Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:53 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Judges 
 Post subject: Judges
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:00 pm 

I admit that I don't know much about the judges that are up for election. I'm in Hennepin County. Any judges I should vote for...or against?

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:58 am 

My personal experience with Judge James Swenson has not been positive, so I'll be supporting his opponent, Tom Haeg. Tom was a longtime district court referee, so judging cases would be nothing new to him. Though my practice never took me to family court or housing court - where he served - those who have appeared before him were consistently impressed.

As for the contest between Jane Ranum and David Piper for an open seat, I'm supporting Piper. He too has been a longtime district court referee, so has some experience that makes him well-suited to serve as a judge. I know neither of them personally, but have heard more good about Piper than Ranum.

The only other contested races are at the Supreme Court level. I plan to support the incumbants, though the Deborah Hedlund/Lorie Gildea race might be an exception. I still haven't decided.

"We, as criminal defense lawyers, are forced to deal with some of the lowest people on earth, people who have no sense of right and wrong, people who will lie in court to get what they want, people who do not care who gets hurt in the process. It is our job – our sworn duty as criminal defense lawyers – to protect our clients from those people." -- Cynthia Rosenberry, a DePaul University law professor, criminal defense attorney and founding member of the Georgia Innocence Project

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:02 am 
The Man

I know Jane Ranum. If she were running against Osama Bin Laden, Hitler, or Darth Vader, I'd be conflicted. She isn't; I'm not.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 6:17 pm 
Wise Elder

Hennepin County
Vote for the opponent of Jane Ranum (NRA rated "F" as state Senator).
VOTE for DAVID PIPER.

Ramsey County
Vote for the opponent of Howard Orenstein (NRA rated "F-" as state Representative).
VOTE for GAIL CHANG-BOHR.

Piper and Chang-Bohr appear to be neutral on guns.
Even if they weren't, we'd vote for them over proven "F"'s.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:48 pm 

Is there, or could someone compile, a list of pro-gun candidates up and down the local ballots?

Or maybe it'd be easier (less controversial?) to create a list of anti-gun folks on the ballots? ie. we're not telling you who to vote for, rather who would take your guns away if you vote for them...

The goal simply being a central location for information that is likely going to get spread across many threads in the next few weeks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:06 am 
Longtime Regular

So, is there an opinion on

Tinglestad vs Anderson
Hedlund vs Gildea
Stoneburner vs Griffith
Bush vs Link
??

--------------------
Next MN carry permit class: TBD.

Permit to Carry MN
--------------------

jason <at> metrodefense <dot> com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:32 am 
Longtime Regular

princewally wrote:

Tinglestad vs Anderson
Hedlund vs Gildea
Stoneburner vs Griffith
Bush vs Link
??

Tinglestad is very conservative, and is openly Christian. He'd like to bring his Christrian viewpoint to the bench. Look HERE

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:06 pm 
Raving Moderate

tman065 wrote:
princewally wrote:

Tinglestad vs Anderson
Hedlund vs Gildea
Stoneburner vs Griffith
Bush vs Link
??

Tinglestad is very conservative, and is openly Christian. He'd like to bring his Christrian viewpoint to the bench. Look HERE

Indeed. Not suitable to the Court, in my mind; I don't mind if he's a bit over-the-top religionwise in his personal life, but he's openly stated he intends to bring that to the Court, which I find quite scary.

(Much in the same way I have issues with Rep. Bachmann, but that's another thread... :wink: )

My real name is Jeremiah (go figure). ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:16 pm 

tman065 wrote:
princewally wrote:

Tinglestad vs Anderson
Hedlund vs Gildea
Stoneburner vs Griffith
Bush vs Link
??

