Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:20 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Rep. John Kline on National Capital Security and Safety Act 
 Post subject: Rep. John Kline on National Capital Security and Safety Act
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:30 pm 
Longtime Regular

Quote:
September 17, 2008

Dear Mr. Lenny7:

Knowing of your support for the right to keep and bear arms, I wanted to provide an update on recent legislation that may be of interest to you.

Like you, I am a strong supporter of Second Amendment rights. As a former Marine and avid outdoorsman, I am an experienced firearms owner and user and strongly support the individual right to keep and bear arms for the protection of one's home, property, family, and person. I am especially proud of my "A" rating from the National Rifle Association and will do all I can to protect Second Amendment rights.

As you probably know, the United States Supreme Court ruled on June 26, 2008 that the D.C. gun law unconstitutionally infringed on the right of Americans to protect themselves with firearms under the Second Amendment. Prior to this decision, I had signed an amicus curiae brief in favor of striking down the District of Columbia law as unconstitutional. I also signed a letter to President Bush urging the withdrawal of the Solicitor General's brief, which stated that a prior decision by the Court of Appeals, a victory for gun owners, used the wrong legal standard on Second Amendment rights.

I was proud to cosponsor bill language that was included in the final version of the National Capital Security and Safety Act (H.R. 6842), which passed the House of Representatives on September 16, 2008. This bill repeals the D.C. semi-automatic weapons ban, restores the right of self-defense in the home, and authorizes purchases of firearms by law-abiding D.C. residents through federally approved firearm dealers in Maryland and Virginia. It also repeals the firearm registration requirement currently in place in the District of Columbia. If this bill becomes law, the fundamental right guaranteed in our constitution to own a gun would be restored to law-abiding citizens in our nation's capital. H.R. 6842 currently awaits action in the Senate.

Thank you again for contacting me. Please feel free to do so again regarding any issue of importance to you.

Sincerely,

JOHN KLINE
Member of Congress

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:53 pm 
Longtime Regular

Sweet. At the moment, I'm proud he's my rep.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:07 pm 
Longtime Regular

Kline is a pretty good guy as far as politicians go. He attended an event recently that I helped organize. So while we were waiting for the opportune time for him to speak I was bullshitting with him a bit.

He had just come from a gun show and was talking about the new pistol he had bought. He joked that he thought he could get away with it since he also bought a new holster for his wife, so she can't really yell at him.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.