Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:08 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Making Change Happen: ... Getting Your Message Heard 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 2:24 pm 
Longtime Regular

The building is owned by a commie group http://www.aauw.org/ http://www.stpaulcollegeclub.com/A/m.htm so I am sure it posted.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 4:04 pm 

Power from wind is a good idea but can't be used for base load because it is not consistent. Generating power with natural gas is a disgrace and is why the nation must import it. Thanks Al and Bill.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 8:28 pm 
Longtime Regular

Suited wrote:
Power from wind is a good idea but can't be used for base load because it is not consistent. Generating power with natural gas is a disgrace and is why the nation must import it. Thanks Al and Bill.

I'm not sure we're too short of natural gas, but the wind blows almost all the time somewhere. Very little gas is actually used because the wind is pretty consistant. It's why wind should be distributed, not all in the same park. It's a myth that wind can't be used as base.

The real reason power companies don't like wind, is because they won't be able to own the power source, they have to pay the ranchers and farmers for wind.

If they could own it, the "base" issue would disappear right away.

Hydrogen generators are now in use. The windmills make hydrogen from water, at times when extra power is not needed on the grid. The hydrogen can run a generator for exrtra energy when needed. On a smaller scale, some generators are simply run with compressed air.

And in Austin Texas, (OK, a pretty liberal town), there are supposedly enough hybred cars that the batteries in the cars plugged in for charging are actually used for storage and to modulate the electricity, so nothing is wasted.

The health care cost associated with respiratory diseases associated with air pollution is enormous. And, they say 600 coal plants produce one half of all the air pollution.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 10:19 pm 
Longtime Regular

I got another email from CSM about this event (I'm on their mailing list...know thine enemy) and ended up checking out more info and poking around their site.

I was looking at the list of their board of directors and noticed a unique name...Tomo Foote-Lennox.

Googling that name, I found some very interesting info on this guy. Turns out he is, or was, some director of censorship with a web filter company, Secure Computing. How appropriate. A guy who wants to control what people see online also wants to control our guns.

I also found out he's just a big baby.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 7:14 am 
Longtime Regular

Lenny7 wrote:
...director of censorship with a web filter company, Secure Computing. How appropriate...

Sadly, in today's business world, web filters are a necessary. (And as you can tell by my post frequency I control the filter at my company.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 7:23 pm 

SultanOfBrunei wrote:
Lenny7 wrote:
...director of censorship with a web filter company, Secure Computing. How appropriate...

Sadly, in today's business world, web filters are a necessary. (And as you can tell by my post frequency I control the filter at my company.)

They're still a royal pain in the @$$. The one I have to deal with will not let me go to the forum. It is banned because it is a "Weapons" site. I guess they think I'm trying to find a way to go postal because they prohibit me from carrying at work.

I still think it's a stupid policy. :evil:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 8:27 pm 
Journeyman Member

Dick Unger wrote:
And, they say 600 coal plants produce one half of all the air pollution.

I have a hard time believing this in the current day, or the air pollution problem has vastly diminished. The stack gas of a coal plant today is not what our father's/grand fathers saw.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 6:49 am 
Longtime Regular

No, it's a little better. Coal has gone from 38% to 44% efficiency. Sort of like putting a filter on a cigarette, so it will be healthy to breathe. Coal plants produce only one half of the air pollution in the US, so this new 6%efficiency should translate into a 3% reduction in the part of your medical insurance that goes to buy inhalers and pay for your cancer treatments.

Only about 80% of "coal" contains combustable material, so the heavy metals remain not burned, and will either be blasted into the air or left in the slag pile, which is 20% of the coal. This is usually buried or used in concrete, so it can eventually leach into the ground.

The CO2 still is released, and the upsteam side (mining) of coal is still a mess.

And the enormous water consumption; well, we give them the water for free, and deny the water permits to the downstream industries and farms and towns.

And the coal plants cost billions, and require huge powerlines to send the power long distances, while another 10 to 30% is to electrical resistance. But, it's all paid for by consumers, who are required to reimbuse the regulated monopoly who sells them the power. (Hey, we can't have capitalism for just EVERYBODY!)

But, that way, the power company doesn't have to buy the power from individual landowner/ entrpreneurs, as in Europe.

"Clean Coal" is a farce.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.