Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:21 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Respecting States Rights and Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act 
 Post subject: Respecting States Rights and Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:59 am 
Longtime Regular

What the word on this? Link

Quote:
S 3207 IS

110th CONGRESS
2d Session
S. 3207
To amend chapter 44 of title 18, United States Code, to allow citizens who have concealed carry permits from the State in which they reside to carry concealed firearms in another State that grants concealed carry permits, if the individual complies with the laws of the State.
IN THE SENATE OF THE UNITED STATES
June 26, 2008
Mr. VITTER (for himself, Mr. BURR, Mr. DEMINT, Mr. STEVENS, and Mr. ENSIGN) introduced the following bill; which was read twice and referred to the Committee on the Judiciary

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A BILL
To amend chapter 44 of title 18, United States Code, to allow citizens who have concealed carry permits from the State in which they reside to carry concealed firearms in another State that grants concealed carry permits, if the individual complies with the laws of the State.
Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,
SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE.
This Act may be cited as the ‘Respecting States Rights and Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act of 2008’.
SEC. 2. RECIPROCITY FOR THE CARRYING OF CERTAIN CONCEALED FIREARMS.
(a) In General- Chapter 44 of title 18, United States Code, is amended by inserting after section 926C the following:
‘Sec. 926D. Reciprocity for the carrying of certain concealed firearms
‘Notwithstanding any provision of the law of any State or political subdivision thereof:
‘(1) A person who is not prohibited by Federal law from possessing, transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm, and is carrying a valid license or permit which is issued pursuant to the law of any State and which permits the person to carry a concealed firearm, may carry in any State a concealed firearm in accordance with the terms of the license or permit, subject to the laws of the State in which the firearm is carried concerning specific types of locations in which firearms may not be carried.
‘(2) A person who is not prohibited by Federal law from possessing, transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm, and is otherwise than as described in paragraph (1) entitled to carry a concealed firearm in and pursuant to the law of the State in which the person resides, may carry in any State a concealed firearm in accordance with the laws of the State in which the person resides, subject to the laws of the State in which the firearm is carried concerning specific types of locations in which firearms may not be carried.’.
(b) Clerical Amendment- The table of sections for chapter 44 of title 18 is amended by inserting after the item relating to section 926C the following:
‘926D. Reciprocity for the carrying of certain concealed firearms.’.
SEC. 3. EFFECTIVE DATE.
The amendments made by this Act shall take effect 90 days after the date of enactment of this Act.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:02 pm 
Wise Elder

DOA so long as the Democrats hold a majority in the US Senate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:52 am 
Longtime Regular

This is what we want, right? Each state keeps their own sovereign gun laws, but recognizes other state's permits. And no federalization of permits.

Sort of like a driver's license. Your license is good in other states and their laws apply when you are in that state.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:47 pm 
Longtime Regular

DeanC wrote:
This is what we want, right? Each state keeps their own sovereign gun laws, but recognizes other state's permits. And no federalization of permits.

Yea, I think so.
DeanC wrote:
Sort of like a driver's license. Your license is good in other states and their laws apply when you are in that state.

I thought about this the other day. In MN a front license plate is required, in many others states it is not. Can an out of state visitor to MN be ticketed for no front plate?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:05 pm 
Longtime Regular

SultanOfBrunei wrote:
I thought about this the other day. In MN a front license plate is required, in many others states it is not. Can an out of state visitor to MN be ticketed for no front plate?

Never seen it happen. Live with guys from out of state for a couple years in college who didn't have front plates.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:11 pm 

When I was on the street with Park, I never wrote for missing front plates if it was an our of state plate, precisely because I didn't know the rules in that state. It wasn't worth what headaches it could have caused.

Minneapolis Police/Fire Dispatcher

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:48 pm 
Wise Elder

SultanOfBrunei wrote:
In MN a front license plate is required, in many others states it is not. Can an out of state visitor to MN be ticketed for no front plate?

No. It's their registration scheme so their law controls.
There is a multi-state contract which governs this (not a federal law). All States and Territories are parties to it.

MN requires TWO plates and new ones every SEVEN years so that 3M can sell more Scotchlite. I know because I watched their lobbyists get the seven year law enacted sometime in the 1980's.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:50 pm 

kimberman wrote:
DOA so long as the Democrats hold a majority in the US Senate.

Its sad isn't it.

"Ours was the first revolution in the history of mankind that truly reversed the course of goverment with three little words 'We The People'. We the people tell the government what to do, It doesn't tell us."
The Late Great Ronald Reagan

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
-Aristotle

Campus Leader-IHCC
Students for Concealed Carry on Campus
www.concealedcampus.org

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:51 pm 
Longtime Regular

kimberman wrote:
MN requires TWO plates and new ones every SEVEN years so that 3M can sell more Scotchlite. I know because I watched their lobbyists get the seven year law enacted sometime in the 1980's.

Free market capitalism at work? :? :x Buy a politician.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.