Thanks, tman065

You never really know much about the judges on the ballot unless you do your own work most of the time

Tinglestad will get my vote

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:11 am 
Longtime Regular

I received this via e-mail:

Quote:
Listen to Dan Griffith, candidate for Appellate Court Judge, as he visits with Twin Cities talk show host, Jason Lewis on 100.3 FM, or at www.ktlkfm.com , on Wednesday evening, October 22nd from 6:00 until 6:30 p.m. Dan will be talking about our need to keep our judges accountable to the people they serve and preserve our constitutional right to vote for judges. Please e-mail this message to others across Minnesota and encourage as many people as possible to visit Dan's website at www.griffithforjudge.com

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:32 am 

I completely forgot that Judge Phil Bush is being challenged by some guy named Link who has stayed completely below the radar. No comments to the press, no participation in candidates forums, no nothing. Kind of a strange candidacy.

I have tried cases in front of Judge Bush and he is a good, fair judge. He knows the law better than most. I also had him as a professor at the U of M and know him to be a good person. He'll certainly have my vote, both because he's earned it on his own merits, and because his opponent seems to be unwilling to let anyone know anything about himself or why he should be elected. I'm guessing he just figured that the name "Bush" might not be a particularly popular one this time around.

As for the rest of the incumbents I didn't mention above, I'll vote for them as well.

"We, as criminal defense lawyers, are forced to deal with some of the lowest people on earth, people who have no sense of right and wrong, people who will lie in court to get what they want, people who do not care who gets hurt in the process. It is our job – our sworn duty as criminal defense lawyers – to protect our clients from those people." -- Cynthia Rosenberry, a DePaul University law professor, criminal defense attorney and founding member of the Georgia Innocence Project

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:34 pm 
Longtime Regular

I still have a blank for the contested seat for Supreme Court Associate Justice 4.

The incumbent has a wikipedia entry: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lorie_Skjerven_Gildea

And the challenger has a lengthy C.J. column: http://www.startribune.com/lifestyle/11351461.html

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Orenstein's LONG anti-gun record.
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:11 pm 
Wise Elder

Howard Orenstein (candidate for Ramsey County District Court Judge in Seat 21) was the MOST effective and dedicated anti-gun Minnesota legislator from 1987 to 1996 (while the DFL controlled the Senate, House and Governor).

He is responsible for these restrictions (among others):
(1) adding rifles and shotguns to the list of pistol possession disqualifications in 624.713, subd. 1;
(2) repeatedly sponsoring bills to BAN/REGISTER "evil black rifles" and succeeding in requiring "assault weapon" purchase from dealers to be under the PISTOL transferee permit requirement in 624.7131 & .7132; and
(3) limiting private sales of pistols and assault weapons by exposing sellers to criminal liability for its subsequent misuse if they don't demand the buyer present a transferee permit - 609.66, subd. 1f.

He used to carry around a folder of pre-prepared anti-gun amendments just looking for a chance to stick one on a passing bill.

He also formed CSM, initially ran it, and got millions of dollars from out of state foundation grants for it.

He is biased, dedicated, and truly our enemy.

VOTE for his opponent - Carol Chang-Bohr. SHE is not biased.

Last edited by kimberman on Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:34 pm 
Longtime Regular

joelr wrote:
I know Jane Ranum.

I keep remembering listening to her stand there, on the floor of the Senate, ranting about how terrible it was that the carry bill wouldn't allow sheriffs to consider acquittals as grounds to deny.

In the mouths of some, I'd consider that ignorance. In the mouth of an Assistant Hennepin County Attorney, I consider it dangerously misguided.

She's no business sitting on a bench, and she's unfit to serve as a prosecutor.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:22 pm 
Longtime Regular

princewally wrote:

Stoneburner vs Griffith

Stoneburner was one of the judges siding with the churches and agreed that they were exempt from MCPPA
http://twincitiescarry.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7729

She is interviewed here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAWvvBoZo-I
and
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSGOGfpb3Gc&feature=related

I won't be voting for her.

More video interviews of folks running for judge positions can be found here:
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=MinnesotaLawyer&view=videos
included are
James Swenson
Paul Anderson
Terri SToneburner
Deborah Hedlund
Lorie Skjerven Gildea
Philip Bush
Thomas Haeg
Jane Ranum
David Piper

Deborah Hedlund has several vids here
http://www.youtube.com/user/DeborahHedlund

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.