Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:48 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
 Leatherworking, and experimentation. 
 Post subject: Leatherworking, and experimentation.
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:20 pm 

So I have been getting into leatherworking lately, and I was poking through a bag of scrap pieces, when I discovered two pieces that looked like they could be used for something I have been wanting to make.

In further speculation I remembered that I do not have an IWB holster for my Mak, and so I was off to try to cobble something together.

My only real complaint with this project is that I didn't think to take pictures until I had already gotten pretty far into it.

The first picture is after I have formed the "front" piece, and stitched it to the backing piece.

I formed the front by saran wrapping my pistol then forming the wet leather over the pistol. Once I had it contoured to the Mak, I grabbed whatever I had on the workbench to hold the edges down. you may notice a few discolorations, apparently hammers and hatchets sitting on wet leather will do that.

This is what the fine Makarov looked like in my beginning holster. This is the point that I started thinking this may actually work.
Unfortunatly I didn't have anything else for a holster, as I have just been working on simple stuff (stamping, and carving pieces then stitching them into something like a keychain fob :))

So off to the store to pick up some more hardware....
I figured I wanted to make this one of those "tuckables" so I picked up the clips and cut up some little leather tabs to attach them to the holster.

After I got everything attached, I realized that if I didn't do a little extra work and make it look at least slightly more finished, it would bug me forever, so as you can see above I cut it down a bit, and contoured the thing to look like I had intended that shape all along :)

the last 2 pictures are pretty bad, but they kind of get the point across.
(I swear that mirror didn't look that dirty until the flash went off)

It's hard to tell by the pictures, but this thing surprised me with how well it concealed everything (other then the silver clips, which was all the leather store sells). I had toyed with dying the holster black, but I think I will leave it for now, as I may need to make adjustments once I have worn it for awhile.

My only big complaints so far is the shiny silver clips, and the fact that reholstering this one handed would be pretty much be impossible.

as for comfort it's pretty good I have been sitting here with it on, and I haven't really noticed it. I'm curious to see what comes of this after a few days of "breaking in".

"Don't put your trust in revolutions. They always come around again. That's why they're called revolutions. People die, and nothing changes."
-- (Terry Pratchett, Night Watch)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 7:41 am 
Longtime Regular

Be VERY careful, Jeff....

You keep puting stuff like this together and you just might find yourself getting some unwanted attention in the order of "Think you might be able to make one of those for a [insert model and caliber here]?"...

Nice work!!!

-Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 7:49 am 
Longtime Regular

My first holster is sitting half-finished since summer. I got busy with another gun project. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:06 am 
1911 tainted

Quote:
My only big complaints so far is the shiny silver clips,

What about covering them with heat shrink, or dip them in a can of that stuff you can buy at Menards to coat tool handles with?

Just throwing out some thoughts,,,,,,,

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:22 am 

cobb wrote:
Quote:
My only big complaints so far is the shiny silver clips,

What about covering them with heat shrink, or dip them in a can of that stuff you can buy at Menards to coat tool handles with?

Just throwing out some thoughts,,,,,,,

I was toying with the thought of using something like an oven blueing, but the tool coating may be a better option.

I'll probably do that after I have worn it around for a week or two, I want to make sure that I don't have to do any major adjustments. I will probably black the clips and dye the leather at the same time.

I promised to make my wife a purse, then I can start looking at my next project...hmmm, I wonder if I built a holster into my wifes purse if she would let me buy a new gun to put in there...

"Don't put your trust in revolutions. They always come around again. That's why they're called revolutions. People die, and nothing changes."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:33 am 
Longtime Regular

Jeff Boucher-Zamzo wrote:
I was toying with the thought of using something like an oven blueing, but the tool coating may be a better option.

I'll probably do that after I have worn it around for a week or two, I want to make sure that I don't have to do any major adjustments. I will probably black the clips and dye the leather at the same time.

I promised to make my wife a purse, then I can start looking at my next project...hmmm, I wonder if I built a holster into my wifes purse if she would let me buy a new gun to put in there...

Brownells has some bake on lacquer you could try; it's pretty robust and takes a lot to wear off. I've used it to renovate the old CZ75 "tropical finish" (paint)

UT BCI Certified Conceal/Carry Instructor

"If you expect the police to always be able to protect you, why are the ones who show up at crimes called 'detectives' instead of 'defenders'? Detectives try to find a criminal after they've committed a crime."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 9:40 am 
Longtime Regular

Andrew Rothman wrote:
My first holster is sitting half-finished since summer. I got busy with another gun project. :)

I've had a nice piece of rayskin, a new leather awl, etc.. sitting in a box since last summer.

So much for winter projects

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:09 am 
Delicate Flower

speaking of leather.......... I have some leftover scraps of various sizes....too good to toss. Free for the asking. PM or call 651-731-9724

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:15 am 
Longtime Regular

So where could a guy go (in the south or west metro) to get started working with leather? I think I have been properly motivated to try my hand at leathersmithing...

Any good one-stop shops I might visit to get the tools/equipment/supplies/knowledge to give it a go?

-Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:26 am 
The Man

e5usmc wrote:
Be VERY careful, Jeff....

You keep puting stuff like this together and you just might find yourself getting some unwanted attention in the order of "Think you might be able to make one of those for a [insert model and caliber here]?"...
Distinctly possible. I've got an idea for a radical high-rise holster rig that I've been wanting to talk somebody into making . . .

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 2:57 pm 

e5usmc wrote:
So where could a guy go (in the south or west metro) to get started working with leather? I think I have been properly motivated to try my hand at leathersmithing...

Any good one-stop shops I might visit to get the tools/equipment/supplies/knowledge to give it a go?

I've been getting my stuff mostly at Tandy, they have pretty much everything I need so far. They are located just south of 494 on Portland avenue in bloomington. they are in the stripmall on the west side of Portland.

There is also a leather place on Nicollet Ave and around 34th? street in Minneapolis. Greys leather, they have hides and some supplies for stitching, dyeing and cutting.

Seemed like a pretty good guy, and very helpful. Actually both places have been pretty helpful; they have answered all of my dumb questions, and thats not a small number I tell you. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 4:05 pm 
Longtime Regular

e5usmc wrote:

Ditto on Tandy Leather. I've had several good experiences there; it's not their fault I'm so slow.

As I wrote on my blog last summer:

Quote:
I'm still working on my first handmade leather holster (although obviously not very hard -- it's been a couple of weeks since I touched it). It's a brilliant plan -- buy $100 worth of tools and materials to avoid paying $50 or so for a good holster. Genius.

I stopped by Tandy Leather in Richfield, just south of Minneapolis, for some dye, wax and an edge beveler. The employees there were really, really great about answering my questions, as they were last time.

I'd brought along the half-finished holster just in case, and when one employee though that I may have made it too big, I asked if anyone would mind if I showed him the gun. He said to go ahead.

I was dressed in shorts and a t-shirt, and in the store with my three-year-old daughter (who thought that the bags of shiny brass rivets were pretty).

I think that they were a bit surprised when I pulled a full-sized Ruger KP95D out of my SmartCarry holster. I cleared the gun and handed it to the employee, then showed him how I envisioned it fitting in the holster.

At one point, the female employee asked, "Are you a police officer?"

"Nope!" I answered cheerfully, and that was the end of it.

(It's good to live in a free country.)

Upon reflection, I would hazard a guess that folks that are interested in leather work are more likely to also be interested in things like motorcycles, horses or self-sufficiency, and thus less...um...gun-shy than average.

Pretty cool, anyway.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.