cases next, but in reading them briefly, it looks again like a stupid application of those cases, but I haven't read through them in detail yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:00 pm 
Activist Extraordinaire

Fantastic work, Bruce.

Like Kimberman said, they're now locked into their story, and can't claim that "I was misquoted".

Keep up the pressure.

"Some Things Are Worth Fighting For"
Judas Priest

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:33 pm 
Longtime Regular

Quote:
Neither of the statutes cited denies Ramsey County the authority to regulate the presence of weapons on county property.

Yeah, because "No sheriff, police chief, governmental uni...may change, modify, or supplement these criteria...or limit the exercise of a permit to carry" means that they CAN. In fantasy world, anyway.

The only problem is that no matter how ridiculous, convoluted and backward their legal argument is, I wouldn't put it past a Ramsey County judge to agree with it.

How much justice can you afford? :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 1:07 pm 
Longtime Regular

Quote:
Does anyone else see anything in these two statutes that I am missing?

375.18 Subd. 2. Manage property, funds, business.
Each county board may have the care of the county property...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:45 pm 
Longtime Regular

Looks good to me, but your understanding of the law and his views may differ just a little. :shock:
Good luck.

Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:26 am 
Longtime Regular

Hmmm, most of my previous post seems to have been eaten by the int3rwebz gremlins. Well here is a draft of my letter:
Quote:
Dear Mr. Lookingbill,

In your letter you state "Neither of the statutes cited [Minn. Stat. §471.633 and §624.714, Subd. 23] denies Ramsey County the authority to regulate the presence of weapons on county property". Can you please explain to me why you believe that §624.72 Subd. 23's statement "No sheriff, police chief, governmental unit, government official, government employee, or other person or body acting under color of law or governmental authority may ... limit the exercise of a permit to carry" fails to "den[y] Ramsey County the authority to regulate the presence of weapons on county property" when those weapons are being carried in accordance with §624.72? Could you also please explain how a ban on county property does not constitute a "limitation on a permit to carry"

I am also curious how you can construe §471.633 "The legislature preempts all authority of a home rule charter or statutory city including a city of the first class, county, town, municipal corporation, or other governmental subdivision, or any of their instrumentalities, to regulate firearms, ammunition, or their respective components to the complete exclusion of any order, ordinance or regulation by them" to "apply only to a Countywide regulation of firearms".

You cite Adderly v. Florida as an example of "the right of municipalities to pass reasonable regulations with respect the use of their property" but Adderly specifically states that the defendants were on a nonpublic driveway whereas Ramsey County Public Safety Ordinance 2003-214 specifically applies to public property.

Finally Brown v. Louisiana actually supports my belief that your ordinance is unlawful when it states in paragraph 3 of the holding "Regulation of libraries and other public facilities must be reasonable and nondiscriminatory, and may not be used as a pretext for punishing those who exercise their constitutional rights." Since the "legislature of the state of Minnesota recognizes and declares that the second amendment of the United States Constitution guarantees the fundamental, individual right to keep and bear arms" your ordinance is discriminatory in that it attempts to punish those who exercise their constitutional right to keep and bear arms in accordance with Minn. §624.72.

Thank-you for your time.

Sincerely,

Bruce W. Krafft

Comments, suggestions, rewrites?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:55 am 
Longtime Regular

Awesome.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.