Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:56 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 The Proper way to reholster 
 Post subject: The Proper way to reholster
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:05 pm 

I just got done reading multiple posts on morons who shot themslves in the foot because they didn't reholster properly.
This subject was not covered in my ccw class.
What is the proper procedure in order to be safe?
Other than doing it slowly, I understand that part!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:32 pm 
Longtime Regular

Here is a couple of suggestions.

Keep your finger off the trigger.
Safety on if it has one.
Guide the barrel and make sure the hold down strap if so made does not go into the trigger area.
Verify it is seated and reattach the hold down strap if you have one.

Just my thoughts and what I do except for the safety due to all my carry guns are DAO. :wink:

Side Guard Holsters
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 6:22 am 
Designated waste of protoplasm

Slowly and Deliberately.

Emphasis on SLOWLY

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 6:25 am 
Longtime Regular

I talked to someone at Bill's ( I really need to start getting names, I've gotten exceptional service and advice there) who said that there are either 4 or 8 distinct steps to the draw depending on how retentive you are about it. I'm now wondering what the steps are, and what their corresponding holstering steps are.

Anyone care to comment? Pictures? Descriptions?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 6:35 am 

4 Point Draw

1 - Support side hand on chest - firing hand obtaining a grip on gun coming down sharply

2 - support side han still on chest firing hand draws weapo straight up just out of holster

3 - support side han still on chest - firing hand rotating 90 degrees bringing gun parallel to ground in a close in firing position

4 - firing hand and support hand meet at the midde of chest and push gun out building isometric tension and sights are aligned on target - slacking out the trigger and making the decision to shoot or not to shoot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 7:14 am 

Pinnacle wrote:
4 Point Draw

1 - Support side hand on chest - firing hand obtaining a grip on gun coming down sharply

2 - support side han still on chest firing hand draws weapo straight up just out of holster

3 - support side han still on chest - firing hand rotating 90 degrees bringing gun parallel to ground in a close in firing position

4 - firing hand and support hand meet at the midde of chest and push gun out building isometric tension and sights are aligned on target - slacking out the trigger and making the decision to shoot or not to shoot.

And as a continuation of this (back in the direction of the thread title) you should reverse these steps to re-holster your firearm. In Ralph Mroz's book, he comments on how many of the people that carry break safety rule 2 while holstering(NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT WILLING TO DESTROY ). If you watch people holster more often then not they will "tip" the barrel in towards their body when holstering. He suggests(of course it may have come from somewhere else, before he published it) drawing the pistol back to your pectoral, then with your thumb touching your side slide the pistol down and into you holster, just like you are reversing the point draw.

Of course this would go along with Srigs's fine suggestions also.

$0.02

"Don't put your trust in revolutions. They always come around again. That's why they're called revolutions. People die, and nothing changes."
-- (Terry Pratchett, Night Watch)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 7:25 am 

Yeah

Safety rules apply - certainly - but drawing from holster is not a novice actvity - one should ALWAYS follow the RULES of safety.

ESPECIALLY when working with a holster - this is where there is the HIGHEST probablity of a ND.

You want to work with a holster - get some professional instruction - seriously - it is not as easy or as safe as people make it out to be. There are too many people out there that are too wound up in FAST - worry more about smooth and consistent and safe.

SPeed comes later - there is nothing like watching and entire line of shooters race their guns BACK INTO THE HOLSTER - talk about making me have that not so fresh feeling.

Ease that puppy back into containment - always being mindful that most ND's happen on the way back into the holster - draw is one thing - reholster - reverse of draw - I did leave out a step - but who is counting.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:44 am 
Longtime Regular

The only thing I'd emphasize is that while there's sometimes a need to draw from holster quickly, there is never a need to re-holster quickly.

Calm down, take your time.

Make sure you're not going to snag a bit of your shirt on the way.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 6:59 am 

Yeah watch out for those little pull deals on pullover garments like windbreakers - you get one of those in the trigger guard and you are just asking for trouble.

I saw a 230 gr ball round turn a guys leg into a canoe once - 1911 Cocked Unlocked - back into holster and BANG - Explitives to follow and much howling like a dog in heat....

Funny thing this guy was back on the range the very next day - tough bastard on 2 fronts - back in excruciating pain - and embarrased in front of 30 other students.

All was well - lucky for him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 5:47 pm 

Pinnacle wrote:
There are too many people out there that are too wound up in FAST - worry more about smooth and consistent and safe.

+ 1,000,000

Even with your (irritating) retention holster, it was possible to be reasonable quick just through taking my time and worrying about SMOOTH instead of fast.

Of course, I was also willing to STOP if my finger didn't hit the right spot on the release when indexing.

Slow is smooth and smooth is fast.

:wink:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 8:48 am 

Learn a proper draw stroke,from an instructor,who,if he or she is worth the $ you are paying them,will also teach you to reverse the draw stroke to reholster,this also doubles the repititions,making it faster to learn.
The term I use is RELUCTANTLY,as in I just drew my gun and I think the threat is over but I want to be really sure before I reholster.Also whenever I shoot,after firing a string the first thing I do after scanning the area is to decock or on safe my pistol EVERY TIME! This way it becomes an ingrained thing and I am much less likely to try to reholster a cocked offsafe pistol under stress [I have seen it happen]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 6:19 pm 
Longtime Regular

Quote:

Don't ask the DEA. :wink:

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 6:35 pm 
Longtime Regular

matt160 wrote:
Quote:

Don't ask the DEA. :wink:

ROTFLMAO!!!!! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 2:16 am 

dcwn.45 wrote:
Learn a proper draw stroke,from an instructor,who,if he or she is worth the $ you are paying them,will also teach you to reverse the draw stroke to reholster,this also doubles the repititions,making it faster to learn.
The term I use is RELUCTANTLY,as in I just drew my gun and I think the threat is over but I want to be really sure before I reholster.Also whenever I shoot,after firing a string the first thing I do after scanning the area is to decock or on safe my pistol EVERY TIME! This way it becomes an ingrained thing and I am much less likely to try to reholster a cocked offsafe pistol under stress [I have seen it happen]

OK so, with all the instructors who participate on this site, who offers a defensive handgunning course that covers the basics of the draw and reholster?
Websites and links to course info would be greatly appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 12:33 pm 

I'll put one together if we can find a place to have it. I don't know of any indoor ranges that allow holster work, so that will limit things to an outdoor range. I do have the use of one. However, it's about 65 miles south of the cities, so there would be some travel time involved. From time to time I do help some LE folks with their holster work, and they've been more than pleased with the results. This could be an interesting and educational day. Joel can speak for my background.

Don

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.